Anonymous
Years ago

Matt Hodgson 2 year deal

Matt H signed on for two more years Joey announced last night. With that being said, morning was mentioned about Randle or any other potential signings.
Joey ran with the motto "In Adelaide we get s@&t done now" to say that they are already working on next year, not taking any days off.

I'd be happy to pass on Randle who wants (from my understanding) a long term deal at almost half the salary cap. There are many imports in the world, and I feel with the amount of great guards uncovered this year, his time in Adelaide has finished.

I'd imagine that Melb would rather Casper than Jerome, and Perth Cotton, so unless it's Sydney, nobody has that type of money.

Would people rather the Sixers pass on Sobey to keep Randle? You still ha e to have a strong Aussie core for years to come, and imports come a go. Sobey it is. Grab another good scorer/distributor, a wing, and a big import and you're better than this year already with Drmic ready to go from the start this time.

Not sure where Deng fits, but it will be an interesting offseason for his development.

Topic #41073 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Would people rather the Sixers pass on Sobey to keep Randle?

No

Reply #631274 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

the way sobey is playing in greece god no

Reply #631276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear god Joey talks so much shit. Mate try getting shot done amonth ago on your home court in front of a sell out crowd with a grand final series with home court on the line... win the faithful over with results not car salesmen style lingo. It's getting so old.

Reply #631280 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

True.
I feel people have moved on from that disaster just a little too quickly. There's been no real explanation as to why Joey and his team fell to pieces under pressure.
The Wildcats, even without Knight, showed the Hawks were nothing special. Realistically te 2nd best team won te championship while the best team cooled their jets in Adelaide.

Reply #631281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically Adelaide weren't going to beat Perth either but I think it would have at least been a good contest and not a sweep.

Reply #631282 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I reckon we will lose Randle and Sobey. Especially if Sobey keeps his current hot form up in Greece.

Reply #631286 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Then we're screwed

Reply #631289 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Then we're screwed

In a nutshell, yeah... Those two carried the team for most of the games and made a lot of other players look good (although DJ looked a lot more motivated).

Will be interesting to see if Joey gets some credit for giving Sobey the chance to blossom when a lot of other teams wouldn't have/didn't, as compared to some of the cash that might get chucked at him...

Reply #631292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide would've beaten Perth, I don't think Perth were that good. But let's not digress from the thread. Just shows the coach is all talk beating his chest but can't clinch a finals birth if a team happens to get streaky.

Reply #631294 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

No explanation as to why Adelaide fell to pieces? Well here's one: They were the youngest team in NBL history!

Reply #631299 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Consider the thread de-railed: In further summary, defence wins finals, and the Sixers put up a poor defensive showing against the Hawks, who had an effective defensive strategy to slow the Sixers' key contributors down.

Whilst not inevitable, the Sixers' collapse at the end of the season was predictable and not really surprising even when the Sixers were on their winning streak. That doesn't make it any less disappointing given what was otherwise a successful year.

Reply #631318 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"No explanation as to why Adelaide fell to pieces? Well here's one: They were the youngest team in NBL history!
"

That's more an excuse than an explanation. Here are some more pertinent explanations.

1. The Sixers allow the most points per game in the 40 min era consistently throughout Joey's tenure. The Wildcats showed again just how important defence is in playoff basketball. I don't think the Sixers can will a championship until this attitude on defence is fixed.

2. The Sixers decided to take the foot off the pedal, completely losing their momentum going into the playoffs. Although they did not lose on purpose, they did not try to win (Joey citing the last 2 seasons of injuries to Motum and Randle as the reasons to rest players). This not only lost them the critical momentum, it also shaped the playoffs which landed the one team that matches up well against them.

3. Randle ran his mouth off on social media. Then Creek (on behalf of the whole team) reiterated the same unprofessional message. This had the effect of firing up the Hawks.

4. Game 2 of the SF with the Hawks. When the chips were down Randle reverted to Hero Ball, focusing instead on his personal duel against Norton. This poor stretch of play cost the Sixers Game 2. Joey allowed this to happen.

Reply #631324 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

LoveBroker, good post and i agree with most of that.

Reply #631436 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Matt Hodgson folks.....
Love how you numbnuts constantly derail threads!

Reply #631508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754