Mystro
Years ago

Breakers & C.Webster part ways

The NZ Breakers and Corey Webster have agreed to part ways ending a partnership which has yielded 3 titles.
Webster has only ever played for NZ after coming through their development academy but his career hasn't been without its speed humps. He was released after testing positive for synthetic cannabis and had previously been in trouble for smoking the real deal. His latest issue is an assault with intent charge which is still before the courts.

Webster is expected to head overseas to either Europe or an Australian NBL franchise.

Topic #41078 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Unsurprising.

Joey Wright mentioned Webster as a potential target in yesterday's story. I don't like Webster's game much but then I didn't think Goulding would be a good pick-up before he exploded in Melbourne.

If Adelaide lose Randle and Sobey, they might not be in a position to be overly picky. Can always try for someone like this and surround them with complementary players. Webster would rule out Cedric Jackson who is someone I think Joey could try getting on track.

Reply #631360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pending legal matters? Is that really who the club wants? Even if they lost Sobey, Webster to Adelaide has wrong written all over it. Was injured since November too!
Before Sobey played the way he did, who were they relying on in this spot? The answer is no one, as they though Drmic and Ferg might be good.
At all costs I hope the pass on Webster. Bad look for the club and the community in my opinion.

Reply #631362 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, I think Webster has been lucky to have gotten as many chances as he has done with the Breakers. I doubt that if he wasn't a Kiwi and a product of their academy, he would have been so fortunate... Add that to him having a very ordinary injured season just past, plus other off court issues and I doubt that many NBL teams would take a chance on him...

What was his relationship with Vickerman like? Maybe that could be of benefit to him? Although not sure he and Bubbles could coexist...

Can Webster even work out of the country with pending legal action?

Reply #631366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a theory although not sure how injured he was. Perhaps the Breakers told him to stay away from the team and get his stuff sorted out.

Big fall for a guy pushing for an nba spot a while ago.

Lesson to kids - achieve your goals and respect the job as an professional athlete and smoke all the weed you want after you retire.

As Stephen A Smith said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-DJMzB5RFs

Other argument is that weed is probably more healthy for an athlete then binging on alcohol regularly which is part of the culture and accepted at most clubs.

Reply #631367 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Can Webster even work out of the country with pending legal action?"

My opinion/view:

In terms of travelling to Australia - Given one of the original bail conditions was as strict that he couldn't drink at all and that he couldn't enter a licensed premise (before variation); I would think a bail condition against overseas travel would likely be imposed. I am not sure Australia would accept him at the border anyway.

In terms of working in Australia - under the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement, NZers can work in Australia under the Special Category Visa (Aus), however people with criminal records are usually barred from holding a SCV.

I think Immigration in Australia likely have wide powers around behaviour and character requirements too; likely they would withhold an SCV in the circumstances I would think.

I personally don't think any team should go near him currently given the complexities.

It is worth mentioning that the charge of assault with intent to injure is quite serious; Webster can, AFAIK, elect trial by jury if he pleads NG (though he might not do that in the North Shore given the demographic); it carries a maximum imprisonment term of 3 years (though NZ courts are notoriously easy on sentencing). Though I understand he has not being proven guilty in a Court of Law, I am surprised Wellington didn't tear up his contract (Especially given the fact the Saints owner owns many bars around Wellington).

*my thoughts and opinions only

Reply #631369 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm going to have to look up the specifics of Websters charge as I can't really remember it, but I wonder how much more serious it is than the whole Te Rangi thing, as I would have thought that that was fairly serious as well but that got blown over from a legal standpoint if I recall correctly? I remember there being talk that there was potential for some serious action for him, but no-one was surprised that they went soft on him...

Either way, my money is him not playing NBL next season at the very least...

Reply #631370 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A bail condition banning alcohol consumption is pretty stock standard, I wouldn't read too much into it.

A temporary variation for travel for things like work is usually not so hard (as in like, a few weeks).

If I hazard a guess, i'd say this will be resolved by season start

Reply #631371 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

TeRangi it was a first offence and his age were mitigating factors

Reply #631386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Addition by subtraction.

Reply #631524 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

He grew up in the same neighbourhood that the Breakers HQ is in and just has too many negative influences so moving out to new scenery and away from those distractions will be better for him long term.

When fit & healthy he can flat out play, lets not forget that.

Reply #631555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754