Anonymous
Years ago

Dane Pineau a King

Confirmed by Kings email.
"The Sydney Kings today announced that power forward Dane Pineau has signed with the club for the upcoming 2017-2018 National Basketball League season. The Kings will hold an option for a second season..

One of Australia's rising 'big’ prospects, 22 year old Pineau comes to the Kings following a solid four year stint at renowned St Mary’s College in California - a program that catapulted Patty Mills and Matthew Dellavedova to the NBA and numerous others to professional international careers."

Topic #41208 | Report this topic

SteveK2  
Years ago

Pretty snakey of them dropping names like Patty and Delly to gee up some excitement about the signing.

He's no Kevin McHale in the post but at least effcient and tough enough to body up to someone like Nate Jawai. Solid 11th man I suppose.

Reply #633982 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Its 'snakey' for the Kings to name drop 2 of the Gaels success stories buts it's OK for you to name drop the best low post player in NBA history to compare Pineau against?

Reply #633985 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Of course its ok, the context of what I'm implying is different to them. Nothing to hide here...

Reply #633987 | Report this post

KickRocks  
Years ago

Steve2k you know what to do. Yep, kick rocks.

Reply #633993 | Report this post

Green34  
Years ago

Not fair on Hill who was never given a chance to play. Kings are not strong on developing players. This kid will never get minutes.

Reply #633995 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Might well be Ben Allen mark II. Interesting how the NBL article referred to him as "St Marys standout"

Isn't he a Tiger's old boy?

Reply #633999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't even start for St marys, doesn't play big minutes but he's an ex tigers junior player, who knows what to expect.

Reply #634000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a great defender and finisher. Nice signing.

Reply #634003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What r u lovebroker? Pineau's mom ? Steve on the money with the sneaky name drop. Its a crap signing and they try to snazz it up. Stink of tigers boys club,look after ur own eh Gazey? Pathetic.

Reply #634010 | Report this post

KickRocks  
Years ago

Get the scissors out, tall poppy alert!!!
He had a great Junior year as a starter, injured his back in the pre-season this year and took a few games to get right, so came off the bench behind Jock Langdale. Jock started playing well, and the rest is history. He will make a solid NBL contributor.

Yeah, he was an ex-tiger, so I guess that should be held against him??? Who are you comparing him against in terms of young available Aussie bigs?

Reply #634019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Dane as having a similar career projection as fellow former SMC big Mitch Young. Dane finishes under the basket well but where he excels is on the defensive end. Great rebounder, has long arms to change shots without getting a heap of blocks, disrupts a lot of passes and can get steals when hedging the pick and roll due to his length. He will be an NBL role player, as he was at Saint Mary's, who will impact games with his D and rebounding throughout a hopefully long pro career.

He would have been a starter his senior year but had back issues to start the year. This allowed Jock to take his starting role and we all know that Landale took that opportunity with both hands!! To Dane's credit, he accepted his 6th man role and helped SMC to another great season.

Reply #634020 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Tall poppy? Please... He'll have to grow a lot taller first as a pretty little flower before we savagely cut him down. Not that my frank assessment was aimed with the intent to do so. If you have sufficient attention span, you may actually notice that I did credit him for his efficiency and defense.

I'm fully aware of his 'outstanding' 11ppg and 8rpg junior season, the back injury and Jock starting news. I probably wouldn't have sounded so annoyed if they'd mentioned Ben Allen and Mitch Young instead of Mills and Dellavedova to let people know that he came from the hallowed SMC program.

Considering Allen couldn't cut it in the NBL and Young averaged a whopping 5 ppg and 3 rpg with the Bullets in his 4th NBL season, I should kick rocks because Pineau may be the next Matt Nielsen? Forgive my cynicism but until he does, I suggest you kick rocks.

Reply #634028 | Report this post

KickRocks  
Years ago

Nice rebuttal 2k! What we want is teams promoting their divining as the league is building. So your negative approach is exactly what's needed to kick rocks! Get kicking.

Reply #634029 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

promoting their divining

I need someone like Ricky to post a Tim the Toolman puzzled grunt meme here.

Is that supposed to be development? Firstly league is still 8 teams with no news yet of any expansion, so I don't get your concept of 'building'. Building what? Hype?

As for divining or development if that's what you mean, you need to stop smoking them poppies. We're talking about Kings here, tell me whatever happens to the development of Brandt, Moller and maybe Jeromie Hill? I'm not being negative, just being realist.

Reply #634033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^ exactly sk2

Reply #634038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people are just dumb when they say "Stink of tigers boys club,look after ur own eh Gazey? Pathetic."
Yet they let the old Tiger Vickerman go quite happily back to the "opposition". Guess we forgot that.

Reply #634043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Sometimes I think ppl on here don't actually follow the league. Vickerman is a Tiger himself.

Reply #634045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing, good defender, high basketball IQ, doesn't take bad shots. Accepting the 6th man role like he did in his senior year also takes a big man especially after Landale had been underwhelming in his first two years. Give him a chance to show what he can do.

Reply #634051 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

For people not familiar with him, particularly Kings fans, here is a link to an SMC vs. Valpo NIT QF game during his junior season when he was starting ahead of Landale. Its only one game, but good enough to give you some idea of how he plays.

Pineau (no.22) was mainly matched up against Alec Peters (no.25), a projected 1st round pick in this year's draft. There were a few matchups with Vashil Fernandez (no.14) who may be comparable to Majok Majok, if you want to evaluate how Pineau might fare against him.

Valpo was a strong program under Bryce Drew and you may need to take into account that NBL players could be a bit stronger and physical than the college game. Anyways enjoy and make your own assessment.

Reply #634102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again the Kings allow Andrew bring in a Tiger who will bring very little to the team other than energy and listening to Gaze explain the shuffle.

This signing with all due respect to brad pineau, is another move towards the Kings owning the wooden spoon in the 2017/18 season.

Reply #634121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above, you're as silly as they come mate. Firstly, Dane already knows the shuffle inside-out. And if you think there are better rookie bigs available, name them pal! What world do you live in where you think Dane doesn't deserve his shot in the NBL? This 'Dane' bashing that you're doing in a disgrace!

Seriously, get over yourself.

Reply #634124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew said after watching 1 training before joining the kings william mcdowell is a future boomers, then he said a few days ago craig muller is one as well.

Most coaches would jump at the chance to sign 2 future boomers or at least 1!!

But yet he a sign a players who he and copeland can only describe as a great kid.

Can someone on here Please Explain his reasons??

Reply #634126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 634126

It's quite simple really, first thing is they never play more than 6 or 7 players till garbage time, the second is Andrew doesn't pick the team, JVG does, so at a guess McDW and Moller sore better options elsewhere.

Reply #634128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the greatest australian basketball player ever is picking the team that he want to win games and possibly a championship.

JVG might have access to the cheque but he's far from a person who has the basketball knowledge and player management skills to put a team together. Although from what I'm told he thinks he a basketball guru.

IMO both andrew and JVG will be under enormous pressure this coming season to show the kings fans the promises JVG talked so loudly about last season.

Anything less, andrew will be back in melbourne lobbying to bring back the tigers in the nbl and JVG should be shown the door as well. Then bring back goorijan!

Reply #634134 | Report this post

Green34  
Years ago

Really? "Australias greatest basketball player" picked his team last year with an unlimited budget and ended up at the bottom. He just wants a player to sit on the bench, practice hard, not complain, and come at minimum wage.

Andrew hardly played half his team to the potential they could become. Hill, WMW, prewster, and moller were all benched. Not even given the chance.

Reply #634138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does JvG keep getting hired. What a confidence man.

Reply #634139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754