Isaac
Years ago

Batkovic wins fifth WNBL MVP award

Suzy Batkovic of the JCU Townsville Fire has been honoured with her fifth WNBL Most Valuable Player award in 2016/17, making her the most decorated player in the league's history in terms of the coveted award.

Coaches and referees name a 3-2-1 vote at the conclusion of every game throughout the regular season with those ballots then totaled to find the MVP.

It is Batkovic’s second consecutive MVP award and her fifth in the past six seasons, having won two as a member of the Adelaide Lightning (2012, 13) and now three with Townsville (2014, 16, 17), surpassing Lauren Jackson’s previous record of four.
The top ten vote-getters for the 2016/17 MVP:
1. Suzy Batkovic (JCU Townsville Fire) 129 votes
2. Sami Whitcomb (Perth Lynx) 123 votes
3. Marianna Tolo (University of Canberra Capitals) 115 votes
4. Leilani Mitchell (Brydens Sydney University Flames) 107 votes
=5. Asia Taylor (Brydens Sydney Uni Flames) 73 votes
=5. Sara Blicavs (Jayco Dandenong Rangers) 73 votes
7. Steph Cumming (Jayco Dandenong Rangers) 70 votes
8. Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe (Bendigo Bank Spirit) 60 votes
=9. Maddie Garrick (Deakin Melbourne Boomers) 50 votes
=9. Carley Mijovic (Perth Lynx) 50 votes

Adding Luuuc's link from duplicate topic here: SUZY BATKOVIC RE-WRITES HISTORY BOOKS WITH RECORD FIFTH MVP

Topic #41026 | Report this topic

Freethrows  
Years ago

... and still couldn't get a gig with the Opals at the Olympics. Way to go, Brendon.

Reply #630420 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think the only thing that cost Sami this award is how well Carley Mijovic played for much of the season. But it is what it is. Suzy had a very good season too and certainly had some good numbers, so congrats to her.

Reply #630422 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Oh wow 5 out of the last 6! What an achievement for Suzy, congratulations to her!! I agree there were probably a few players from the Lynx 'taking' votes from Sami, though both Sami and Suzy had incredible seasons so congratulations to them both. If only we could have a joint MVP, I think that would be fitting for both of them.

Reply #630427 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

5 out of 6 is some serious dominance, yeah!

Reply #630428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if they had an equal fifth place why was Blocked cabs not named?

Well deserved for Suzy, clearly the best big in the league .... Joyce couldn't pick a decent Ayer if his life depended on it and suzys dominance over Burton shows it

Reply #630460 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So if they had an equal fifth place why was Blocked cabs not named?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the selection process for the All Star 5 is different to that of the MVP.

Reply #630473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought all star five was picked by votes, of so they finished on equal votes

Reply #630487 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'm not 100% certain whether MVP votes correlate directly to all star 5 selection, but if that is the case I'd say Taylor got the nod over Blicavs potentially due to a higher number of 3 vote games - essentially assuming Taylor had more games that she had been voted best player on the day.

Reply #630512 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754