Wookiee
Years ago

Sydney Kings 2017/18

Ok, so I wanted to start this 3 weeks before the end of the season, but at least it's a more appropriate time now...

Retained Players:
Kevin Lisch (2yrs)
Brad Newley (2yrs)
Jason Cadee (1yr)
Tom Garlepp (1yr)

The team option on Truck wasn't used, but I'm hoping that this is still a numbers game and similar to Shawn Redhage turning up on the FA list every season for the last 6 or so years and they're just juggling numbers and he will be back, as he was a defensive anchor for us last season, especially as the season went on and he got accustomed to the NBL style of play (and got more points/rebounds than he got fouls).

Not many other players I'd like to see back... Jules is a question mark and I don't know if we will see him back in the NBL again... No word on how his recovery is going, but you'd think if he's not good to go during the of season and can get some SEABL or even some Waratah games under his belt, he'd be a long shot at deserving a shot to come back.

If healthy and with the right mindset (both question marks) having him and Truck at the 5 would be a pretty good pairing and unless you waste an import on a back up 5 spot, you'd have to go with a healthy Jules over most other locals at that spot?

I'd be very happy to never see any of our imports from last season back again... Whittington and Powell ending up with some really poor attitudes on court and while Whittington started off well, really stunk it up for the most part in the tail end of the season...

All that being said, the team as it stands:

??? / Cadee
Lisch / ???
Newley / ???
??? / Garlepp
??? / ???

So lots of key spots to fill... IMHO, a proper PG is so drastically needed... Someone along the lines of Jesse Sanders would be great... Tough defending pass-first PG who (once he moves inside the 3pt line) can hit the open shot if they step off him or who can hit the open guy... Hell, I'd even take Jesse himself, come to think of it...

Jason isn't a PG and isn't starting quality... He had his moments and will again, but shouldn't be relied upon as a starter. With a proper PG ahead of him, it adds to our depth and doesn't burn out our very very light on guard rotation like it did last season...

An athletic 4/5 in the mould of Josh Boone would be ideal... Someone who works hard at BOTH end of the court, can rebound his arse off and rack up he points when needed/the opportunity arises...

If Truck returns, that's potentially a pretty good starting 5 and probably a lot more well-rounded than 16-17...

As standard, a big problem was our depth, so it's important to fill int eh gaps with solid role players that can Gaze can rely on to give minutes every game, not just every blue moon when a starter is injured or in foul trouble...

I can't see too many current FAs on the list that would be a good fit... You'd never turn down Blanchfield, but I can't see where he'd fit... Same with Ware, not sure how he'd go, but it would be slightly frowned upon to pass on him...

Overseas locals? Venky Jois? Steindl? Both would fill specific needs if not being the most well rounded players... Jonah Bolden is way beyond the NBL I would imagine, even if he doesn't get drafted...

We need to get a proper coach as an assistant as well, with Vickerman leaving... That leaves a pretty big hole as well...

Topic #41092 | Report this topic

Watto  
Years ago

Any chance Ben Madgen wants to come back?

Reply #631710 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Madgen's in Lithuania his team is 2nd on the ladder and is leading the team in scoring in EuroCup games and 2nd on his team in scoring in the local league so probably unlikely.

Reply #631713 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maric/Khazzouh or import
Import 3-4/Garlepp/Moller
Newley/Steindl
Lisch/R Moore
Cadee/Carter

Reply #631714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carter? surely not Rhys?

Reply #631715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it hard to be critical of the kings bench last season due to lack of opportunity, at times when MDW and Moller was on the court they actually looked better, Hill never let the side down when given a chance either.

Import / Caddee / Indi faithful
Lisch/ ???
Newley/ Moller
Garlepp/ Hill
Marci / import 4/5

Leaves an import spot open if required.

Reply #631716 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I wouldn't include Moller ahead of an import, that would be crazy, but I definitely agree that when given a chance, MDW and especially Moller performed above and beyond what would have been expected of them. Also can't fault the bench last season for sure, Gaze paid the prize for over working his starters, that's certain...

Madge seems to be loving it overseas... He's doing well on court, is a step up from last season and could be likely to take another step up next season as well... Probably wouldn't fit properly in the team as it is anyways, you'd think... Lisch and Newls would cover either of his potential positions and it's a bit of a waste having any of them coming off the bench (even though I have been complaining about bench depth)

Can't disagree with Pauls potential lineup except the PG spots... The Kings can't perform to their best without a proper PG... They looked a complete mess on the court with zero guidance at times last season, was a shambles! Before anything else, need and experienced on court leader that Gazey can trust as much as he trusts Kevin, otherwise Kev will just get burnt out (again) and we'll miss the playoffs again...

Reply #631718 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Their backcourt is fine, as early in the season showed before they hit the wall, they just need better depth on the bench.

If WMW comes back then great, for some reason I'd just assumed he'd head elsewhere but would really like to see him develop in the NBL.

Reply #631719 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Why did they hit the wall though? Wouldn't an experienced PG be able to take the leadership, ball handling and some of the defensive responsibility pressure off of Lisch?

Lisch got SERIOUSLY burnt out last season and it was detrimental to the team... I don't see how having Cadee start and bringing in Carter fixes that problem (probably makes it worse). Bringing in Sanders (for example) sets the tone from the start, can bring Cadee off the bench in either spot and it still frees Kev up to do what he does best... Bench depth, stronger defence, takes the pressure off Kev... Win/win/win...

Sanders^ / WM-W
Lisch / Cadee

Looks to be a stronger backcourt, but I fear though, it's a case of agree to disagree :)

If WM-W comes back, that would be great (could still be a dev?), but like you I assumed that he might not be back. There's the potential for him to be trying college again next season isn't there?

A concern though is if Jules isn't fit to return... Maric / Khazzouh is all well and good if everyone is healthy and fit and locked in mentally, but what if he isn't?

Does Garlepp move to a back-up 5 and we go small again with him splitting those minutes that Maric isn't on court with the starting import 4/5? I thought Trist would have been a nice pick up when he left college before he went to Spain, but now he's playing in Denmark? No clue about that league, didn't we get Duinker from there when he came back? Hopefully that's not an indication of his playing level atm :(

Sanders^ / WMW
Lisch / Cadee
Newls / Steindl
Import 4/5 / Jois / Moller
Maric / Garlepp

Has some upside... I think fans would love Jois, seems to work hard and get some nice hustle plays and doesn't seem like he'd take the foot off the gas at either end... Decent mixture of experience and youth, some growth for the future, but enough old heads to keep the ship steady. Some marquee level talent but also some more dedicated role players that should be able to be relied upon to do what they need to do for the betterment of the team...

Now if only we could get an experienced head coach... sigh...

Reply #631724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tl;dr

Reply #631732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Carter? surely not Rhys?"

BJ.

Reply #631733 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Enough of the burnt out excuses! They play once a week,twice every now and then. Please!

Reply #631734 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Randle at pg?

Reply #631737 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Enough of the burnt out excuses! They play once a week,twice every now and then. Please!"

You do realise they don't sit around between games! The issue is the Kings backcourt didn't have the same support as the players they were playing against, that leads to burnout.

Reply #631738 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

well you can add Blanchfield to the roster now

Reply #631739 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's official: http://www.nbl.com.au/uncategorised/sydney-bolster-back-court-blanchfield/

Massive signing. With Newley, Blanchfield, Lisch and Cadee on the perimeter, now they just need a good import guard and they are set in that department.

Reply #631741 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Blanchfield is an interesting signing. Criminally underutilized in Melbourne, but on the surface it's a strange fit in Sydney too and I guess that gives us:

Lisch/Cadee
Blanchfield/Cadee
Newley/?
?/Garlepp
?/?

So no import PG most likely. As good as Lisch is in general, I just don't think he's a floor general by nature.

Reply #631742 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Holy crap... looks like I'm on the Blanchfield bandwagon now...

Enough of the burnt out excuses! They play once a week,twice every now and then. Please!

You DO realise that Kev played more than nearly anyone else in the NBL last season? Had Olympics as well as a bigger than usual NBL pre-season (including a flat out 4 games in 5/6 nights in China) and as Paul said, witout having the support at either end, Kev had to shoulder the load at both ends... Responsible for scoring as well as defending the opposition teams best guards as well... Doing that for to long would burn anyone out...

Reply #631743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings
Daylight!

Reply #631745 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I half expect us to go on a run of signing swingmen again now...

Reply #631746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was he really played that much during the preseason tour to China? If so that is criminal.

Reply #631755 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

That's a really strange signing for both Sydney and Blanchfield. Does he play 2 or 3 there?

Lisch/????
Blanchfield/Cadee
Newley/Moller
???/Garlepp
Maric/Khazzouh

There's still room for another import in that list. Maybe a starting 5, with Maric coming off the bench if JK is not fit to play, or they simply no longer want him.

Does Blanchfield start, or come off the bench? Maybe Gaze wants to give Newley more of a rest and bring him off the bench, to provide some punch when Lisch is off the court.

Lisch/???
Cadee/???
Blanchfield/Newley
???/Garlepp
Maric/Khazzouh

I think it's all strange, because neither Lisch nor Cadee are really PGs, and now they have signed a guy whose best years in the league were as a 2 in Townsville. Maybe Gaze doesn't see his offence as requiring a true PG.

Reply #631760 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Ask Gaze and LC. Shuffle don't need PG's. After all the mighty Tigers didn't need one.

Maybe they will get out of the 70's/80's one day.

Reply #631778 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Agree with Paul, Blanchfield addresses the need for depth in terms of perimeter offense. Kings just need the usual NBL staple of a quick scoring import guard for a strong backcourt.

Even with the anticipated expanded NBA roster, there are plenty of those scoring, small guards on the market. Doesn't always have to be Randle, Ware, etc. I personally would like to see JVG nab someone like Shane Larkin or Pierre Jackson.

Also love Wookiee's idea of recruiting Jois. I reckon his Baltic league stint is a disappointment with lack of playing time. If he wants NBA scouts' attention, he would do much better back home, particularly with an offensive minded coach. He may even get to start for the Kings with that empty frontcourt.

Reply #631780 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Kings need a facilitating PG import like a Ben Woodside type.

Reply #631781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@FSTOS they won't leave the shuffle, because they won two championships with it... two out of a possible twenty seasons... lol

Reply #631783 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mind you, teams running the shuffle won in 06, 08 and 09, and came runner up in 2011. What they did well was quick hit out of the shuffle though, not try to run too much of the intricacies.

Reply #631792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noted paul but I meant from Gaze Copeland era

Reply #631795 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

2009 Paul? Wasn't that the Goorjian South Dragons with Donta Smith? I think that was the 5 games GF with the Tigers as runner-up. Tigers championship years are 93, 97, 06 and 08.

2011 was the first Lemanis' Breakers championship and runner-up was Taipans. Pretty sure Fearne didn't run the shuffle :).

As for how successful the Tigers/shuffle really is, it has taken them to 8 GF appearances and 4 championships out of that 8. The only team with more GF appearances and trophies in the NBL is none other than the Wildcats, 8 wins out of 13 GFs. Come to think of it, I should stop bagging the shuffle... ;p.

Reply #631797 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

I think Blanchfield is a great signing as long as he comes off the bench! Although the Kings must've offered him a lot of money for him to come here as he will most likely be playing behind Newley.

Any ways I don't think he'll be starting as it's pretty clear that we need an import PG, and Lisch/Newley are not coming off the bench.

He'll be great for our depth tho, just be able to come in and hit a few shots and play some defence. I originally had the backup SF as our third import spot so not sure about the exact depth chart, but this would be an ideal team IMO.

Dillard or Ware / MDW
Lisch / Cadee
Newley / Blanchfield
Import / Garlepp / Moller
Boone / Khazzouh or Maric

I'm not really sure who we'd get as our starting PF and truthfully I don't like the idea of JVG picking our imports, however I don't like the idea of Garlepp starting either. The import selections should be very interesting... we better not fuck up and opt to keep Lisch as our starting SG again.

Reply #631843 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Starting PG you mean, Rex?

But yes, I agree with you and that lineup is pretty solid and I think now the two key focuses are Import PG who can facilitate and defend, and that 4/5 spot...

I'm not keen on Tommy starting either, I think once he sorted his role out on the team last season, it worked out ok for him...

I really home Maric is retained in the end and it's just a numbers thing, as him starting really takes a load off... All comes down to Jules and if he's fit to come back and will actually work at it and not coast... He's out of contract and I don't think that many other teams would be rating him that highly... Still injured and hasn't played in a year and a half...

If Tommy moves to back up Truck and we can squeeze in Jois between an import 4/5 and Moller, I think that would be awesome...

#DeathToTheShuffle

Reply #631864 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I think if the Kings can't land a big $ PG, Woodside would be the perfect fit!
Great general.

Reply #631866 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The NBL would have their pick of Breakers PGs from last season after the bad luck they suffered!

Woodside would have recovered by now, wouldn't he? Doesn't look like he's picked up another gig based on a quick look of eurobasket...

Reply #631871 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes Steve, the Dragons ran the shuffle very well in 2009 (laughed when Goorj said post-title he couldn't believe it had taken him so long to see the light after trying to defend it for so long) and Fearne ran the shuffle as his main offence for years, and still uses it at times.

Reply #631884 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Goorjian actually said that? Real cheeky of him, especially vs. Tigers too :). I didn't see much of the Dragons back then save for that GF series.

Never realized that he was running a shuffle since his imports and Jingles tend to shoot or slash early in the halfcourt sets. My memories were vague but pretty sure except for bad plays or slowing purposefully, his offense was executed very fast with only 1 or 2 passes.

Reply #631916 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He became a fan of four out offences at Sydney and then I think after what he and Gordie McLeod put together offensively at the Beijing Olympics he decided the shuffle was for him. He found a really nice balance of using the shuffle's strengths without getting bogged down in it.

Reply #631946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp on the outer?

Reply #631951 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

^
what do you mean?

Reply #631975 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The Taipans run a shuffle set on occasion, but it's just one of a few different things they do... It's THE thing we do in Sydney. It's not so much a problem of the shuffle itself, it's using the same shuffle action on 95% of possessions, and relying on Lisch or Newley to do something once the shotclock starts ticking into single digits.

Reply #632008 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

True AngusH, every team will incorporate some form of motion into their playbook that can likely trace their origin to the shuffle. But Sydney's? Well, near the back end of the season, Sydney's shuffle was so predictable you could see it starting like a slo-mo car crash.

I have the feeling that not too much will change in the new season, except Gaze will have the chance to select players that will make his shuffle looks less like a car wreck.

Reply #632047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is selecting players since when?

Reply #632054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG mentioning on FB today that they have signed another player in the US.

Reply #636445 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

On his personal FB?

Reply #636446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Not sure why he posted it now as it was referring to the recent signing.

Reply #636454 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754