KET
Years ago

36ers New Owner Interviewed

A few articles by Boti lately about Grant Kelly, the new owner of the 36ers.

Basketball Passion
» South Australian
» Lifelong basketball fan going back to the Glenelg v West Adelaide days - "The real reason I got involved is my absolute love of the game and passion for it"
» Adelaide Crows fan

About Grant
» Based in Singapore, CEO of a large Asian property firm
» Joined as majority stakeholder in December
» Became outright owner recently
» Has wine/farming interests in SA
» In it for the "long haul"
» Educated at Adelaide Uni, London School of Economics & Harvard University

About Joey, 36ers, Lightning
» Says Joey is a "must keep" "NBA level" coach
» Currently have management rights of Lightning, believes partnering the teams is a good strategy
» Sees Adelaide in a "premiership window" for the next 4-5 years

About Memorial Drive Hypothetical Revamp
» Would consider moving to Memorial Drive
» but... “Adelaide Arena should never be removed from the basketball world”
»“I love Adelaide Arena but it is a few clicks from the city. It's almost as if, if you could have that arena but at Memorial Drive, that would be nirvana.”
» Initially it would be likely the 36ers would play selected matches at both venues

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-are-lucky-eddie-captured-new-owner-grant-kelleys-imagination-way-back-in-the-70s/news-story/7e8b249a90bcd5ffa11e4f749d89b7ff

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-would-play-at-new-tennis-venue-if-memorial-drive-redevelopment-became-reality/news-story/d5bfecbb71030ae4f49febde434f1bf8

Topic #41096 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry nba level coach was mentioned, this is a worrying assessment.

Reply #631813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yet another n00b owner.

LOL @ "Premiership window" In the NBL we play for a Championship - he doesn't even know what he is competing for. using eggball terminology - another obsessed with that crappy sport

Reply #631814 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Relax, he also says championship there's nothing wrong with saying Premiership in Australia.

There's a lot of basketball fans who also like AFL, it is the biggest sport in the country.

Reply #631815 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Terminology aside, the idea of a premiership window in the NBL is pretty silly IMO.

Reply #631818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So people complain when there's no owners, when there's a consortium and now when there's a wealthy outright owner looking long term and establish long term to the club.
And while Joey may not step into an NBA head coaching spot he'd easily get a spot on someone's roster, the same as Brett Brown, would have to do his dues, which I doubt he be interested at this stage. So it was NBA level coach, not NBA head coach, your paranoia is worrying.
And so what if he said premiership, is that the most you've got to complain about really!

Reply #631819 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Normally I'd agree given the nature of the NBL and constant movement and change in resources. But with drmic/sobey/deng/hodgson that seems to be the plan: develop these young guys, get chemistry and bank on having a super strong core for 4 years. Whether it works...well I guess imports really do make the difference see: Cotton, Randle, Ware, Jackson (in the past)

On Joey, sure there's hyperbole and Perth fans hate him because they hate Adelaide, but Wright is clearly a talented coach with confidence from both players and management. I think 36ers fans can hardly complain with the results either. He really is a "keeper" unless he starts legitimately cracking it to the point of causing instability in the squad. Which clearly hasn't been the case yet.

Reply #631820 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anon, I think this is great news and he seems to be saying the right things so far. He's a legitimate businessman, that track record is impressive.

I'm interested in the kind of capital he'll be willing to put into Adelaide. Obviously we can't have a team that's just splashing cash and we'd like to hopefully be a competitive profitable/at least breakeven business but I think capital injection is required to get there.

As much as the piping shrike is slightly puzzling and the colour change from yellow to gold departs from the SA feel, I have to admit the logo looks professional and polished. I think that's a good indicator of things to come. The previous logo was amateur hour, previous owners did some absolutely great things but there are lots of things you want to get right and image is one of them. It sets the standard.

Reply #631821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA teams would see through his sales pitch act straight away. So no he is no Brett brown and let's not disrespect Brett brown by bringing him into it!

Reply #631822 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

On Joey, sure there's hyperbole and Perth fans hate him because they hate Adelaide, but Wright is clearly a talented coach with confidence from both players and management. I think 36ers fans can hardly complain with the results either.

I think he's a dick, but he is also the deserving winner of NBL COTY. Whether or not he is an "NBA-level" coach is irrelevant if he is coaching in this league and getting good results.

Bottom line - if Adelaide has an owner with money, commitment and business smarts then it's great news for the 36ers and the NBL.

Reply #631823 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agree with all that Luuuc...well perhaps not so much the dick part but I can see how others would get that vibe.

It's definitely easier when that person is part of your team, i'd probably hate Drmic if he wasn't a 36er.

Reply #631824 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People talk about "NBA level" coaches like they're a special breed or something. Are you trying to tell me there are no garbage NBA coaches? There clearly are. Dean Denop---- was an NBA assistant coach, and I think the emphasis should be on the word fragment 'ass'. Are you telling me that Joey Wright is not better than Dean?

Here we have an owner with cash who seems to be willing to spend it on the team, and people are moaning about his use of the word 'premiership'. It beggars belief.

One thing I've found with a lot of the Australian basketball fans is that they're never happy. The NBL has come along in leaps and bounds but they still bag it. The Boomers put the world on notice last year, yet you still moan about the loss to Serbia. Learn to appreciate improvement and enjoy the process and stop expecting things to happen yesterday.

Reply #631825 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It was only one person who said that haha

I think the views are generally more positive than they are negative

Reply #631826 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I would be more surprised if he didn't talk Joey up. Of course he is going to talk him up.

Reply #631827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey signed?

Reply #631828 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Where are you hearing Sobey signed?

Reply #631831 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't know what the go with Sobey is if you're referring to my post

Reply #631832 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Referring to Anonymous

Reply #631833 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

re: championship / premiership from the DKHD anon above.

the NBL may be championship,

if the bloke used to play here in SA as a junior, then he may well be like me, but all the little pennants that BASA used to give me as a junior say "premiers" summer or winter season, ......well almost all, ....... one says "runner-up" ---

Reply #631835 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Many people mau think you are a d@$k too Luc. Ppl that do not know the real you.

Reply #631836 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Should read may not mau

Reply #631837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey won't be in Adelaide, or they would have had it done already.

Reply #631838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Old ok I didn't know that about junior SA bball calling titles that.

Reply #631841 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

^ big shout out to the above post , ( if its the same anon) its V good to see that I/we should not tar all "anons" as trolls. thanks for taking the time to do the post.

Reply #631845 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Many people may think you are a d@$k too Luc. Ppl that do not know the real you.

Maybe people who do know the real me, too ;)

Anyway my point wasn't to insult Joey, it was to point out that fans perceptions are a long way down the importance list. Hey I think Gleeson is a dick as well, but I still have to give him the credit for what he has done. His players clearly don't think he's a dick and that's what matters. (Neither do the refs, apparently, which surprises me, because if I was one I would likely have tech'ed the shit out of him)

While I'm on this tangent, I'll also add that having polarising personalities in the league is a good thing in my books. I don't mind the Wildcats being one of the league's "villain" teams in recent years. It's good for a league to have players, coaches & teams that evoke feelings in fans, and it can't always just be love all the time.

Joey going off about the Hawks being dirty was some nice extra drama for the playoffs. I question his judgement in doing it, but it certainly spiced things up.

Reply #631846 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

While I'm on this tangent, I'll also add that having polarising personalities in the league is a good thing in my books. I don't mind the Wildcats being one of the league's "villain" teams in recent years. It's good for a league to have players, coaches & teams that evoke feelings in fans, and it can't always just be love all the time.
That becomes an issue, though, when you don't have hero teams. Or when the villain teams just keep winning.

Even as a Perth fan, I would have loved to have seen Illawarra get up this past season.

Joey going off about the Hawks being dirty was some nice extra drama for the playoffs.
Did Joey ever make any comment one way or the other on that story? I don't recall him being involved.

Reply #631854 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Joey just said he supported his players.

Reply #631861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was Randle and Creek.

and yes Very Old same anon

Reply #631863 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Boy are some people harsh. The guys it just talking up the situation and people are pulling apart the validity of NBA level etc. Is he going to say we have and ok coach, so so venue and the players are ok? This is just a PR exercise and to introduce himself. I'm just happy we now have someone who seems to at least have some money that will provide some stability.

Reply #631867 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Not me though Luuc. You are one of the few bearable Cats fans!

Reply #631872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame he's a feminist, though.

Reply #631880 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'll be damned . All the pennants here are premiers.
(I'd forgotten about them . Had to go and have a look.)
A coupla champions of champions.
Looks like a championship is when all the premiers play off...

Reply #631888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that Sobey was signed, news to come out next week.

Reply #631895 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Randle will play summer league

Reply #631899 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - check out Basketball SA's site to see the local terminology and why people interchange the terms

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-3656-0-0-0&sID=77311&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=5979060

It's also worth noting that the NBL itself has a history of referring to the "minor premiership",when describing teams that have finished top of the table in NBL regular seasons. e.g.:

"Helped the Wildcats to the minor premiership in 2009/10" (NBL Media Guide 2011-12, p81)

Who wouldn't be confused?

Reply #631901 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Sobey signed, Randle summerleague. Can we please get some links and citations?

Reply #631902 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sobey unexpected here , would be great if he has signed.
Randle summerleague was adelaidenow 36ers , botinagy

Reply #631903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Looks like a championship is when all the premiers play off..."

Mind blown.

and yes NBL refers to regular season winner as premiers at times... which is confusing re: what Kelley said unless he likes the result of this past season ;)

Reply #631907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey expected to sign in the next 24-48 hours

Reply #631911 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

and Randle a bit a harder to get..

Reply #631912 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

You confident on Sobey, Camel? Dont think we will keep JR?

Reply #631914 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes , sounds like we'll get Sobey. No , sounds like Randle too hard..

Reply #631917 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Bugger about Randle. Hopefully he goes overseas not to a rival NBL team!

Reply #631920 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds like three (3) new imports...

Reply #631922 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Cheers Camel. If they get that right we will be competitive. No truth to Webster rumour?

Reply #631925 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

So much for 'loving Adelaide' eh?

Reply #631926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He still might love Adelaide, just love mega $$$ a little bit more

Reply #631927 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

webster might be being thought about here

Reply #631928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster, nope.

Reply #631938 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Webster next to Sobey could be exciting- or a flop- not sure which.

Reply #631952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't happen, there are too many potential issues to sign him.

Reply #631953 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Yeah I'd love Randle back but hey, he's gotta go where the $$$ takes him.
He's 30 this year. I got the jist he's a bit angry about the whole NBA draft night rort
and feels a little cheated. Gotta milk it for everything if it means never having to work a job after retirement. Like shano76 said hope it's overseas and not for Sydney/united

Reply #632071 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754