Anonymous
Years ago

Time to bring back the Melbourne Tigers

Enough is enough. United was a failed experiment. Time to bring them back!

Topic #41109 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Can we please delete this thread

Reply #632103 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What makes it a "failed experiment"?

Reply #632105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sold out games and good revenue suggests it's better than the Tigers, and I'm an ex-Tiger junior.

That being said, I still think the Melb Tigers should make a return, but not because United is a 'failed' experiment, it should be because Melb Utd has brought basketball back to the city and created a buzz again! Well done to Kestleman and Crivelli in their marketing and financial management.

Reply #632106 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

Is that you Linday Gaze or Warrick Giddey?

Let it go

Reply #632108 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

is it that time already? I didn't think we were due for a Tigers post till mid July?

Reply #632118 | Report this post

Had the United brass put as much money into the Tigers before the rebranding they would have accomplished the same exact thing.

It's little wonder that when you pump seven times as much money into marketing that you're that much more successful.

Reply #632129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the South Dragons!

Reply #632130 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Victoria Titans

Reply #632134 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

They've always mentioned they'd like another Melb and NZ team soon, so Tigers could be on the cards if United decide to relinquish the rights to the name.

Could be the big marketing rivalry the NBL needs for the Melbourne Market to go to the next level in Melb..

Melbourne (Goulding) vs Sydney (Lisch and Newley) would be the promoters dream though.

Watch for Melb, Syd and Perth to splurge on big names again.

Reply #632142 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

United have been successful and is sustainable I dare say if Melbourne got another team it would be placed in Geelong or North Victoria. If you are trying to expand the league it would make no sense to divide the city of Melbourne.

Reply #632153 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

If and when the NBL decide to introduce another Melbourne club, I'm sure it will be a regional Melbourne team, not a rehash of an old inner city team. They will want to complement the fan base of United, not detract from it.

The next Victorian team is much more likely to be a South Eastern suburban team, based somewhere like Dandenong, maybe even Nunawading. I haven't lived in Melbourne for over twenty years (thank whatever deity you choose to worship/obey/laugh or point sticks at), so I don't know what sort of infrastructure is available out there. Is there someone in the know on this forum who may be able to help?

I suppose the team could come from the western suburbs, too. There's a lot more growth out that way, these days.

Did I mention Nunawading? I always thought that Spectres would be a good name for a team from there..... ;D

Reply #632155 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Everything Midrange said.

Plus it's quite obvious the Utd rebrand has been a complete success for basketball participation in Melbourne

Reply #632156 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

While the NBL made some headway last season, basketball's popularity is not yet on par with AFL, NRL, cricket or whatever they call the soccer league now, A-league? The two biggest cities, Sydney and Melbourne would 'struggle' if their market has to be shared with a second team.

Mainstream media won't give us a free pass, but we need to force them to give us equal coverage with the above-mentioned rival codes. The only way is to keep doing what we're doing now, improve it incrementally by tweaking the punters' experience, be it game-day experience or viewing experience through social media and better streaming.

Coupled with a strong push at the grass root level and better connection with the NBA to piggy back on its global popularity, its a tough but definitely achievable goal. Once we are regularly covered by MSM, a second team in the larger cities should be viable.

Reply #632157 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't really know the makeup of Victoria in terms of population, geography and basketball participation/support.

However, the NBL is getting to the point where a team needs to attract a certain level of talent requiring a certain level of expenditure.

This means a team probably needs to have a decent size market to attract sponsor dollar and crowd sizes of 6-10,000 and a stadium that can cater for that.

Given those things - is a regional team necessarily a better idea than a second Melbourne side? While it may detract from United's fan base in a sense, it might end up penetrating the Melbourne market better, make it more relevant and with things like a Melbourne derby, garner greater interest in the big city market.

I do think there probably needs to be a way for the fans to "know who to support" ie, Melbourne Tigers & everyone else, or "north melbourne" "south/ or rest of melbourne" kind of mentality.

Reply #632160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are fine except for the name "United"... change it!

Hard to promote an inanimate object kind of like the 36ers but even worse as it sounds like a football team.

Reply #632196 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's not what "inanimate object" means.

Reply #632202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. What would be the term?

Reply #632203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United isn't a success story so much as a cavalcade of free tickets, inflated numbers and extremely deep pockets. The same outcome could be achieved by any club with someone throwing that much money at it, and yet still hasn't engaged the broader population beyond local clubs/kids. Hardly a model for sustainability.

Reply #632208 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"36ers" is one of the harder names to promote given it's not an animal or some other traditional sounding sports name.

With that said, it does have a clear connection to Adelaide that locals can identify with, as does the Lightning with 1836 & William Light.

I guess we look to the 76ers and how they promote themselves

Reply #632215 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Dandenong is regional?

Reply #632217 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The expansion of the NBL has done the rounds a few times, while this thread is specifically about the tigers I guess it is an obvious progression to divert to that conversation.

I think the Tigers as an NBL team is a dead duck, it was and will always be too limited to realise its potential to attract the size of support needed, that's why they went the United pathway.

That said, I have always advocated another team in Victoria to create real rivalry once again, like the Tigers and Dragons had for a fleeting moment.

Lots of things have changed and continue to change, so any expansion will need to be the right one for the times, whether or not a regional team can come in first is a hard one, but we could see a regional team some day.

Bendigo would be the obvious choice, they already have a WNBL team and are building a 4,000 seat stadium next to their already awesome multi-court venue, which has meals, TAB and pokies, a bar, TV's and everything you need to succeed in bringing in people.

Geelong isn't ready, no other regional area is anywhere near what Bendigo already has and will have in the future. Bendigo's location is also central, only an hour from Melbourne and easy to get to!

The second Melbourne team needs to be financially supported like United have been and where they are based or how they are represented must be carefully thought through, because if that is stuffed up it would send the whole competition back two years, IMHO...

Reply #632306 | Report this post

Years ago

Bendigo is the best option

Reply #632322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck with sponsorship.

Reply #632331 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

and just WHY can you not have two Melbourne based teams...every other sport does, why not NBL, WNBL has three Vic teams, two Melbourne based as you dont class Dandenong as regional any more than you would Melbourne Boomers. The more teams the better for any league that has so few to begin with.
That is the problem with national league basketball its just way to small in its thinking.

Reply #632341 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The problem isnt adding teams. Its keeping them from folding. The NBL is extremely cautious about expansion because of the risk of losing new clubs after only a couple of years. But with only 8 teams, and the league in good shape at the moment, it needs to be done.

The NBL is in a difficult position because all major cities are represented with a team. So the options are: bring in a second team in Melbourne, Sydney or even Perth - and risk upsetting or dividing the existing club by breaking up part of its fan base. Or, expand in a regional area where sponsorship, suitable venues and viability amongst other things become a problem.

Unfortunately the NBL cant have 10 Melbourne or Sydney teams. It can probably have 2 in Melbourne but still needs at least one more club somewhere (probably asia) to really make an impact with expansion.

Reply #632347 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

anon - have you not been paying attention to the NBL the last few seasons? It's not like there are 20,000 fans turning up to games that teams can afford to lose part of their fan base (except Perth, which would be a curious case of what would happen if there was ever a 2nd Perth team, but can't see Nick letting that happen) so any comment saying that more teams the better will no doubt be met with appropriate ridicule...

Reply #632350 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

I don't understand all these weird suggestions?
A 2nd Melbourne team has to be play in the same stadiums as United. So starting them out in some hokey regional venue is pointless.

Reply #632450 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

I don't understand all these weird suggestions?
A 2nd Melbourne team has to be play in the same stadiums as United. So starting them out in some hokey regional venue is pointless.

Reply #632451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze to coach the new melbourne tigers team when they comeback. Sydney job was to give him experience.

Reply #632459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're saying new Melb Tigers will be owned by AEG Ogden? Otherwise that makes no sense.

Reply #632467 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Pizza Hut, I agree with the concept of playing two Melbourne NBL franchises out of the same venue in central Melbourne, with about a 10,000 seat capacity it makes sense.

Where has a hokey regional venue been suggested?

Bendigo is regional, but you obviously have not been there lately and have no idea of the infrastructure and facility they are building mate!

Reply #632471 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

We definitely need more teams, we are losing too much talent to AFL and other sports but before I'd add another Melbourne team I'd add an all Tasmania team that plays in Hobart, Launceston and Davenport, it will need sponsorship but with all regions identifying as it being their team then local businesses should want to jump on board.

If they can find an owner with very deep pockets or even make it some type of members owned club then I think it could work

Reply #632564 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

"Where has a hokey regional venue been suggested?

Bendigo"

Answered your question

Reply #632569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The community model for Tasmania is in hand. The Chargers have a 3 year "let's be NBL ready" plan.
The Government needs to get behind this push and for once in any Tasmanian Government lifetime help basketball.

The community clinics are now 200+ with 1000's of kids already attending clinics. The resurgence of interest in basketball across Tasmania is unprecedented.
BA, BTas and the NBL are behind this and for the first time in over 2 deacades all speaking with the one voice.
2000+ people at the first Chargers game. Certainly unprecedented in crowds for a seabl game. http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/local-sport/hobart-chargers-to-test-the-water-on-state-government-funding/news-story/19acb9185d9433449a40eda5e5d92f3b

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/4558123/state-to-back-hobart-nbl-bid/

Reply #632573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754