Freethrows
Years ago

How will teams go about filling their rosters?

As usual, there has been a lot of talk about off-season signings for NBL teams. Some have been confirmed (like Moller to Melbourne United) and some seem more like speculation, like Khazzouh to United.

So how are teams going about filling their rosters? I've seen JVG quoted as saying his local signings will depend on the imports he can get. I know Aaron Fearne likes to sign the best local talent he can get, then choose imports according to the gaps he feels need filling.

With NBA teams going to a 17 man roster, how much will the field of available imports be weakened? Does this mean teams should be fighting harder for the local talent available, so as to put together as solid a lineup as possible, or do you wait for the NBA teams to resolve themselves and scramble for the best imports you can afford, then fill out your team with the best of whoever's left?

I guess it will vary from team to team, depending on who's already signed. With only Rotnei Clarke and Torrey Craig signed as imports for next year (and Craig possibly seeking citizenship), there are 22 import positions available to be filled, so pretty well every team needs to go there, eventually.

Topic #41196 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't read too much into it. A lot of guys have likely reached verbal agreements. It's still early in the process .. Can't announce them , since they are playing in other leagues

Reply #633690 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"With NBA teams going to a 17 man roster"

Source?

Reply #633692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think a source is needed for old news .... Go read the CBA

Reply #633693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at asking for a source for an already announced change.

Reply #633696 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

To make it easier to speculate, I'll summarize each team's remaining slots, assuming they're going for 3 imports.

ADELAIDE: 3 import spots. Chasing Ramone Moore?

BRISBANE: 2 imports.

CAIRNS: 3 imports, 2 locals (Damon Heuir re-signing rumour).

ILLAWARRA: 2 imports, 2 locals.

MELBOURNE: 3 imports (Josh Boone rumoured to have signed), 2 locals (Daniel Dillon? Julian Khazzouh?).

NEW ZEALAND: 3 imports, 1 local.

PERTH: 3 imports.

SYDNEY: 3 imports, 3 locals.

If you assume the rumours are all true, its really only 7 local spots left to fill (Cairns 1, Illawarra 2, NZ 1, Sydney 3). Some are probably already in verbal agreements so the only one looking a bit behind the eight ball is Sydney.

Kings fans definitely fretting about that empty frontcourt and not many local FA bigs out there. They will most likely have to rely on import bigs or returnees. JVG was in Europe though, so he may be scouting there a bit.

One interesting thing I came across was Joey's in Singapore scouting for possible Asian import. Maybe to replace Jacobsen? Probably ends up getting one for a DP spot. Everyone's encouraged by NBL to get one in their roster ala the Kings and Bullets.

Speaking of which, Gaze managed to recruit 2 new Chinese players into the Tigers to 'replace' Bo Liu. The interesting one of the two is Ming Zhao, a 7'2" kid who weighs around 130kg. Supposedly have a very nice touch but only 17 years old.

Reply #633706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that's right about the Tigers player. Rest assured if he was any good he wouldn't be in Australia.

Reply #633707 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@693/696 - I wasn't aware of that change in the newest CBA. No need to be assholes.

Reply #633708 | Report this post

KickRocks  
Years ago

Kings to announce college signing soon

Reply #633709 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

so the only one looking a bit behind the eight ball is Sydney.

*sigh* it's always the bloody Kings... Considering we didn't sign our complete team until what, halfway through the damn season last year, I don't hold much hope...

Kings fans definitely fretting about that empty frontcourt and not many local FA bigs out there.

That's putting it politely, especially if you factor in the rumours of Tommy being released...

I just tried to load the NBL website to see if they had their shitty FA tracker working and my god it still fucking sucks donkey balls... It would be interesting to see what positions are needed at which team, as now Moller is signed at United (as well as the Boone re-signing rumours), the Khazzouh rumours are possibly a bit off seeing as how that would make them the anti-Kings and have a very front court heavy team already?

Reply #633711 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If Boone is coming back I can't see how the Khazzouh rumour could be true unless as I hypothesized that Andersen is gone. Majok & Moller are under contract too.

Reply #633713 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

ugh... our off season is too long... want answers now...

Reply #633714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have a pathetically short season.

Reply #633716 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yeah, off topic but the season is too short.
And the playoff semi's need to be best of 5 series too....

LK will fix it!

Reply #633726 | Report this post

Zodaic  
Years ago

This offseason will be shorter than last though with no Olympics or WC pushing back the start of the season by a month.

Reply #633738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But last season wasn't pushed back by a month. What are you on about?

Reply #633744 | Report this post

Zodaic  
Years ago

Last season started in October not September.

Reply #633748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So did the previous season...

Reply #633751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last time a season started in September was 2009-10.

Reply #633752 | Report this post

Zodaic  
Years ago

Okay maybe the league has moved to an October start date permanently now but the way it had been for a long time was the season started in early Sep unless an Olympics or WC was on then those seasons it would start early Oct.

Reply #633754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even back in 09-10 and before it was always the last week of September. So you are way off.

Reply #633756 | Report this post

Zodaic  
Years ago

The season before that it started on the 13th Sep, yeah way off.

Reply #633757 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

They changed it ages ago because the start of the NBL season was being lost in the media among AFL and NRL finals. Not much better since until this year.

Reply #633762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The season before that it started on the 13th Sep, yeah way off."

LOL yeah which was 2008-09, you said "last season" originally which was 2015-16. Eight years is way off in my book.

Reply #633763 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Does anyone have any concrete evidence that the Hawkies have resigned Foreman & Coenraad?

I'm assuming we've stayed loyal, but really want to know! : )

Reply #633937 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/knockback-spurs-hill-on-to-make-statement/news-story/2d00a84b1cb48fc01a6bae830da8019c

So it does look like Jeromie will stay in Sydney after all. I've always felt he was underutilised, particularly last season.

Not many bigs have his skill set and I wondered why Gaze used him mainly at 5 with no license to shoot it from outside. He was an ok 3pt shooter as a big in Texas-SA.

Reply #633953 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Paywalls for news articles, I just don't get it... So going to have to assume what it says and even though from post-game pressers it was sort of clear that Gaze was still a fan of Hill, but that still never translated to more than maybe 20mins of game time for the season...

There's a new video out of Copes discussing what he and the coaching staff have said they were after for next season... A big 5 who can rebound, a stretch 4 and a back up guard... No mention of import (or otherwise) PG, so it looks like Gaze will be persisting with not having a proper PG... Hoepfully they get the other parts right that help cover for this, otherwise it's going to be another long season...

Reply #633955 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Paywall? Well, Gerrans wrote in the article that "Hill and his management are continuing talks with the Kings, optimistic a new deal will be struck for next season, but he was left disappointed by the Taipans decision."

"I suppose I am not what they are after," Hill, who came through the Cairns Basketball program, said.

“Cairns is one of the places I would love to play at but it is a bit disappointing Fearney (Taipans coach Aaron Fearne) does not want me to come up and play."

Anyways, Jeromie should be a natural stretch four, certainly has the ability to defend bigs and have the ballhandling/shooting to stretch opposition. Just need more opportunity and have the coaches focus more on him in training.

Reply #633958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players now openly whinging their home town club won't sign them. Come on, get real Jeromie. Why are you entitled to a spot on a roster just because it's your hometown?

Reply #633975 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Thanks Steve... With Pineau signing with the Kings last week, seems Hill is out of Sydney options at least...

Reply #634154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...hence openly complaining another team won't pick him up, as if it's their duty.

Reply #634164 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:59 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754