Utah
Years ago

Adelaide Import spot

Adelaide have entered talks with D-Fenders guard Josh Magette and also ex-Breaker Dillard, looking to replace Randle.

Magette a seasoned player has played in Greece and the Netherlands, he recently averaged 19 points and 10 assists for the D-Fenders in 2017.

what do you guys reckon? would either be suitable to replace Randle? Not sure about Magette but looks like if they were to go with him they are hoping for more of a playmaker PG rather than scorer.

Magette would make sense if the Moore rumors are true. Doubt Dillard would be in the price range...

Topic #41201 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Magette looks good but we really need some scorers for him to be effective. On the personel we have right now he wouldn't be my pick. But if you teamed him up with some shooters he'd be deadly/

Reply #633720 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think they should be talking to Ryan Boatright.

Reply #633727 | Report this post

Zodaic  
Years ago

I hope they don't go with an untried guy in Randle's spot. It's understandable not re-signing Randle but we really need a gun to replace him so a Dillard type would make more sense and it's not like he would be asking for the money Randle was on last season either.

Reply #633739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore
Dillard
Ebekwe

along with the current guys is a seriously good looking team on paper.

Reply #633759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats with 6ers fans and ibekwe ... theyve had a thing for him for past 3 years lmao

Reply #633766 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon...because Ibekwe is a good rim protector and is agile enough for Joeys game style.

Reply #633768 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Magette is an interesting choice...not one I hope we are seriously considering though. I think we need more scoring power or at the very least one who is considered a threat from beyond the arc.

Reply #633769 | Report this post

Maggette is a bad fit for Joey. Wouldn't be surprised if he was replaced mid-season if he does sign.

Reply #633771 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

LOL this guy looks trash!

Reply #633774 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I feel a bit for Randle's replacement / potential replacements.

Anything that doesn't look like Randle is going to get "LOL this guy looks trash!".

Don't worry the same happened when DeAndre Daniels replaced James Ennis.

Reply #633779 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

And Deandre Daniels was trash

Reply #633780 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Is josh Magette the BROTHER of Corey Magette??

Reply #633784 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

"And Deandre Daniels was trash"

He was not what the Wildcats needed that's for sure. Trash? I wouldn't go that far, he was one of the leading rebounders for the year as well as blocked shots.

The main issue was he was forced to play out of position (SF) when he had no handles and could not create.

Reply #633791 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Dillard would be great, I imagine he wouldn't be too expensive. Could probably get him maybe around 180k? The other 2 imports just need to be upgrades on Ferg and Jacobsen and with a bigger budget I'm sure they will be.

Reply #633830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other 2 imports couldn't possibly NOT be upgraded on the ones we had this past season excluding Jerome Randle. That club went budgetttttt and it back fired come finals time and we needed extra dudes to step up. So hopefully Joey backs his coaching this season and builds a team that can win and win come finals time, he has to believe. Because those imports prove they didn't think they were going to be doing much more than making up the numbers last season.

Reply #633891 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think that's true and said the same thing recently about Ferguson. Before the start of the season most had us finishing around bottom and I suspect the Sixers probably thought similar which is why they took a gamble on Ferguson.

You're not going to effectively blow an import spot on a high school kid if you think you're a legit contender. Jacobsen was cheap too with Randle taking up a fair chunk of the cap.

Upgrading on both Ferguson & Jacobsen shouldn't be too difficult so not as much would be required out of Randle's replacement. Factor in growth and improvement from our young list and we'll hopefully be around the mark again next season.

Reply #633892 | Report this post

KickRocks  
Years ago

Zodiac, I'm glad that you can see that as many fans are so stuck on Randle. Randle IMO went to S#%t in the crunch and because everyone else was so used to standing around watching him all the time, when it came down to it, only sobey kicked into gear late in the last game.

Just imagine if the whole team clicks!!

Reply #633895 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/special-reports/joey-wright-former-presto-import-pba-adelaide-36ers-coach-asian-import

Looks like Joey's looking for another young star in the making. So I suppose he's not signing the 7' indian guy at the combine.

interesting that its been reported that an asian player import is "mandated" by the NBL.

Reply #633898 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

That 7' Indian bloke has shrunk a bit, he's just a bit over 6'9".

Reply #633899 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Magette sounds ok. A real pass first pg. Need shooters though. Was Moore a 3 point shooter?

Reply #633902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good link, Very Old. I didn't know Joey played in the Philippines because Wikipedia is quite pathetic for older NBL players/coaches' ex-Aus playing history.

1991-92 Memphis HotShots (GBA - minor USA league)
1992 Presto Ice Cream (PBA)
1992 Pensacola HotShots (GBA - league shutdown in Dec '92 halfway through planned 92-93 season)
1993 ?
1994 ?
1995 Geelong Supercats (NBL)
1996 Geelong Supercats (NBL)

There is a gap for 1993 and 1994 years. Anybody know?

Reply #633923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So having some "asian" guy polishing the bench will make "asians" watch the NBL??? ROFL

Since the USA is probably still the biggest basketball market, why don't we get some Americans to play in our league.

Reply #633946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah exactly no one in Asia cares as they have their own leagues. Same as we follow our league and don't care about theirs.

Reply #633947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JW played 27 games in 95 and 96 according to my info. 25 and 2 games. 22 ppg in 95.
No mention of him earlier.

Reply #633948 | Report this post

anaon  
Years ago

"Yeah exactly no one in Asia cares as they have their own leagues. Same as we follow our league and don't care about theirs.'

yep , you've nailed that point right on the head, we anons have no idea of any Australians playing in any overseas leagues, don't know and don't care.

LoL

Reply #633949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm talkinga about Asia-Aus relationship.

If any Aussie players in Asia they are a scrub so we don't follow them, unlike US/Europe-based players.

Same as if a Chinese or Filo came they are bench players no one back home cares about. But the NBL thinks this will increase fans.

You've mixed up Euro/US players with my point about Aus-Asia/Asia-Aus for the sake of arguing.

Reply #633976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"JW played 27 games in 95 and 96 according to my info. 25 and 2 games. 22 ppg in 95.
No mention of him earlier."

We know the NBL stats, why quote those lol. The point was where did he play in 93 and 94, can't find anywhere online which country or league he played in.

Reply #633978 | Report this post

anaon  
Years ago

"If any Aussie players in Asia they are a scrub so we don't follow them"

Fantastically enlightening comment re asian leagues and the scrubs that play in them.

I agree with you , even in the women leagues, their best players are simply scrubs, just have alook at the names..

LoL (still) :)

Reply #634001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anaon are you drunk or just dumb

Reply #634005 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Josh Magette just signed a 2-year 'two-way' deal with Atlanta Hawks. He'll still play mostly in G-league but guaranteed at least 45 days in the NBA. He cancelled his SL plan and didn't participate in Orlando. So no Magette to Adelaide...

Reply #638877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when are there 45 day guarantees for D-League players to play in NBA? Since the roster expansion?

Reply #638892 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754