Anonymous
Years ago

7'0 Makur maker

Anyone know what year maker was born?
He's looking pretty good atm.
Probably a guy we need at u16 Asia champs if he's the right age.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiH14nLsoVU

Topic #41199 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

00 or 01

Reply #633715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is 15 year old

Reply #633723 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Isn't it this guy?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/matur-maker

Reply #633800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Matur is thons brother. Born 98. 6'10.

Makur is thons cousin 6'11-7'0 born either 00 or 01.

Reply #633804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is makering me so confused.

Reply #633805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't really have any standout bigs for the upcoming u16 qualifiers so he would come in real handy. Hope schueller and co has reached out to him.

Reply #633808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of 02 bigs to look out for in upcoming ajc u16s.

Reply #633812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

josh green (6'5-6'6) is a nice prospect too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KXPU_fQwe08

Early Offers from Arizona, Arizona state, California, tcu, etc
Interest from Kentucky, duke, North Carolina, etc

Reply #633938 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is suspicious about the age of some of these sudeneese kids!
Surely BA do their due diligence when even considering these kids for national squads.

Reply #633939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makur maker will probably better than thon maker,
Insane upside and potential.

Reply #633940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Impossible to audit ages from a country with no paperwork.

Reply #633943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a really good u16-17 group.
Lots of quality guys to choose from.

Rantall
Jackson
Capetola
Clarke
Meldrum
Madden
Taulapui
Bald
Steiner
Maker?

Etc etc

Wigness
Tsapatolis
Simmons
Ugle hagan
Smith
Bath
Graetz
Armstrong

Etc etc

Reply #633944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people give a sht about his age.? He goes to school in America. Last time I checked your age doesn't make you 7'0 and be able to ball. Thon has to play against men in the NBA who are 30+ so it doesn't matter. Makur will have to do the same thing if he makes it. Stop being narrow minded prejudice pricks about every Sudanese kid who comes from a war torn country and paint them with a broad brush just because he has talent. Every time a discussion about these kids come up someone takes a shot about their age. I don't hear this crap about Ezi Magbegor. Good for them for seeking out an educational opportunity and monetary opportunities instead of getting into trouble. Get over yourselves and stop hating on these boys because they got game and your in your arm chair wishing you or your kid were as good as they are. I hope they never represent Australia because Australia doesn't represent them.

Reply #633956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You're in your" self corrected

Reply #633957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a big head start if you're 4 years older than the field, you would have to be a stand out which then helps you all the way through.

Reply #633965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I hope they never represent Australia because Australia doesn't represent them."

WTF, we accept them as refugees but by your logic still they shouldn't be grateful to represent us?

The issue is a lot cheat their ages, which isn't fair, they have +4yr headstart on other youngsters, denying them opportunities. It is a fact, not hate.

Get off your soapbox you PC cretin. Sounds like a little bit of valid critcism on age cheating has riled you up on a rant that Aus hates Sudanese bla bla bla. Grown up!

Reply #633972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grow up*

Reply #633973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't hear this crap about Ezi Magbegor."

Why is she being brought up? Despite being Nigerian ethnicity she was BORN in Australia, which means her birth is recorded correctly. You are comparing an Australian born African to Australian Africans born overseas, big difference. Very puzzling for you to bring her up as a comparison.

Reply #633981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ezi was born in nz I believe.

Reply #633998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wellington, Victoria not NZ. lol

Reply #634004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fiba listed her as born in Wellington NZ in u16 oceania and u19 worlds.
I guess they changed it to Wellington Aus.

Reply #634008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 631981.

name a few Aussie Sudaneses
who faked their age. Or you
are just bullshitting

Reply #634017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 633956 said faking ages like Thon Maker did "doesn't matter"

yes, it does matter.

Reply #634018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 634018

Thon's old passport
showed that he was 19 when he was drafted.

https://www.google.com.hk/amp/uproxx.com/dimemag/thon-maker-passport-age-conspiracy/amp/

Reply #634021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im hoping makurs passport says 2001.

Reply #634022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He graduated from Aranmore School here in Perth in 2010, then left for Sydney and "restarted" high school there. What is 12-turning-13 year old doing graduating Aranmore after five years?

Reply #634023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Thon, apart from being super athletic, must be a super genius to be able to graduate high school at age 13 with English as a second language!

Reply #634024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is 12-turning-13 year old boy doing graduating Aranmore high school which normally takes five years?*

Then he moves cross country and restarts high school in Sydney as if he is a completely new person, and plays organised ball for the first time.

Ten years spent in high school = the age he claims now? what a joke

Reply #634025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting how his passport was issued in late 2009, the same time that dodgy agent spotted his talent. With no way to discern real age from war torn Sudan you can apply for passport with any age created.

Reply #634026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 634023

where is the proof that he graduated from
high school in 2010?

Reply #634030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is on reddit a fellow classmate of his uploaded their high school yearbook from 2010 graduation class with Thon in it.

Also other students from the school also confirmed he went to school with them.

A cousin of his who is in AFLW let slip they went to school together yet that matches up with Thon being much older.

It is common knowledge here in Perth.

Reply #634037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, These are not really evidences. nothing but fabricatd stories

Reply #634039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it's not.

Reply #634046 | Report this post

BigTree  
Years ago

Makur is 16 and was born in 00. He is 6'10". He moved to Australia when he was 1 years old. For the conspiracy theorists, get a head start on your stories.
The whole Sudanese age thing is bs.
Thon was in Australia since he was 6urs old. He went to the English language school section at Aranmore. For the guy who said he surfaced in Sydney in 2009 when his passport was issued that's false. He came to Sydney in 2011and started to play for St. George basketball club. His passport was issued by Australia not Sudan. So those who are questioning it assumes that he tricked the Australian system in 2009 and waited 2 years until 2011 to start playing?
Get a life and move on. He's playing well in the NBA and is going to represent Australia.

Reply #634054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the issue is not senior basketball. If they are 2-3 years or even more out of the age group they are playing in it isn't correct or genuine. This therefore impacts on those that are the correct age in making that team in the first place.
Fantastic if it's all legit, but there are many inconsistencies with Sudanese born Aussies at junior level. So before they pull on the green and gold the powers that be should be very cautious!
Imagine if we won a Jnr gold medal at the World Cup and it surfaced that a player was 2 years older than every other participant!

Reply #634059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many NBA execs off the record acknowledged something funky with his age during the draft. Even ESPN asked him and his answer was less than convincing.

Reply #634063 | Report this post

BigTree  
Years ago

Well it seems the Milwaukee Bucks got it right and did not pay attention to the rumors. They are benefiting from trusting that Australia got it right and could determine if Thon was the correct age when they issued his passport in 2009.
The same type of people that are so caught up on this issue are the same as the "birthers" in the U.S.
At the end of the day, I hope he plays for Australia and dons the Green and Gold. I heard that South Sudan now has their own basketball program just started and will be reaching out to these Sudanese basketball players from Australia. If their age is a big problem, then they should just go play for where it's not an issue. That way they won't be taking opportunities from "real" Australian kids. But if they want to play and have valid documents like Thon, let's give them a go.

Reply #634072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree that the age questions the Sudanese kids face are just racist. Yes, some parents or guardians have tried to fake a kid's age to get him against younger competition and looking superior. But Shabazz Muhammad pulled it off and he was born in California. Lachlan Dent has grown about 7 cm in the last five years and seen a lot of kids surpass him on the court. I don't see anyone claiming his success in younger age groups was because he faked his age. A black kid following the same progression would absolutely be accused of it.

Just let them play. The same as anyone else, if they're good enough they'll get there and if they're not they won't.

Reply #634073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Racist! What crap!!!
The best basketballers in the world have the same skin colour! It's funny how the kid in question at the start of this thread was born 2001, now he's 2000.
There was a sudenese player in an U19 Aus squad a few years ago out of Victoria who got injured, during his rehabilitation period a bone density test was done revealing that he was in fact 25!
BA and the coaches at the time didn't make a fuss about it and just removed him from the squad rather than answer any questions of how this could have ever happened!
Needless to say he never represented Australia but played rep ball against kids 7-8 years younger.

Reply #634075 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Bone testing to accurately determine age can only be done on men at or around 16 years old. The wrist bone in a male fully fuses in a male at age 16.

Nothing else has been proven scientifically to accurately determine age, although there are other tests which are currently going through research (e.g. scans of other bones such as the collarbone)

Source: myself, working in international sports and competitions subject to age limits, and litigated these tests.

Proper source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2465138/ and a few ohter published studies.

Reply #634076 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This conspiracy theory BS with Thon's age was debunked at the time of the draft yet some people are bringing it up again in an attempt to discredit a relative.

There will always be jealous and spiteful people out there and instead of being proud of these young Sudanese kids representing their adopted home country Australia some just want to bring them down with their twisted bitter jealousies.

Reply #634078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So one African kid faked his age means they all do the same thing ?

ok, one white kid was a murderer means all white kids are murderer. Right?

Get a life

Reply #634079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of white racist people here who are jealous of the
accomplishments and potential of these sudanese
youngsters. Get a life

Reply #634084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The people saying age questions are racist are extraordinary dumb.

Reply #634091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"ok, one white kid was a murderer means all white kids are murderer. Right?"

OMG how dare you. Stop being racist to whites!!!!1

Reply #634092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A lot of white racist people here who are jealous of the accomplishments and potential of these sudanese
youngsters. Get a life"

How do you know the colour of the poster's skin?

And you assuming questions on age is racism by whites is reverse racism, you racist pig.

Reply #634093 | Report this post

BigTree  
Years ago

" The best basketballers in the world have the same skin colour! It's funny how the kid in question at the start of this thread was born 2001, now he's 2000.

I think the best basketballers in the world come in different skin colours. There are other great players in other leagues and in other countries that are not playing in the NBA by choice.
As for the age of the kid in question, the thread was actually started as a question of whether he was born in 00 or 01 if you go back and read it.

Reply #634095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just wanted to know if the 'person' in question was born in 01 which would make him eligible for the up coming u16 Asia tournament.
With a lack of bigs in that age group, I thought he might be one to look at being 6'11-7'0.

Reply #634096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's nothing wrong with asking if his year of birth makes him eligible for an age group.

But every time a thread comes up about a talented Sudanese kid, there's someone claiming he's several years too old for the competition. Point me to just ONE thread where someone makes the same accusation of a white kid.

Reply #634100 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Point me to just ONE thread where someone makes the same accusation of a white kid."

If there's a 7' white kid suddenly appear on the scenes who has moved to Australia from a country with sketchy birth records, then you'll probably see it. There can't be a thread about something that hasn't happened so I don't see your argument as being valid. Personally I couldn't care less. These kids have made Australia home so just embrace them and let them play. It's not like we're talking about hundreds of kids taking all the spots from someone's precious darling, but a supremely talented athlete here and there who can go on and help our senior teams in the future if we embrace them. If we drive them away we'll lose them. Looking at the way Thon has developed in the NBA this year who wouldn't want more of the same coming through for the Boomers?

Reply #634104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All skin colours fake age. Ilyasova moved to Turkey from Uzbekistan woth a new identity and age. The Chinese have faked player ages many times.

Reply #634109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with*

Reply #634110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duke Fan, the point I was making with Shabazz Muhammad is that there's a kid from a country that doesn't have 'sketchy birth records' who has nonetheless faked his age for competitive advantage. It's not impossible if a parent is determined to do it. I understand why you'd be more skeptical about the kid who shows up out of nowhere. But I don't see the harm in giving them the benefit of the doubt. And obviously you agree on that point.

But what are the relative odds of a 7'0" white kid showing up from a country with sketchy birth records? Which majority caucasian countries would you suggest meet that requirement? How many of them produce 7-footers at the rate that Sudan does? Does that country's population have a reason to be fleeing en masse and without documentation? If you want to decide that something virtually impossible has to happen in order for a probability to be acknowledged, I'm not sure I see any point arguing with you. I guess I'm doing it anyway so I'm the idiot.

Reply #634143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Logic above is sound but nonetheless the dumbo "racist!" shouters won't be able to comprehend.

Reply #634146 | Report this post

BigTree  
Years ago

I don't believe the logic is sound in the case of the Sudanese kids who come here from Sudan at a young age. First of all, most are on some sort of government aid so it's will be easy to establish age at point of entry.
The premise that must be established is that a 6 year old or a 1 year old kids parents in a refugee camp knew about the riches of NBA basketball and decided to fake their age before receiving documentation to travel for a competitive advantage in a country who's main sport is not basketball. I can see these kids and parents faking that they are older in order to receive an advantage in government aid from Centerlink which uses school ID as valid sources of identification. This is common in the Sudanese community as this money is then sent back to help family members who are still in refugee camps.
The argument that these kids show up out of no where is not true. They live in Australia and attend English language schools mostly catholic based. They play outdoors for the most part when young until someone can sponsor their fees for club basketball. When they show up out of nowhere they are better conditioned and more athletic than their some of their Australian counterparts that have had mom and dad driving everywhere. They have learned to settle their own arguments without adult intervention so when they come in to these stadiums they are usually deemed as undisciplined street ballers.
I've worked in social services for years and it's not only Black Sudanese-Australian kids you see like this in sports. I can go to Minto and find a poor tough White or Aboriginal kid and bring him out of nowhere and he will have certain athletic and intellectual advantages in sports based on his environment.

Reply #634149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't fake their age on entry.

It's afterwards when they get spotted outdoors as you say.

In Thon Maker's case he was the same, playing outdoor football (soccer) until Ed Smith agent spotted him, paying for bball and other expenses.

That's when the shenanigans begin.

When refugees come over they don't have an Aus passport as not travelling overseas. So Thon's first passport was when Ed got a hold of him.

Of course the parents as refugees have no idea about NBA riches etc.

Once the agent saw the potential the move to Sydney occurred and all other types of dodginess.

Reply #634166 | Report this post

BigTree  
Years ago

"They don't fake their age on entry.

It's afterwards when they get spotted outdoors as you sayThey don't fake their age on entry.

"It's afterwards when they get spotted outdoors as you say.
In Thon Maker's case he was the same, playing outdoor football (soccer) until Ed Smith agent spotted him, paying for bball and other expenses.
That's when the shenanigans begin.
When refugees come over they don't have an Aus passport as not travelling overseas. So Thon's first passport was when Ed got a hold of him."

Your post cannot be true. When refugees come over they are given visa by the Australian government to migrate to Australia. This document is used to establish identity, allow you access to school, and allow you access to government services like centerlink. This same document is used for them to get their passport.
In the case of Thon, his passport was issued in 2009 with an established birthday of 1997. As has been posted online numerous of time Ed Smith was in the U.S. in 2009 with another kid named Ater Majok (and we all know how things turned out with that Thon did not join Ed Smith until 2011.
There has never been a change of age in Thon Maker's case. Furthermore, if they wanted to change their age, they would need a bone density test and approval from an Australian immigration doctor. This information is relatively available through Australian immigration and BA has access through an FOI as they are a government funded agency. They would not be recruiting Thon if they felt " shenanigans" were going on.

Reply #634192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BigTree - thanks for the informative posts.

Reply #634198 | Report this post

BigTree  
Years ago

No worries. Most of the facts are there for the public and some people just don't look before posting.

Reply #634242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4q3bvy/research_into_thon_makers_age_probably_far_older/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4qbh92/more_thon_maker_age_proof/

Contains scans of yearbooks from 2009 & 2010 referencing Thon being in Year 11 & 12. Informative.

Reply #634251 | Report this post

BigTree  
Years ago

Does reddit reference how old Thon Maker is and whether he is a regular student or in the New Arrival Learning Center the program which is usually filled with refugees of all ages. These kids are part of Aranmore and "graduate" to move on to mainstream schools.
Here is a quote from Aranmore on the NALC program:

NEW ARRIVALS LEARNING CENTRE

Aranmore Catholic College is the only school in Catholic Education Western Australia to have a New Arrivals Learning Centre. The Centre is available for those students from overseas who need to be prepared further before they can attend mainstream Australian secondary schools. Typically, this means learning more English so that they become fluent orally and, importantly, in the field of Academic Writing which is difficult even for mainstream students.

Whilst in the Centre, the learners not only study General and Academic English but also continue their learning in Mathematics and attend HASS, Science and Religious Education lessons. Students also participate in sporting activities and work on creative art projects such as making videos, e-books, magazines and creating various artworks.

Once the NALC student has become a competent user of English and is adept in the new culture and customs and at ease with the new way of life here in Australia, they invariably enter into the mainstream of our school although some may choose to attend another school nearer to where they live or access TAFE or university courses."

Informative

Reply #634281 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Thanks BigTree

Someone has done some research at last.

There are educational programs in Australia for students learning English later in life, populated by migrants from linguistically diverse backgrounds. Usually enrolment is limited (2 semesters in at least 1 state school system). The students tend to be very keen to learn, as it is seen as their chance to become proficient in the language of their new home. After the intensive placement, there are further time limits on English as a Second Language teacher intervention in mainstream schooling. The time limits for assistance are strict to keep within budget.

There is a history in Australia of migrant students being enrolled as younger than their real chronological age. The thinking was that the kids would learn English better in junior primary, and thus not be disadvantaged later in their schooling. The advantage sought was in entry to uni, not junior sport. That was before Sudanese kids entered the scene, so I wouldn't know if the Sudanese community think this way or not.

If a kid was also playing "over age" and made junior rep teams and such, it is a bit of an issue for the poor kid who misses out. BUT Thon Maker is an adult and there are no age restrictions on NBA draftees. Andrew Gaze was "old for college", and no one seemed to mind the age issue (prior pro experience was another matter altogether).

So, if Thon or any other kid from the Sudanese community is really older than claimed, it makes no real difference once they're an adult. Any unfairness is history. Just as long as they don't enter in masters events when their documents state they're only 25.

Reply #634282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So now part of the argument has become "lying doesn't matter."

Reply #634292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did not lie.
These were all faked evidences.

Reply #634295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fake yearbooks, no one would create those. Talk about a persecution complex

Reply #634296 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reddit sleuthing versus Milwaukee Bucks due-diligence.

Reply #634299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was watching ESPN SportsCenter yesterday and during the Raptors-Bucks Game 5 highlight featuring the unknown Norman Powell going off for 25pts there was one play where he was guarded by Thon Maker. During it the anchor even made a veiled dig re: Thon's age.

Reply #634355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

19 year old or 23 year old, it makes no difference. Thon is going to be A star in the nba, very possibly a first ever Aussie nba allstar.
we should proud of thon's achievement and embrace him as an Aussie, because unlike Kyrie Irvive, Thon wants to play for the boomers.Instead of hating, we should be proud of him.

Imagine a team of the following in 2020 which
will give the usa a run for its money.

Thon
Simmons
Bolden
Adel
Exum

Humphries
Makur Maker
Matur maker
Mills
Delly
landale
Acuil

Reply #634373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol^

More like

Delly/Exum
Mills/Ingles/Broekhoff
Simmons/Adel
Maker/Bolden
Bogut/Baynes/Landale

Reply #634374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut will not last until 2020 , too many injuries.
Baynes is a very average player in the nba. Makur maker, Acuil and Humphries will be impact players in the NBA.

ingles might be too old for the next Olympics as well.

Reply #634375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makur won't even be 19 by then.
Are you talking about Matur? he will only be 22.

Reply #634378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YES, sorry, I meant Matur.
Humphries, Matur, Acuil are pontentially
better than Baynes

Reply #634379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries maybe.

Matur I doubt we will see him play for as.
Lual acuil is a long shot.

Reply #634380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754