anon
Years ago

NITP

Could someone please shed some light on how kids are recruited into the NITP program?

I thought it would be trials along side tracking at DIV 1 games, although considering there is a fair bit of talent to develop in division 2 you'd hope there'd be an open invitational to be seen?

someone mentioned TI camps but even that doesn't seem to be the case.

I would expect being part of the NITP program fairly important to chances of making a state squad come 16's 18's.

Southern Cross Challenge under 14's is an open invitational though is that correct? Some kids made the metro squads from div 2 level or even 3 as the invite wasn't passed on only to the division 1s.

I cant find anything on the BSA website that explains it, and being that my kid is keen to develop and move toward that path in the future just ensuring they have the best chance.

Topic #41147 | Report this topic

Latrentis  
Years ago

SCC in Vic is invite only for VC & Met 1 players, or if clubs send in nominations outside of that. So many different views on NITP...won't get involved in that discussion.

Reply #632822 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

yes southern cross trials are open to anyone, best speak with your club JDO or contact BSA if you are interested in NITP

Reply #632823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some clubs don't tell players from 1/2 about it so many kids miss out. They only tell their select elite players they rate. Other clubs inform all 1/2 players as ots great development.

Reply #632827 | Report this post

Larry  
Years ago

I still want to know the reasons why 3rd teams have been cut out of reserve state championships. Nothing put out (that I have seen) by game administrators after saying it was ok for years. If anyone can tell me some of those Div 2 teams are "elite" they are deluded. Straight out blocking involvement by decision makers.

Reply #632830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is why you should consisder movinf your kid if rhey are trapped in lower teams at strong club. They are missing opportunities to develop and network and yes some are more talented than higher div players and exactly why you need to move your kids people. Just do it and you may be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

Reply #632847 | Report this post

Larry  
Years ago

more likely trapped by a talent suffocating by-law. Hardly going to drive another 60 mins 3-4 times week to join a b grade set up at a club that has proven it cant get its act together - we have standards !

Reply #632865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The. Your kid misses out on opportunities as sometimes its about who you play against and not always about the winning. Its how you develop. So don't complain if your kid doesn't get invited to train at that level at camps trials etc. and some clubs trainings can actually be closer than your own club as was the case with my kid. They are also having more fun, made better mates and that is at all clubs and building a relationship with the club in other ways instead of being osolated at rhe bottom of the heap at a steong club. They have been selected for other squads at higher levels due to the opportunities and massive improvement playing in the 1's. Work for us and for many others and worth it. The other option is they would have eventually quit as bot enjoying it anymore. Now fallen in love with the game all over again. We parents need to think about the lids needs and not our own stubborn wants.

Reply #632868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry if your child isn't able to make it into the Division 1 or 2 teams (in theory best 16-18 kids) at their own club there's little chance of them being capable of making an NITP squad which is usually only for the best 15 of any age group across the State.

If you truly believe they are capable then why would you stay at a Club who doesn't share your faith in your child and instead is choosing to hold your child back in Division 3?

Reply #632876 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Thanks, they've been invited to TI camp so i a guessing this is a segway too.

And YES i am absolutely completely and utterly all for families moving kids if they are being held back. When i say held back, i mean if you have opinions other than your own that your child should be being devloped higher. Go and seek the advice of a non biased devlopment coach or two, ask them for the hard facts, if you are told your child has potential and the right skill level plus the desire to work, MOVE! man i see kids stuck in that second year rut of the div 3 program at Sturt and Forestville and Norwood so often, if you're happy that's cool but heaps arent and do nothing.

Move your kid to west, north... anywhere!

Reply #632878 | Report this post

Larry  
Years ago

Keyboard propaganda by draconian sympathisers . The clubs that are struggling need to be getting good coaches and quality systems in place. They should be places people want to go - not forced to. My daughters would rather change sport than venture into your suggestions. Rather than promoting these stifling concepts these people should be out in the public recruiting. If they think it is working they are deluded - numbers the lowest I have seen for years - particularly in the north west.

Reply #632881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Complains about "Keyboard propaganda" then posts some.

Larry you asked a question and got an answer. Don't like it enjoy Div 3 and holding your child back.

Reply #632882 | Report this post

Larry  
Years ago

I take on board your advice, thank you for the debate.

Reply #632883 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

Larry, surely you are using satire?

You sound like a Lannister from game of thrones.

standards? what? other clubs don't? you've studied their ethos?

anyhow. Your girls arent playing state champs - if you think state champs is important in their development, move clubs. if not, stop complaining.

Reply #632885 | Report this post

Larry  
Years ago

not satirical - I do understand and take on board your points and probably posted this debate in the wrong thread to start with - as my discussion has nothing to do with the original thread.

Reply #632887 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

No biggie. As a parent of a child who moved from one of the big 3 to a smaller club (and was seriously reluctant to do so, assuming simlar things to yourself) i would truly look at other clubs for your children.

My child has flourished beyond belief. Moved based on being told by countless people, including opposing coaches they were being held back being coached in a lower div and only competing against those kids.

They're now growing by competing against kids who are truly skilled, growing by learning under better coaches, growing by playing with kids who can play both offense and defence - i will never ever look back and wish i had done this in under 12's when first realised politics held them back.

Div 3 at a big club may mean more trophies, a run and gun style of ball (which suits heaps of kids) but it also means no state champs, no TI, NO SCC, No state...a ceiling.

Reply #632901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith, if your kid cant make d2 at a club, they probably aren't making state as they have multiple players from their original club in front of them.

BTW all skill acquisition methodology says that who you play against isnt as important as who coaches you.

You practice 4-6 hours per week for a 1 hour game. that 4-6 hours is more important to development.

Reply #632912 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

Hey anonymous, you would be incorrect there but i understand the general concept of what you are saying - however my child has since made state selections.

i wont get into the nitty gritty, but my kid was held back politically and that is all, not skill i didnt lose any sleep over the bullsh*t that happened nor did i make noise i just moved them.

Players above them who have parents on the board or coaching a div 1 or 2 team and very average players at that. As simple and pathetic as that, but we all know that's just how it goes in junior sport.

If i could wave a flag around saying "MOVE YOUR DAMN KIDS" to parents smelling a rat, i would.

Reply #632913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone can go out to selections selections. Again doesn't mean that they make a team.

Whilst its good that your child receives opportunity not that were failing due to political reasons, but not all people are playing for themselves and potential future opportunities.

Many are playing for their child to be involved in a club with friends or to make friends with people from the local area. Some don't see the point of travelling a distance when they are happy close by.

Finally, most have worked out that over time their child will make it as a player regardless of opportunity and those that need it elsewhere will move again when they hit another road bump rather than work through it, as they've already been told that its easier to move than to stick it out.

In time you might come to understand that its usually only a couple of clubs represented in state teams because of those clubs level of development. And that even in those clubs only 2-3 players from any age group end up in seniors playing PL due to competition for spots. And that from those good enough again only 1 in 10 make it higher than that, and that's being probably being generous.

Reply #632958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kid did not fit at local club because of the me attitude and many kids left despite a successful club so moved to less successful club and so much happier, made great friends and the drive is fine and definitely worth it. Just do what is right for your kid and family but don't think you need to be loyal as most clubs are not loyal back and if your kid needs to move for opportunity then don't be resistant to it.

Reply #632978 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

^^^ yes. Along with our many reasons of shifting our teen, the culture of the club was very inter competitive, movements up and down around and around week to week, even throughout winter.

Our kid started to lose that team feel or that pride you get when you dig deep with and for the team, it wasnt celebrated, it wasnt mentioned, nothing really was, the coach barely acknowledged the kids let alone encouraged them.

We'll never look back. We drive 30 mins to training and it is longer by 10 mins than the previous club, big deal.

We now have a coach who cares about the kids, shows them respect by greeting them by name yet is beyond strict, whips them into shape, takes no s&it, benches them when they get selfish, promotes a team first attitude and in return has complete devotion and respect of these kids and absolutely has mine and this less successful club is building an awesome program which in a fwew years will be very successful however all i care about is my child is taught how to play for the team first, is challenged to reach their potential both mentally and skill wise and is able to access good programs and trials to take their game higher.

Reply #632988 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754