lawsy
Years ago

RIP Kings championship import Chris Williams

Sad news, former kings import Chris Williams has passed away. He died from blood clots in his heart I believe.

Was one of my favorite all time players, such a shame we only saw him
For 1 season- was an absolute beast, basically unguardable in this league and did what ever he wanted offensively.

Topic #41060 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, that really stinks, so young.

He was too hard to handle in the NBL at that time - too strong to guard in the post, too quick to guard on the perimeter. A real beast.

Reply #630997 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sad news to wake up to. Way too young.
He's one of the few players I always happily accept in NBL 'best ever' lists because he was just that good.

Reply #630999 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(despite playing here only 1 season)

Reply #631000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the best players to ever play in the NBL. Starting PF in kings 25th Anniversary team despite only one season in the league and league MVP first season out of college. So sad

Reply #631002 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Wildcats were close to signing him too after he left the Kings..

More than 8 ships by now perhaps?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/11/1063268514496.html

Reply #631004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He played here the year I was overseas, so I never saw him play. What stopped him from making the NBA? He barely suited in Europe, mostly playing in Asia and the Middle East.

Reply #631005 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

He didn't have range on the jumper and as he was undersized- that's what stopped him making NBA - at that time, he was Just too good for the NBL, he could not be guarded, by anyone. You'd watch a game, and you'd think gees Williams was quiet- but evhad 25 pts at 60% and 17 boards kings guy

Reply #631016 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

His 3 point shot wasn't great, but he sure did pick his moments to hit one. Inside the paint he was like no one we've ever seen here. Wasn't great but had immaculate footwork and the sweetest pair of hands you'll ever see with great touch and timing around the basket. He had that sense like Rodman, where despite being undersized he just seemed to know where every rebound was going to end up......but also with sublime offensive skills

Reply #631017 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

**That should say "wasn't huge". Great he certainly was

Reply #631018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wildcats were close to signing him too after he left the Kings.."

No they weren't, back then Wildcats had no money. They were simply dreaming. They were maybe his third or fourth backup plan if Euro contracts didn't come his way.

Reply #631025 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Verbal agreement, 3rd or 4th option, ehh "close" enough... ;)

Reply #631027 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Nah.

He was never going anywhere else but Germany.

They were paying him much more tahn any team here could afford.

Also .. I remember having discussions with folk around GF 2003 time as to why he wasn't in the NBA.

The answer seemed to be that as good as was.. there were already quite q few guys of his ilk before him in line.

But he was a great player.

Sad news indeed.

Reply #631031 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I remember being surprised a few years ago when I checked on the leagues he played in post-NBL, but he was a freakish athlete at the time in comparison to other NBL players. Also re: NBA chances, back in those days the "tweener" tag was a real negative, and that's exactly what he was.

Reply #631034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had his longest stint in Iran according to wiki (2013-2017). So he died during the season? as the 2016-17 Iran season is in play right now?

Reply #631036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He was never going anywhere else but Germany.

They were paying him much more tahn any team here could afford."

Correct.

Frankfurt won their first and only title in 2003-04 in Chris' first season over there. Two out of two in first two pro seasons, not bad. Maiden titles for both Sydney & Frankfurt.

Reply #631037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like english wiki is wrong, he only played until 2013 then probably retired?

Also interesting apart from his stint in China every other team he played for were champions or runners up (Australia/Germany/Korea/Turkey), and his last season which was in Iran his team won the FIBA Asia Club Championship. #champion

Reply #631039 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I read this on facebook & thought someone might have shed some light on here as to what caused his demise?

Reply #631044 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Looks like english wiki is wrong, he only played until 2013 then probably retired?
I updated it when the news came through and just changed everything that said 'xxxx-present' to 'xxxx-2017'. If you're right, it evidently just hadn't been updated when he departed his last club.

Reply #631048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kr look on german wiki, there is more info there probably due to his time at Frankfurt Skyliners, on that version it indicates he was in Iran only for 2012-13.

Reply #631049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also tsk tsk at not referencing and just assuming :P

Reply #631050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had blood clots near his heart. Just tragic.

Reply #631055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was in a very serious car accident earlier in the year, the Kings at the time said their thoughts were with him as he was fighting for his life. So, especially sad as he may have won that initial battle, only to suffer from this ongoing complication.

Reply #631058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't wait for Heal to come out in the media to let everyone know how one time he went to an ATM to lend C-Will some money.

Reply #631060 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Very sad to hear. He was a class player and seemingly a classy bloke.

Watching him play there was nothing he was specifically amazing at, but just read the game well, was a very good athlete and knew how to take advantage of mismatches.

As mentioned by others his opportunities at the highest level were limited due to being really undersized. Would have been interesting to see if someone gave him a chance if he was a college grad in 2017 as the game has changed to give smaller 4s a chance.

Reply #631073 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tragic is the word alright

Reply #631080 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Incredible player. NBL MVP and title straight out of college, German title the next year, then dominated Euroleague the following year averaging 19p, 7r, 3a, 3s and 1b which are ridiculous numbers in that comp.

He then cashed in throughout Asia after that but could have dominated Europe or Australia his whole career had he wanted.

NBLFacts tweeted he is just one of three players to average 20p, 12r, 4a, 2s and 1b in an NBL season, and he is the only one to do it in the professional era.

So sad that he is dead so young. Makes you stop and think.

Reply #631086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If someone were to tell you an ex-NBL import passed away due to blood clots/heart problems you would guess Ontario "KFC" Lett, not Chris Williams.

Reply #631118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he was a gun. I remember that not many teams could stop him doing as he pleased.

Reply #631150 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:35 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754