Mike
Years ago

One of the strangest fan comments I've ever read

From The West Australian paper yesterday:

"US born fan Kari Pnacek said the crowds in Perth were like nothing she had seen."

"The games here are quite different but the crowd here is amazing compared to any other crowd I have seen."

And here's the kicker -

"In the US, watching a Basketball game is very quiet."

What. Da. Fuq. Is. She. Smoking.

Topic #41015 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well its funny, I watched Knicks and Magic play at Maddison Square and agreed it was very quiet. I expected quite the opposite. No music playing during the game, no chants. The crowd erupted once there was a spectaular play but thats about it. Overall a very different experience to the wildcats. I was in awe of the size of the venue tho. Its unreal.

Reply #630210 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

What about college games. They are insane

Reply #630211 | Report this post

Agent 15  
Years ago

In 2012 I watched Orlando Magic vs New Jersey Nets and I agree it doesnt have the same atmosphere as a Perth Wildcats game... its not quiet but it isnt as loud as a Cats game.

Reply #630214 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah the NBA is very quiet unless you're in Boston Oklahoma Oakland San Antonio or Cleveland.

The MSG and Staples center crowds are quiet and boring.

College is completely different obviously, that's where the amazing atmosphere is

Reply #630215 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

MSG and Staples full of tourists

Reply #630216 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would have to agree, most NBA arenas I've been to are more like an audience than a passionate fan base.

Obviously still some very good crowds though, and it goes up noticeably once playoffs hit in correlation with the players' intensity!

Reply #630217 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

Despite the similarities, there are many differences between here and the USA.
Here, well-heeled fans will pay for courtside seats and scream their guts out.
American "blue bloods" put the Brits to shame when it comes to upper-crust snobbery.
I would imagine that a lot of fans at for instance a Knicks game would be very reserved.
But I suppose College games would attract more of your ordinary joes.

Reply #630218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fans where Sobey will be playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FDScVBEJ0Y

Reply #630219 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Isn't the college season short and the NBA season long? Does that mean more hangs on a win vs a loss in college basketball than NBA, during (most of) the respective regular seasons? That might contribute to lower excitement levels among the NBA crowds.

Reply #630221 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I have to agree somewhat with the article.

I went to Staples in 2008 to see Celtics Vs Lakers and apart from a big pre-game celebration where it was an Nnnth game that the C's and the Lakers have clashed, it was quiet from there on. Probably because the C's were winning the whole game too.

Reply #630228 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

NBA regular season games are fairly quiet to be honest

Reply #630229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares about the noise. I care about the basketball. After seeing live NBA couldn't go back to live NBL... lol

I guess for n00bs more noise = awesome

Reply #630231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? This is one random persons opinion with no pull in the circles of basketball. You won't the title be done with it. But I've been too some warriors games and I can tell you it's not even close when the likes of curry get going. Soooo... guess I get my own topic now?

Reply #630241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also you're comparing 1 of 82 regular season games too a gf. Cmon now.

Reply #630242 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I remember a comment re this during the Olympics from a U.S. Commentator and they said that their fans more cheer plays while euro crowds tend to clap to music etc

Reply #630245 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

PeterJohn, I think it just has more to do with the culture than number of games

Reply #630246 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I've watched plenty of NBA games where the atmosphere looked awesome, that's why I found this comment very strange.

Reply #630247 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You must be watching some very specific games....

Unless you're watching OKC/GSW home games, it's hard to find games where the crowd makes any noise at all!

Reply #630248 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Was lucky enough to see a Lakers game at Staples and a Knicks game at MSG.

Both teams were in the early stages of perhaps one of their worst seasons of all time. Certainly the Knicks, who were 5-34 at the time on their way to 17 wins. Cant remember where the Lakers were but they down near the bottom and Kobe just got injured.

Both games had an atmosphere that will put you to sleep. Id say that a lot of fans were just tourists, and actual fans there would have already given up on the team and were there probably because they paid for season tickets.

Reply #630254 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I suppose there would have been a bit of atmosphere when the Knicks were boo'd off the court by their own crowd

Reply #630255 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

I've been to about 20 NBA games in Staples, MSG & United Center. The atmosphere is electric, New Yorkers are ruthless. Very hard on the Knicks. I saw 20,000 fans stand and boo the Knicks in 07 with Marbury playing only 3 mins into the game. Lakers fans are clueless, bulls fans passionate and loud. Don't read into above comments, NBA well worth the look if you're lucky enough to go.
Best I've seen though was Kobe dropping 50 on the suns in the playoffs and seeing the NIT championship for college at MSG between West Virginia and Clemson in 07.

Haven't been to a Wildcats game though, might be ok... just have to put up with their fans haha

Reply #630259 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

If you want ruthless fans go Philly i was there a few months back Covington missed 3 consecutive 3's and they start booing him and yelling for him to get cut. Philly crowd way better than Knicks and Lakers and 1/4 of the price. Knicks biggest rip off in the NBA

Reply #630260 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

You'd have to be watching when the team is going well or even contending for a title. Or when the playoffs are about to start to see a loud and involved crowd. Some teams would be awesome to watch - Bulls, Warriors, Celtics, Cavs or Knicks when they are good.

If they suck, for some teams its a bit of a yawn fest as you get the feeling theyre just going through the motions of a long shitty season.

Reply #630261 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Spurs atmosphere is awesome too, don't screw then because they're a small market :(

Reply #630263 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"In the US, watching a Basketball game is very quiet."

At least with regards to the NBA: this is true...

Reply #630265 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Us wildcats fans bring a lot of noise and KNOWLEDGE.

I was at a game where some SO-CALLED basketball fans made DISGHUSTING comments to Gleeson about what he liked to do on a Saturday night.

It was an outrage to see the great man treated so poorly.

Trev ignored these MORONS, smashed their basketball team into fine shards of glass and then shot them a look as he left the arena that seemed to say THAT'S HOW I DO YA BISH.

Reply #630266 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

When I attended a Knicks game at MSG, the atmosphere was pretty tame. Back in '07 I was privlaged to see LeBron play a home game for the Cavaliers: that was, understandably, much better.

Regardless, pretty much every 36ers home game I've been to easily trump these experiences. The atmosphere is much better. I agree with Paul's comment of "audience" vs "fanbase".

Reply #630268 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Mock, stop capitalizing everything for emphasis: you aren't making any thought-provoking points, and certainly don't come across as "KNOWLEDGEABLE".

Reply #630271 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's just a troll

Reply #630274 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I'll write how I like you MISCREANT; I never claimed to be making "thought-provoking" posts. I do bring KNOWLEDGE however. What is your claim to fame, you went to a couple of NBA games once? Wow, I'm sure Zach Lowe bows down to your superior basketball intellect.

Reply #630275 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Jesus Mock you must be very painful to have to deal with IRL

Reply #630276 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

places I've been

Duke men home games are loud.
Duke women home games are quiet
Utah men with Bogut playing were a mix of loud and quiet
Iowa women games with their average crowd of 10,000 can be very loud and intimidating
Second tier NCAA Div 1 colleges in smaller stadiums can be quite loud at times, but rarely any crowd chants.

Euro games in places like Serbia can be quite loud ( and smokey)

NBA games are generally like the average non-chanting non-music blaring NBL games of the 1990s.

Most world championship games are quiet except if the host country team is playing in the final ( eg Sydney 1996 women) but there's no music

Most Olympic games are quiet as were about 70 of the 76 games played in Sydney in 2000 and there's no music

No game has ever been as hair raisingly loud as at the end of the famous Vic Vs SA game at Apollo when L Gaze went to the microphone to reply to Werner Linde

On balance I can understand that 80% of the US basketball fan having never personally been in a continually loud stadium.

Reply #630279 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Never been to a US game but would love to.

I'm assuming the major difference is the spruiking the court side announcer does. Lachy does a awesome job in Perth, I think the crowd would be pretty tame without him encouraging participation.

Reply #630280 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Was at Kobe's last game. Didn't really kick off until the 4th quarter when we all got cheering for 40 then 50 then 60. Even probably the biggest retirement game in NBA history wasn't really that crazy as a crowd.

It's no secret that Euro crowds are nuts for anything sports related.

College crowds go crazy because of the history behind the sports and the schools following. Add to that all the 17-22 year olds who want to let loose and have fun. The crowds are generally rowdy

Reply #630281 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Cats games are closer to college atmosphere....dedicated fans just going at the opposition.

Rotnei alluded to it at half time in Game 3....we've all played college we should be able to cope with it.

It is certainly not the strangest comment of all time.

Reply #630283 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Wildcats.....lol

Reply #630285 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha I missed Mock.

or SHOULD i say that I MISSED Mock.

Reply #630367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damon Green on the Knicks experiment where there was nothing in the first 1/2 in term. "In a surprise move, the Knicks announced just seconds before tip-off that they would play the first half without music, video, or in-game" Pathetic was his comment.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/golden-state-warriors-star-draymond-green-labels-new-york-knicks-experiment-pathetic-20170306-gus3gy.html

Reply #630371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754