anon
Years ago

State Junior Champs

I know it's hard to predict results based on summer season, but if you look at the 1st years and their results in Winter in Grade below plus results of summer, you kind of get a feel for how things may go.

My prediction: Sturt for championship boys shield (the 12 boys will come out on top)

Forestville for championship girls shield (surprise)

North for reserves boys shield

Norwood for reserves girls shield - based on strong div 3 teams pushing into 2's

Topic #41022 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Norwood for reserves girls shield - based on strong div 3 teams pushing into 2's"

Do you actually know how the Trophies (not shields) work?

Reply #630407 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Apologies for the offensive use of the incorrect term, my bad old mate. my bad.

I believe Norwood's div 3 girls team can and will beat every team in division 2 include their own division 2 side, that along side of their 12 2's and their 18 2s could very likely see them pick up the overall title - watch this space.

Reply #630435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you're wrong.

But even if you're right they would get 0 credit towards the Club Award for winning it as only one team per grade can earn a club points.

Safe to say the Club would support their Div 2 team's chances over their 3s given they selected them as such.

Reply #630438 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

OP, only one team per club can win points that contribute to these awards. If Norwood entered three teams into reserves, only the team they nominated (which will obviously be their div2 team) could earn points.

I assume you're talking about U14Gs and appreciate your optimism, but I've coached against that team: their press works well against inexperienced players, but won't work against most div2 sides.

Reply #630463 | Report this post

Reserve girls -

u12s - forstville in a canter

u14s - North closely over Forestville

u16s - Forestville over Sturt

u18s - Forestville over Norwood

Breakdown -

12s - forestville clearly strongest, runner up between Norwood or North. 4th may well be 2nd Fville team.

14s - North claim this, Fville runners up, Norwood 3rd, Sturt 4th

16s - big thing to remember here is Fvilles true u16 Div 2 team has been playing u18s

so Fville, Sturt, Norwood, West

u18s - Fville, Norwood, Sturt, West

In 14s the Norwood teams will do well and the hope for the club is Norwood div 2 - who will be the points earning team that teh Norwood Div 3 teams knock out others - the norwood Div 3 teams will do well because they have so many second years in these teams. I project 3 Norwood teams nominating.
They may well dominate the Sturts and Forestvilles due to first years vrs second years - sheer strength.

Bracketology prediction for u14 reserve girls -

(based on Div 2 + Div 3 teams with good results)

A) North, Tigers, Norwood Div 3 blue, South Div 3

B) Sturt, South Div 2, Centrals, Tigers Div 3

C) Forestville, West, Norwood Div 3 red, Sturt Div3

D) Norwood Div 2, Mavs, Woodville, Fville Div 3.

I have had to move Norwood B Div 3 and Woodville Div 2 around to avoid the same pool.

factors - will woodville enter, hopefully ? Norwood Blue may well be a Div 2 if Woodville drop to Div 3 for winter. South Div 3 - ? may not enter, had an easy summer draw. Confirmed significant player changes for winter will happen.

North 5 pts
Fville 3 pts
Norwood 2pts
Norwood Blue - no points will give point to 5th team
Sturt 1pt

Reply #630506 | Report this post

so we we have in reserve girls

Fville - 5,3,5,5 = 18 points
Norwood - 3,2,2,3 = 10 points
North - 2,5 = 7 points
Sturt - 1,3,2 = 6 points
West - 1,1 = 2 points
Tigers - 1 = 1 point

maybe some upsets in placings but I can't see Fville being removed.

my next expert analysis can be seen on ESPN 8am EST

Reply #630509 | Report this post

this is based on pseudo Div 1 teams not dropping to reserve champs for the weekend as well

Reply #630510 | Report this post

other factors affecting the possible pools from round 9.

Woodville Div 1s - play state or reserves ? Combine with their Div 2s ? if they play reserves they will all bump everyone a spot down on the pools.

Tigers - would their Div 2s and 3s merge for a strong team ?

South - will there Div 3s nominate ? - good placing after round 9 but had an easy draw.

Norwood - will their Div 2s utilize some of the strong Div 3s ? Making a super team of 10 and hard to beat.

Reply #630524 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Norwood div 2 14 girls just lost 2 possibly 3 of their guards. If those girls are who i think they are, forget Div 2 Norwood doing well.
Who knows where they're going.. but that will be interesting!

i would say they will combine their 2s and 3s then or a new team is about to emerge.

Reply #630889 | Report this post

The prophet  
Years ago

Enjoy watching Netflix state champs weekend div 3 teams. Brilliant counter move by the influencers cutting you out.

Reply #632469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best change they've made in years. It's the one event BSA run in juniors which is for the elite. About time they made it an event people had to earn participation in.

Reply #632472 | Report this post

Years ago

you say elite, some may argue discrimination. It is just purely keeping people out. Can you honestly tell me some of those half baked div 2 teams have earnt their ushered in the door rights over better Div 3 teams ?

Reply #632473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I can because its a CLUB championship.

It's not about the individual.

If you believe your child is better than a Div 2 player then maybe you should consider if you are holding your child back by not moving to a Club which can offer opportunities to play higher.

There's no discrimination, all players have equal opportunity. It's up to the player to make the choice.

Reply #632480 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

I watched a Norwood Div 3 team beat Norwood div 2 last year in a qualifying final - at the time the div 2 was top 4 on the winter ladder.

There are unfortunately a few clubs (mainly the big 3) who ear mark their div 1s and 2s at under 12 level and barely make a change after that all the while some of the DIV 3 kids are getting better, skilling up, doing INDI's but unfortunately not getting the chance to play against the best, so will not be "ready" in the eyes of these clubs.

I see kids playing DIV 3 who i would all day every day move into my top squad to learn some more structure and compete against the best and enjoy their never say die attitude.

I always find it fascinating how many strong div 3 teams Norwood have, i have watched them in girls and boys in 14s and 16s and they dominate.

This move to block out DIV 3 teams from state champs makes sense to me, however.

Reply #632481 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

In relation to above comment, what i am saying is - there is clearly an issue with refining these skills and creating a stronger div 1 and 2 presence there - is it politics? or is it something else.

Reply #632482 | Report this post

Years ago

u18 girls hardly elite at the lower end of the table - only because there is no div 3 they are div 2 by default.

This is nothing but shut the door in your face policy and a clear willingness to force people to move clubs.

Reply #632483 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

"." in answer to above.

Is it a bad thing to feel forced to move clubs anyways?

I dont think so (although i dont agree that being excluded from state champs makes much of a difference to a players satisfaction)

I'd love to see more talented kids stuck in the 3s at Sturt, Forestville, Norwood etc move to the smaller clubs and even out the overall competition in div 2 and in some cases div 1!

I'd love to see a zoning policy much like SANFL even.

Reply #632485 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

"I'd love to see more talented kids stuck in the 3s at Sturt, Forestville, Norwood etc move to the smaller clubs and even out the overall competition in div 2 and in some cases div 1!

I'd love to see a zoning policy much like SANFL even."

So you're simultaneously for movement between clubs AND restricting player movement?

Reply #632488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Vic Metro should be allowed 2 or 3 teams at National Championships?

It's discrimination to allow NT to go to a Nationals when a 10th Vic Metro team would beat them.

It's a Club Championships. At every level of Junior sports there's going to be some kind of cut off. That could be tournaments, Divisions, District vs Domestic.

Reply #632493 | Report this post

Years ago

perhaps the decision makers would care to attend the trainings and tell teh families face to face that they have been deliberately cut out / excluded - after saying for years it was ok. But wait they would rather be around their table implementing this.....

Reply #632499 | Report this post

Years ago

the struggling clubs are struggling for a reason, forcing players to struggletown is not teh answer.

Reply #632501 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

Well Read - i am all for kids transferring to even out the comp under the current rule, many of the kids playing for the big 3 live in zones for clubs like West and or Woodville.

BUT i would love to see zoning come through which would eliminate the need to do the above, there'd be a fairer comp.

Reply #632507 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

> that's total B*&lshit.

Many of the struggling clubs struggle because people wont give them a go with their kids, which means less numbers, which means less resources and so on and so forth.

Reply #632508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754