Hoot
Years ago

2000 Wildcats Championship Team

Let's discuss this team, and what it meant for the organisation.

Winning the ship that year meant a whole lot more to the club than any other of its now 8 championships in my opinion.

I would have been about 15 at the time, and the teams win streak and news coverage of the "college" like atmosphere at the Perth Entertainment Center is what caught my attention and got me back into following the Wildcats closely.

From memory the Wildcats had no naming rights sponsor at the start of the season and this might have been the year Vlaholv and Longley took over ownership.

They even changed uniform designs half way through the season if I remember correctly.

This was also the season the uni-looneys had the bed sheet with team names that players would spray paint off after a home win I think?

Was this also the season the switched the direction of the court to get fans closer to the action?

It was also the year of an individual player's best performance in a grand final. With Marcus Timmons getting white hot and shooting the lights out. I still rate his performance higher than Cottons.

This season saw the emergence of James Harvey and Paul Rogers took out the MVP.

And who can forget Dewey Michaels and the Dewey Angels?

Topic #41065 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

That bed sheet with the spray paint is definitely a memory that sticks out for me from the Entertainment Centre years.

The Uni Loonies and the Hawaiian Boys were the start of what became The Red Army.

I am also certain their were parts of the crowd where there were ledges that Wilbur would slide down but also some he would do backflips off which was very entertaining for 13 year old me.

That grand final specifically I remember going with my cousin in our members seats because my parents got into a box on the stage area through Dad's work. My cousin and I had red hair spray for the game and the next day there was a car show at Burswood Dome and we walked around that still with red hair.

Reply #631105 | Report this post

Hoot  
Years ago

yes the stairs were covered in padding as they were so close to the court.

The atmosphere at these games were great, as the baseline seats were so close to the action, and they were actually at a height were you could see the action. Now at Perth Arena you are so far back and on ground level the baseline seats are terrible.

Reply #631107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't the best title but obviously was ramarqable to you personally due to your memories.

Good drive down memory however, it's sad that the PEC in 2000 was better utilised with the configuration and entertainment ideas than the billion dollar whatever Perth Arena.

Reply #631115 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

The chairs were better too.

Never quite understood why the Arena, designed for Tennis, Basketball, and Performers, was made so lopsided, as though the two sports were after-thoughts.

Reply #631148 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

" With Marcus Timmons getting white hot and shooting the lights out. I still rate his performance higher than Cottons."

Cotton scored more in less minutes, and likely at a higher clip. Why is it you think Timmons' performance was better?

Reply #631153 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They even changed uniform designs half way through the season if I remember correctly.
You don't.

This season saw the emergence of James Harvey
Not really, 2001 was his big breakout year.

Reply #631154 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

James Harvey had a break out game in 2000 against the Hawks when Vlahov hit a 3 to win that game. I think he 'exploded' for 18 points which signalled his arrival as an excitement machine. But Koberulz is right, his actual break out year was 2001. Harvey only averaged 8ppg or something during 2000.

They also didnt change their uniform mid-season. I think that was a few years later at Challenge.

99/00 was a bloody great season not just for the championship and being legitimate underdogs, but because it turned the club around and possibly stopped it from folding at that time. Though it wasnt the end of their problems, it at least revitalised them a bit during that tough era.

Reply #631164 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They also didnt change their uniform mid-season. I think that was a few years later at Challenge.
05/06.

Reply #631177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what year was drug-testing introduced?

Reply #631193 | Report this post

Red 95  
Years ago

Just saw this post.
Drug testing def on during season 2001. Guy followed Fisher around from game time till 3am when Scott was able to give a sample. Story made a good article in the "West" I think, as well as the old BB radio show.

Reply #675296 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Luc Longley was owning the team that year I think and the place was HUMMING. Timmons, Rogers, Grace and THE GREAT MAN Vlahov. No wonder it was another banner for the mighty Wildcats

Reply #675298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #675303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is some Anthony Stewart spray paint action in front of Dewey's Angels at the end of that clip

Reply #675304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"With Marcus Timmons getting white hot and shooting the lights out. I still rate his performance higher than Cottons."

The classic "back in my day..." type story. Cotton's performance was better than Timmons.

Reply #675575 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:27 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754