Zodiac
Years ago

Sixers fear losing Sobey to Europe

ADELAIDE 36ers coach Joey Wright is more concerned he could lose the NBL's Most Improved Player, Nathan Sobey, to an overseas contract than to a rival Aussie club.

Sobey and the 36ers’ first league MVP since Mark Davis in 1987, Jerome Randle, were two conspicuous names on the NBL free agent list revealed on Monday.

Both are concluding 2016-17 with playing contracts in Europe, Sobey backing up is 14-point debut for Greece’s PAOK Thessaloniki with 25 in a win at the weekend.

"If he keeps putting up similar numbers, I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a viable offer," Wright said.

Sobey had an option year to continue with the 36ers but chose not to exercise it with the view of renegotiating.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-concerned-awardwinning-guard-nathan-sobey-may-be-target-of-international-contract-offers/news-story/a03931de9f2ae39a4b94838169442502

Also doesn't sound like we're going to bring Jacobsen back and we're looking for a combo guard like a Ramone Moore or a Corey Webster.

Topic #41076 | Report this topic

Shano76  
Years ago

I really liked Jacobsen. Will be in strife if we lose Sobey and Jerome!If fit Webster would be handy.

Reply #631339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Adelaide, Illawarra, Cairns would no how much the other clubs went over the cap so they could get there tax they might have enough money to keep him here. If the Nbl don't try and reward the best players the league will go back to the crap it was.

Reply #631340 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

Wesley instead of Jacobsen unless Vickerman gives him a new life at United .

Reply #631342 | Report this post

TL  
Years ago

I wouldn't put the 36ers in the same conversation as Illawarra and Cairns anymore. The new major stakeholder Grant Kelly is probably the wealthiest owner in the league, that is if he's willing to spend the money. I'd be surprised if Randle leaves, it's rare for a player and city to have such a strong connection and if Joey definitely wants him back then he'll be back, barring any monstrous offer coming from overseas. Sobey is the guy I'm worried about. He's currently starring in Europe and that kind of play for a powerhouse club guarantees big money offers.

Reply #631343 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I could be wrong here, but I'd disabuse the notion that the new majority shareholder of the 36ers is the wealthiest owner in the NBL, has deep pockets and will spend with the best of them.

I don't have all the info but I believe Grant Kelley, not Kelly, is the CEO of CDL which is owned by the Kwek family in Singapore. His reported annual remuneration hovers around the $3 million mark with unknown personal portfolio of investments.

To put things in perspective, Larry Kestelman who owns the NBL, United and Bullets, sold Dodo for $250 million which I believe was split with his Ukrainian co-founder. Last known wealth was $90 million around a decade ago. Likely to be more than that in 2017, but not enough to crack the top 200 BRW list in 2016 with the poorest only having a paltry $303 million.

For Wildcats haters, things can't be much worse... I'm not sure if Jack Bendat has shares in the club, but if he does, he should take the crown for the wealthiest individual owner in the NBL, even more than LK. Currently sitting at no. 93 in the 2016 BRW rich list, Jack appears to have donated a bit too much and dropped a few places with only $637 million left in the piggy bank.

Last but not least, Kings owner AEG Ogden is a subsidiary of a massive multi-billion dollars international corporation Anschutz Company.

There are serious money behind the major clubs but I seriously doubt that they will hand a blank chequebook to the GMs. Grant Kelley may be able to afford the odd spending or two but I doubt he'd tolerate exorbitant asking price.

Reply #631346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without sober and randle Joey wright will further be exposed.... going to be a long few seasons for Adelaide. Great logos though haha

Reply #631355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Webster though? Why would he even be in the discussion? Pending legal issues, and an injury that saw him not play since November. I feel it would be a foolish move to even have a conversation with Webster.

Reply #631359 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Without sober and randle Joey wright will further be exposed.... going to be a long few seasons for Adelaide. Great logos though haha
Further exposed ... as the reigning Coach of the Year.

Reply #631361 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Let's hope he goes back to back as Semi-Finalist Coach of the Year

Reply #631368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac awards mean little when your exposed in the finals as Joey has been the past few seasons. None more so than against the Hawks. He picks talent sits back and lets them play, without the talent he has to coach as such, hence he would be exposed for having little tactical ability imo

Reply #631380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He wasn't expected to even make the finals. He was exposed as doing better than expected. He was potentially a missed call away from going 2-0 and setting up a grand final series.

Reply #631388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree they undersold themselves but proved they could be competitive by seasons end. But when push came to shove he ran out of ideas by game 3. Take away this particular talent level it'll only get worse, but a beck type continually competes with lesser talent. And the like of Kevin white is the definition of lesser talent. I hope they can get a ware type or it's actually going to end up being the season everyone predicted that just passed.

Reply #631393 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey certainly attracts some irrational haters. His coaching job this season was one of the greatest coaching performances in NBL history. Everyone and their dog picked Adelaide with that young rebuilding roster to finish bottom or at best 7th. They finished top and were so good they had the minor round championship locked up with 4 games still to go.

Yes, we should've won that SF series 2-0 but some Randle hero ball in the 4th of G2 and our choke job at home in G3 went against us and we were knocked out early but that disappointing finish doesn't take away from such a great job Joey did this season.

Reply #631394 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Nothing irrational about it.

Does not matter what pre-season polls picked, fact is you were the best H&A Team ....Jerome played exceptionally well, Drmic & Sobey outperformed all expectations, Creek was a strong leader and Daniel Johnson played to the high expectations he is capable of.

With all that going for them they managed to stuff it up and sorry Wright gets to wear a lot of that - massively missed opportunity that just doesn't automatically roll back around.

Resting your starting 5 against Cairns is an arrogance that I'm not sure Perth would do under Gleeson, mocking and calling out a club like the Hawks is just stupid ...when your the class team, you don't motivate the battlers. Wright has to won this.

If Sobey walks to bigger & better things - massive blow.

Reply #631396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey didn't take the floor both Randle and Sobey were below par in final series when they were needed the most.

Reply #631397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle simply isn't the right fit. Sobey needs the ball to perform and Randle isnt a past first type guy. So in game 3, when Sobey turned the tide, it was because he had the ball. When Jerome saw this, he took at errand shot too, and ruined it. Only my opinion.

Reply #631400 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Zodiac.

Reply #631401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right Randle and sobey were definitely below par, my POINT which is quite rational is, when this became evident Joey had no plan B. He was exposed, just sat back complained to the refs a bit an crossed his fingers hoping they'd pull the team out of their rut. He just talks a lot for a coach who is really just a manger of people not dictator of basketball plays and strategy.

Reply #631402 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

@ Zodiac, what does 'haters' mean? It's just a lazy & fashionable word used to misrepresent people you don't agree with and people should stop saying it so much.

It doesn't matter now, but i think Adelaide were underrated from the start. It was never beyond a team that has Randle, Creek & Johnson as a core to make the playoffs in the first place but most would agree finishing top as comfortably as they did was a very good effort by all.

Everyone is right here though. Joey deserves a lot of credit for what they achieved, but those who challenge why they were so feebly swept aside on home court in a semi final again are free to do so. I've said before that Joey needs to learn and evolve if he is to lead Adelaide to a title during his time hear, because he clearly has a lot of unique upside as a coach.

In regards to Webster, i wouldn't even think twice and just take the gamble if we lose Sobey. There's no doubt that his absence wasn't injury related so hopefully he can be one of those who comes good in a fresh start. A couple of seasons ago, i couldn't split Goulding and Webster as the best local pure shooting guard in the league.

Reply #631404 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Adelaide to a title during his time HERE, because he clearly has a lot of unique upside as a coach.

Reply #631405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks master chief. We are all entitled to our opinion and the way the 6ers went about it in the regular season Wright deserved the coy. The way they performed after locking up 1st, ending the season 1-6 said a lot about the coach aswell. Doesn't make me a hater to not be impressed with chocking in the semi zodiac, disappointed and cautious of joeys coaching ability in crunch time yes, but not a hater. Don't be lazy with your words.

Reply #631408 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The main reason the Sixers lost game 3 was that our defensive rotations went back to the bad old days. All of a sudden the team wasn't working together to close off dribble penetration and the Hawks had a drive and kick for three party.

In the second half of the season and in game 1, our defensive rotations were great. Was the failure of the team to execute defensively under pressure in game 3 Joey's fault or the players? I think if you can truly answer that, then you go a long way to working out how good a coach Joey is!

Personally, I don't know the answer to that question. I think Joey seems to be a great motivator and is good at keeping his players happy. Those are important characteristics for a head coach. Defensive systems and the ability to drill them into his players? We saw improvement this season, but I think the jury is still out on that one.

I think Joey is a good coach, but like anyone probably has weaknesses to work on. If the Sixers can bring back largely the same team, I think a great measure of Joey as a coach will be how much this team improves defensively next season.

Reply #631411 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

@ Zodiac, what does 'haters' mean? It's just a lazy & fashionable word used to misrepresent people you don't agree with and people should stop saying it so much."

Haters means just that. Anytime there is a thread about Joey there are always 2-3 posts usually from anons bagging him saying he's a crap coach, can't coach etc.

Reply #631418 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

In regards to Webster, i wouldn't even think twice and just take the gamble if we lose Sobey.

On this I agree but wouldn't want Webster if Randle comes back but if both Randle & Sobey left then it's just try and grab some similar types to be competitive and think we would probably need to gamble on a Webster type and just hope it comes off.

Reply #631419 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Ignore them - of course he can coach, that is without question.

Can he coach this team to a championship is a different question.

Reply #631420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can coach zodiac he just has a lot to answer for when things don't just fall into place with the likes of Randle and sobey motoring. If he is going to accept the COY for the good stuff then he and his allies on here have to accept the criticism when things go bad. I'm not hating, he did deserve the award for the good stuff but he needs to be held accountable for the choke aswell.

Reply #631422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on character I'd be upset if adelaide is brought Webster in. They hashtag family first on everything but this guy is cancerous with his off court stuff imo

Reply #631425 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

@Beantown, agree with that. But the question isn't whether it's one or the other but more so who is ultimately responsible? In any scenario, it's always the coach.

Joey needs to see that going forward and address why they're prone to poor defensive displays & how it's costing them taking another step.

They need a plan B to bail them out at the other end also. Just some basic sets to get looks for shooters like any other team can. Those little things helps in tight games.

Reply #631426 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon, we were playing with house money. Everyone picked that team to finish down the bottom he did an incredible job.

Yes, the end wasn't great and I too was disappointed with our foot off the pedal approach into the playoffs as it's more difficult for a younger team to flick the switch then it is for a veteran team.

We got too cute there at the end and Joey deserves some criticism for that but there were even idiots on here saying the Sixers were going to fire Joey because of the way we finished the regular season before the playoffs had even started. It's ludicrous.

Reply #631427 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

@ Zodiac, it was more a universal question. I agree that negativity for the sake of negativity exists and that is frustrating, but i was more so talking about how that term is used so much to dismiss & misrepresent the opinions of people who don't happen to agree with the opposing view. I can't stand it when i hear that response to a challenge and because it's fashionable, it gets applauded, even though nothing original or interesting was said. I wasn't even referring to your post mainly, i see it all the time and it's dangerous & annoying when independence of mind is swept aside.

I think a Randle/Webster back court would be perfect. I'd like to see Randle drive and dish a bit more. He could be even more lethal than he is currently if we tweaked the system a bit.

Reply #631428 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, I tend to think it is a bit of both Master Chief. I don't think the players did a good job of sticking to the plan defensively in game 3, but some of that has to come back on Joey as coach as well. Hopefully Joey and the team learn from this and can take another step forward next season.

Reply #631430 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

@ Beantown, who is ultimately responsible for the reasons behind players not sticking to a game plan though?

Reply #631431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game set match to that question!

Reply #631437 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

There's no doubting that the 36ers overachieved last season and all awards were well deserved, but as to exactly how good a coach Joey is, how many of the teams wins can truly be attributed to his brilliant coaching and how many were due to Randle and/or Sobey going off?

Reply #631439 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Who was the coach that gave Sobey a spot on a roster when no other coach thought he was up to it? And thought enough of him to elevate him to the starting lineup?

Who was the coach that allows Randle to play his own game something probably no other coach in the NBL would allow and clearly not many elsewhere given how much he's bounced around in Europe?

Also who was the coach who gave Hodgson a spot on a roster when no other coach would?

Randle, Sobey & Hodgson are in their great current situations in large part because of Joey.

Reply #631441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle, webster? yuk!

Reply #631443 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Agree completely Zodiac, some very good recruiting moves to be sure, but how much of that is down to good coaching? Letting Randle play his game (like any coach would really have a choice) is easy as, and Sobey has a starting spot because he's worked hard and manages to score at will most games... My point is that how much of all that is great coaching? Letting scorers score isn't a complicated science, but what happens when they're not scoring, a Plan B, is the mark of great coaching...

How many games were won by the 36ers when they didn't have one or all of their stars firing and putting on lots of points? Did Joey have other game plans that were successful other than "just let Randle and Sobes go to work"? Mostly a legit question, as I didn't watch all the 36ers games last season and the ones I saw were mostly the 36ers blowing teams away...

Reply #631450 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

@Zodiac.

"His coaching job this season was one of the greatest coaching performances in NBL history."

If you can isolate this performance to just the regular season (minus the last 4 games), yes of course. But if consider the 1-6 ending to the season, it certainly detracts from the hyperbole.

The Sixers were so far in front where the next opponent is barely making above .500, thats with them not trying to win for the last 4 games. Then to lose at home to 4th place, all this to me reduces the good work!

Reply #631456 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think another thing to remember in Joey's favour is the clear improvement the team made on defence about 6 games into the season. The coach must have had something to do with that. Likewise, Hodgson and Sobey have improved a great deal over 2 seasons in Adelaide and Creek has been improving every season too. Even DJ has improved his defence and rebounding over the past couple of seasons. So I think Joey is doing very well in some areas and could improve in others.

Reply #631458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Zodiac, should Sobey ignore all other offers regardless? Everyone here thinks just because he played minutes under Joey, he'd be a bad guy for leaving. What if the difference in salary was say 100k? What would you or any other player do? Sobey I'm sure would love to stay in Adelaide and I'm confident it will happen as the club like him too, but there is no harm in checking out the market right?

Reply #631461 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Beantown, agree.

Reply #631462 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wookiee, I hear what you're saying aside from Randle in what way was Sobey a scorer? He wasn't a big scorer in college and obviously wasn't scoring much in Cairns so he found all that under the opportunities from Joey.

But Sobey did start to taper off a bit towards the end of the season the last 7-8 games of the regular season he wasn't scoring as much or as efficiently as he was previously and the team kept winning up until the last four games of the season.

Don't forget the reason Sobey was given a chance to shine was the injury to Creek and Creek returned late in the season but IMO wasn't the same player he was in pre-season games.

Reply #631466 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So Zodiac, should Sobey ignore all other offers regardless?
What? When have I ever said or implied he should? If I were Sobey and there was a reasonable sized difference in offers I'd go with the bigger one, Europe, interstate, where ever. He's mid-20's now try and make as much as he can really until old age or a knee injury reduces his earning ability.

Reply #631469 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Stuffed up the quote again.

So Zodiac, should Sobey ignore all other offers regardless?

What? When have I ever said or implied he should? If I were Sobey and there was a reasonable sized difference in offers I'd go with the bigger one, Europe, interstate, where ever. He's mid-20's now try and make as much as he can really until old age or a knee injury reduces his earning ability.

Reply #631470 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I support the philosophy that 95% of your winning games are won because of the work the coach does prior and after game time. ( L Gaze, Smyth and Boy Gorj are good examples IMHO). the question is on that 20th game - can the coach pull out a change that changes a "L" to a "W" DURING game time.

That Joey is a good coach is not really in debate. Is he an elite level NBL coach, probably , he almost certainly is one of the better ones.

Longevity tends to be an indicator of that, if only because head Coaches are amongst the first to be given their DCM's when a team goes bad. He hasn't been sacked from a club for bad performance AFAIK.

the question is, and it has been raised here, how well does he cope with having to go to a plan "B" - does he even have one ? Is he able to see a game night flaw in the strategy or implementation of Plan A and adapt on the night ?

Marty Clarke ran great trainings, recruited reasonably well, but failed to produce a consistent "Plan A" , much less a plan B.

Joey has definitely developed, trained and implemented very successful "Plan A's" for competitive, talented ( not always "loaded") rosters. He is a very good NBL coach.

The next step for Joey is getting and implementing a plan B that can do the job when his teams run up against well coached and talented teams who are able to derail his Plan A.

Coaches can always develop as well as players.

Reply #631476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey doesn't get a pass simply because no one could predict the closest season in history. The logic is weak in this one.

Reply #631495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Adelaide has got this new owner with plenty of $$$$$ why couldn't they pay Sobey as their marquee man, find it hard to believe that you could lose Sobey and Randle at the same time.

Reply #631537 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754