Lukosius
Years ago

WA SBL - April 2017

Here is the new April thread.....

Topic #41142 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the message from Lukosius on the tipping comp a late April Fools joke? I hope not.

Let's hope someone has the time and energy to keep it going.

Reply #632721 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Nope, wasn't a joke.

Reply #632724 | Report this post

Say What?  
Years ago

Damn....I was just starting to hit my straps too!!

Reply #632778 | Report this post

knowitall  
Years ago

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo don't shut down tipping comp nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Reply #632821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why shut down???!

Reply #632853 | Report this post

HiNRG  
Years ago

I sent an email to the SBL Tipping Comp administrator offering to pay, not sure if the email was received yet

Reply #632886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good onya mate. We appreciate it. Love the tipping comp.

Reply #632893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is tomorrow nights game between the magic and the suns in the mens comp that battle for the wooden spoon ? or is there someone else who will take that prize.

Reply #632918 | Report this post

Greg Gurr  
Years ago

Good chance.

Flames and Lightning would be the others in contention, but probably on the next line of betting.

Reply #632927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning are currently 3-1 and will likely be 4-1 after this weekend

Reply #632936 | Report this post

Anonononmous  
Years ago

Yeah, but Lakeside's three wins have been against teams who are collectively 0-11 at the moment (Slammers, Magic, Suns).

And they play a team this weekend who are 1-3 and about to send an import home.

Reply #632945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks v Wolves be a good clash both should be at full strength.

Reply #633052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who is the first import being sent home? Zollo probably bought himself another week or two. I'm going McNeil from Mandurah or Anthony from EP.

Reply #633063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone link the Tigers stats? Seems to be missing from live stats page

Reply #633065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stirling about to sign 6'10 import Drew Naymick out of Michigan State. Bounced around Europe a bit, NBA D-League and Japan too, the guy adds some serious height.

Reply #633085 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

"Can anyone link the Tigers stats?"

Women: http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/SBWA/589611/
Men: http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/SBWA/589803/

Reply #633090 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Giants' games: opposition vs Holmen/Pillard. The rest of the squad is a joke. Both of their games over the weekend saw only Holmen and Pillard scoring in double figures. As a result, both big losses.

Reply #633145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would loved to see Ettridge face after Davis torched the Wolves Sat night.

Reply #633161 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Ettridge got torched by Eagles assistants, Joe Alan not there.

Reply #633162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ater seeing the goldfields giants over the weekend I think they are done already.
even there feared home court advantage wont save this team this year.
its a one man show unfortunately, there recruiting team have got it horribly wrong.
atem atem is no mautaig muo as stated he is a mile off , pike is good but is not being played enough and is not sure of his role on the floor.
cant believe goodluck is not starting over forlano who isn't a starting point guard in SBL. Tierney at sg after they had been talking up reid as a potential starter.
they seem all out of rhythm, pillard is good but know Kenny manigualt or jay bowie they have had in previous seasons.they have enough size to compete on the boards but a back court of forlano and Tierney is not sending shivers down anyones spines. maybe a quality American point guard would have been a better option for this team. I hope they can turn it around because the giants are a proud club and everyone wants to see the country teams be competitive but they need to have a good look at whats happening and take some blame internally

Reply #633164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find Goodluck at the 2 once Holloway returns from injury, if he's returning at all? Giants need to turn it around soon, very soon

Reply #633166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't Wolves sign Davies again?

Reply #633187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coz he mandatory drug testing

Reply #633210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because complete the lyrics:
Change my pitch up, smack my _____ __

Reply #633211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the explanation... cryptic with the use of Prodigy lyrics.... I like your style, firestarter

Reply #633221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a lie
That was a lie made up by a team that agree to sign him then needed an excuse to drop him for another player

Reply #633247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*eats popcorn smiley*

Reply #633251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

53 fouls called in the Perry Lakes and Lakeside game. Bit of a joke to watch, people don't pay to watch refs

Reply #633528 | Report this post

wussell restbrook  
Years ago

I totally agree. The constant foul calls in a game that was not even very physical made me wishing i had stayed at home.

Reply #633567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers are beautiful to watch. Evans and Collins starting to gain confidence. #murky

Reply #633627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just reviewing the stats from Easter Thursday and seeing the comments about the refs.. 81 free throws shot in the PL Lakeside game. Why??

Reply #633734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Throns is the reason. Absolutely horrible to watch. 3-4 players fouled out

Reply #633773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How he is still coaching this league is beyond a joke. Has two kids playing so has to be a conflict of interest there, as well as the fact he is just plain horrible these days. Absolutely no feel for the game whatsoever and is not respected by any player worth their salt, in the league either. Its time the powers that be grew a pair and god rid of the dead wood in the referee ranks if they ever want the league to be taken seriously by those interstate or overseas.

Reply #633777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How he is still refing that should have said

Reply #633778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carwell was hit with a technical that was also his fifth foul for a very minor reaction to a call.

Simkovic fouled out in 19 mins

Hickert fouled out in 9 mins

Purser was restricted by foul trouble

Parkinson 5 fouls 13 mins with 3 other Lightning players on 4 fouls

No point shortening the games to make it more family friendly with this going on

Reply #633782 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Lakeside went to the line 48 times, 16 more times than Perry lakes

Reply #633786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The change to a 40 min game seems to be promoting stupid officiating just like it did in NBL.

Reply #633792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are some of the players in the running for Most Improved Player?

Reply #633807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take m. Hughes, m. Grist and n trengove for the rest of the season rather than have old mate throns on any of my teams games.. Ugh!

most improved: geordie murray - suns or jordan wellsteed - wolves in the men's. desiree kelley - tigers or kasey miegel - magic for the women's

Reply #633835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea belcher has the most improved wrapped up with possibly erin fischer . des kellys stats are poor this season. miegel is a defender who plays a role in a strong squad. uchich /Knowles started well for lakeside, Thompson from slammers, miotti from cougars,heathrington from flames,sticks from hawks.
grida from lightning will win the mens.kyle bowen runner up.

Reply #633841 | Report this post

HiNRG  
Years ago

It's only round 5

Reply #633844 | Report this post

Say What?  
Years ago

geordie murray - suns ???

Don't you mean Redbacks?

Reply #633849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone is stuck in 2016 lel

Reply #633850 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Easy to post somthing with no name. Stand by your words and name yourself. Plenty of other referees out there with kids playing and refereeing. Sisters playing and refereeing. By the way relivence to who we are and how we referee?

Reply #633854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ agree, same with K. Roberts officiating Cockburn games. She makes such an effort not to be bias towards Cockburn it actually works against the Cougars...

Reply #633855 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Could say the same about Campbell with wolves and that is just human nature. Referees are drilled to call the game as they see with guidance from referee coaches.

Reply #633856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LAKO ON TOP OF THE LADDER. EAT THAT, B!TCHES!

Reply #633860 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Settle down Lako championships aren't won in round 5

Reply #633861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hater!

Reply #633862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets be honest when Lee Roberts (one of the top 3 imports in his own right) and Vigor arrive they going to take some beating.

Tigers will be a chance.
Bucc's if they can get them with home court.

Top 8 basically set already.
Order TBC.

Redbacks
Tigers
Buccs
Hawks
Wolves
Eagles
Cougars
Senators (with full team)

Slammers
Flames
Suns
Lakeside
Giants
Magic

Reply #633863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wil be curious to see how the Redbacks play when they get the next two bigs in. Will they play all three together? Redhage and Vigor have some range but they arent exactly snipers. Could be a little crowded

Reply #633865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Naymick doesn't get here soon, I honestly give the Slammers a chance at stealing the 8 spot.

Reply #633896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember the guys on SLAM did this last year, if the Cougars started with the trophy, who has it at the moment.

Cougars Round 1 loss to Wolves
Wolves Round 4 loss to Eagles
Eagles Round 5 loss to Tigers

Tigers with the metal atm, in our fun hypothetical world.

Reply #633897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a sh!t post by random on the website. X's and Os, who gives a crap about his questions or the plain, boring answers. Thank God he doesn't do his preview garbage on here any more either. He knows nothing about the game but people still listen

Reply #633905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well you are definitely alone in that opinion. Most people here enjoy his previews. I have an idea for you.. it's pretty crazy so maybe you won't be able to handle it. If you don't like his writing.. maybe.. don't read it?

Reply #633906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rough.... we need more people like Random in our league. People who give a shit and generate interest.

Reply #633907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Random is normally pretty good and entertaining.

But the X&O's was very sub par.

Reply #633908 | Report this post

knowitall  
Years ago

On that note Utley and chechins are a clown show on the radio maybe someone should give them access to HUDL and all the games before they try and comment on the games by reading box scores that aren't done right half the time.

Reply #633912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you should make a radio show or a podcast if you want to criticize.

Reply #633914 | Report this post

Mark Utley  
Years ago

Isn't Chechins a breakaway Russian province?

Reply #633918 | Report this post

Mark Utley  
Years ago

I apologise too many kids parties for me to entertain at over Easter and the league putting all games on one night made it difficult than normal for me to spread myself thin. Yes would love HUDL, is it compatible to a Commodore64?

Reply #633919 | Report this post

red74  
Years ago

knowitall......you think the stats are correct? how about you volunteer at your club and show us all how much you know

Reply #633920 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

Keyboard Warriors UNITE! Xs & Os was just an idea we had to do something different to my usual stuff. It won't appeal to everyone, that's fine. But if it gets you angry that much, as someone else said just don't read it mate. We need more people to actually contribute to A Bowler and give him articles etc, if you have an idea - email the guy, he actually is really approachable and open to new initiatives.

Its far too easy for people to sit on here behind no names and just dribble shit about people who actually do contribute to this league. Cech and Mutley won't be everyone's cup of tea, but again if you dislike it so much just don't listen in the first place. In fact, go off and do a sport where its all about you and your own performance - say golf or lawn bowls. That way the only people to hear your pointless dribble will be birds and snakes on a golf course or old people who are too busy worrying about the 20 cent price rise in a middy of Carlton Draught rather than your constant whining and excuses.

I will throw it open to the masses though - You tell me the questions you would like asked (Within reason haha) and who out of the Coaches in the League you would like me to ask them to. See what we come up with hey...

Reply #633926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

keep going R@nD0m

Reply #633927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ignore the haters love the columns mate.

I would love to read about some of the 'backbone' philosophies the coaches around the league have. For example.. do they believe 1 big surrounded by shooters is the most effective? Pace and space? Grind it out defence slowing the pace down? Switching defence vs trapping?

The value veterans bring to a team?

The best young players in the league?

Pick the best 3 aussies in the league?

Best shooter in the league?

Best individual performance they have seen in the league?

Toughest player to prepare your defense for?

Tell about some of the up and comers on your team?

Reply #633929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #633932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please ask Lako the following question:

"How good are you?"

Reply #633933 | Report this post

knowitall  
Years ago

I think some of you need this
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymuse/2012/11/07/taking-constructive-criticism-like-a-champ/#6996c02c0c68

Reply #633959 | Report this post

Mark Utley  
Years ago

Thanks champ, great read! Hopefully I can enact some of the valuable lessons in the article.

Reply #633964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning @ Wolves: Wolves aren't as strong as last year so this could be close but you give the edge to the depth of the Wolves at home.

Stirling @ Willeton: Probably a bad matchup for the Senators. They have nobody to guard either Bowie or Turner. Tigers should win comfortably.

Buccs@ Perry Lakes: Watching Purser guard Benjamin would be a great matchup however I think being at Bendat the Hawks should take this one. Adekponya could go for 40 against his old team.

Magic @ Slammers: Bunbury will win by 10+

Cougars @Lightning: Padgett vs Billups will be a great matchup. Hard to predict this one without knowing what version of each team will show up.

Redbacks @ Giants: Does Redhage travel? If he does, Giants won't even sniff a win here. Redbacks by 20

East Perth @ Suns: Probably be a close game but Kevin Davis will have 20/20/5+ blocks and get the win by 6.

Buccs@ Flames: Buccs backing up against a fresh Flames team but still should get the win easily.

Hawks @ Stirling: Who guards Carwell? Purser and Ellis will negate each other but Vague could be the X factor. is Wroe back? Hawks by 6.

Tigers @ Suns: Like Davis, Turner should have 20/20 and get the team over the line. Bowie vs Belger will be a great match up.

Flames @ Cougars: Flames are gritty and always fight hard but Cougars just have too much class in this one

Reply #633966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are Wolves sucking now?

Reply #633974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they are sucking at all. They just don't have the top level talent they did last year (Hire, Davis).

They are still very talented and very deep.

Reply #633977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant in relation to last season. Seems like no longer favourites as they were in the past. Davies gone makes sense though, but unfortunate since it sounds like he wasn't signed in a dodgy way. They've cost themselves with that one.

Reply #633979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Wolves import's combined this year dont bring 25% of what Davis did.

Wolves will do well to try sneak that 4th spot.

Reply #633992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning @ Wolves: Wolves by 20, salinas and iliadis with 20 each

Stirling @ Willeton: Tigers by 12, Turner 20/20, Scott 30pts

Buccs@ Perry Lakes: Hawks by 6, Carlwell with 20/16

Magic @ Slammers: Slammers by 10. Voelkel 15/11/12

Cougars @Lightning: Cougars by 15, Field 25/10.

Redbacks @ Giants: Redbacks by 12. Holmen 15/10 if Redhage plays, 25/15 without.

East Perth @ Suns: Eagles by 16. Davis 30/18

Buccs@ Flames: Buccs by 6. Closer than some might think; Benjamin 36points

Hawks@ Senators: Hawks by 10, Adekponya 30points

Tigers @ Suns: Last time they met tigers won by 81 points. Tigers by 30. Turner 35/25

Flames @ Cougars: Cougars by 5. Billups 30/17. DAMN.

Reply #634002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers lose at home and this board is quieter than a brothel the day before payday... Coincidence - I think not. Some will say no Turner but they were just beaten by a side who wanted it more. Austin did an absolute masterclass on the walking ego that is Armour and what a block by Cody on Bowie right at the end!!

Reply #634062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol. Who cares. Any team from 1-8 could win it. Playoffs are 3 games, I take them against 6 of the other teams any day.

Reply #634068 | Report this post

Say What?  
Years ago

Some will say no Turner but they were just beaten by a side who wanted it more.

No Turner you say?? According to box score he had 25/6/2 in 32 minutes?? Maybe no heart instead?

Reply #634077 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Perry Lakes looked really poor tonight. Buccs credited with 16 steals, but most of those were due to bad passes from bad decisions. Buccs should struggle late in games with their limited bench stocks, but were well in control before they got too tired. Parsons has a bit to do to get "team" installed into the group. R Smith was really good all over the court. Throns improved more than you could imagine and did a good job along with the other two. Couple of contentious calls but overall good and didn't really influence (or destroy) the game.

Reply #634097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry Lakes were bothered by Buccs length last night. They turned the ball over 20 times and shot Free throws very poorly. Ryan Smith was the only guy who stood out. They just have some guys who make bad decisions with the ball and a couple who consistently cant deal with pressure. For a team with talent they have a few guys who really arent mentally strong at times. This offseason could be interesting for some of these guys. They also dont shoot the ball well enough from the outside. Really missed O'Sullivans scoring and hustle off the bench.

Reply #634105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Grida gone from Lakeside, moved to the AIS

Reply #634283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cockburn with an ok win against Rocko yesterday.
Boof Godfery still showing he's one of the best guards in the league. Cockburn had no answers for him, he bullied their guards and shot the ball very well.
Is Zollo the worst import in the league? Can’t shoot, can’t defend and didn’t even start... send him home.

Reply #634306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zollo is terrible. Another one of these imports that is all show when he hits a three but fades into the distance when he is needed. If it wasnt for Jack, Rocko would be in real strife

Reply #634307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will see your Zollo, and raise all in with Wade Guerin!!
6pts @ 35% /4.8rbs/0.6ast

Reply #634308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im not talking about the imports that have been here previous seasons turner,nichols,mullenax,holmen,bowie,voekel,barrow etc.because they are all A grade players and I may have missed a few more im not sure as well but
the import batch this season are easily the worst that have come into the S.B.L for a long time if not ever. billups the exception. just my observation.

Reply #634309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benjamin been ok

Pagett been OK

Reply #634311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not so sure about that - there are always 3-4 dud imports every year.

Benjamin from Gero and Billups from Cockburn are some of the best imports the league has seen. Couple that with the inclusion of Redhage for the Redbacks and Waters for the Hawks, who has been solid without being outstanding, and you've got a pretty decent crop.

Never before have there been so many quality imports stay from previous seasons either - Turner, Holmen, Davis, Nichols, Lee Roberts (when he arrives), Barrow, Bowie, Vokel etc.

You are really just talking about Rocko, Wolves, Magic and Lakside imports (who aren't even that bad).

Reply #634312 | Report this post

knowitall  
Years ago

Why aren't more clubs live streaming games. I know for a fact that a number of SEABL teams are doing it. I like that Rockingham at least post their games on Youtube after which is nice.

Reply #634396 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

For a number of reasons, but the biggest one being Internet speeds and bandwidth.

Current ADSL Internet connections just are not fast enough or reliable enough to give you a 'good' streaming experience. And I would assume a number of the stadiums in our league have other restrictions in regards to their Internet connection, such as monthly quotas.

Once the NBN becomes more mainstream and common, you will see clubs starting to do it. NBN is way more available over east, hence why you are seeing SEABL games being streamed. But NBN hasn't quite caught up over here yet in WA, particularly in the regions.

We have toyed with streaming our home games up here in Kalgoorlie, but after running some tests, the ADSL at our stadium wasn't going to be up to it.

Reply #634454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Lukosius.

What about uploading your games for your fans on the youtube?

Reply #634456 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

We are looking to do that during the second half of the season.

Reply #634457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

remember when SBL was televised on channel 31?
Roland Brooks commentating

Reply #634547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no. any youtube of it?

Reply #634555 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Carlwell with a monster game against Redhage and the Redbacks

Reply #634572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Kevin Anthony barely play for East Perth?

Reply #634605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone else think Gero arent as good as the ladder is showing? They have only really beaten a couple of teams fighting for that 6-8 spot on the ladder.

Reply #634651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re K Anthony. Referees tell you to get off when you commit your fifth foul.

Only seen Gero play once and they looked pretty strong. Bench not so deep but that's not too important now.

Definitely be top four unless they have injuries or the like.

Reply #634657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - Anthony had 5 mins 0 fouls?????

Are you on drugs?

Reply #634661 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

A new SBL thread for May has started.....

www.hoops.com.au/forum/41240-wa-sbl-may-2017

Don't post any further messages on this thread.

Reply #634662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony not well regarded at Eagles.

Reply #634666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above comment is not true

Reply #634677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754