Anonymous
Years ago

Nick Marvin leaving Wildcats

According to Lachie Reid Nick Marvin is departing the Perth Wildcats organisation.

Whoever steps in has some big shoes to fill!

Topic #41211 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder why and what the reasons for stepping down are

Reply #634031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that news should make most hoops posters very happy. he seems to be one of the most hated people in the nbl among people here.

Reply #634032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wonder why and what the reasons for stepping down are"

Pretty obvious he is leaving as the Cats are on the absolute top performance wise, some local vets are close to retirement, the only way is down. So that's on-court. Pay Cotton $$$$$$$$$$$$ so you go out on top. He knew what he was doing.

Off-court with all the money in WA dried up after the boom no one is spending money and soon it will be reflected in the no. of members and tickets sold. Give it a season or two but it will hit the club shortly.

Reply #634034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also no blame when Matty knight ends up in all sorts of health issues.

Reply #634035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he seems to be one of the most hated people in the nbl among people here."

He is arrogant. As a member I can tell you the way he talks to people he views as below him or doesn't need anymore is shocking. Does this to members and also sponsors who he kicks to the curb once finding a bigger donor. He has some sort of management degree, is that where he learned be rude?

Anyway he rode the new arena wave and is stepping down on a high. Shroud but not a very nice person.

Reply #634036 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Would any other club be interested in his services ie the 36ers with the new owner and a hungry for success fan base perhaps ?

I hope that happens so then Wildcats fans/members can hate him too

Reply #634041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bye.

Reply #634042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if the Hawthorn CEO job vacancy and this move have anything in common?

Reply #634044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He won't be interested in another sports role unless it involves a team with a big fanbase which moves back to the city from a woop woop suburb and increases capacity by 3x and take all the credit for it.

Reply #634047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Would any other club be interested in his services ie the 36ers with the new owner and a hungry for success fan base perhaps ?"

Nope. Not after his antics on the old NBL board vetoing every good proposal which would aid the league and all the other clubs. Selfish.

He was even was anti LK until basically told by the rest of the league if no LK Wildcats would have no opponents left in Aus and would need to move to an Asian league that he finally woke up to himself.

Reply #634048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't normally leave that high profile job without having something to go to. Maybe his bonuses will see him retire?

Reply #634049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bonuses retire... lol

Reply #634052 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

A lot of criticism here considering the success Perth have had...

Reply #634056 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Marvin is a flog!!!

Reply #634057 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

"He was even was anti LK until basically told by the rest of the league if no LK Wildcats would have no opponents left in Aus and would need to move to an Asian league that he finally woke up to himself."

^ So true

Reply #634061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps Gleeson and Neilson are both getting promotions?

Reply #634064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF LOL no, they are coaches not executives.

Reply #634065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much bullshit in this thread.

Reply #634066 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

I never liked the way the guy conducts himself and i have been critical on his involvement with player recruitment.
This will hopefully allow the coaches to recruit right from the start who is going to fit in there system. Forward for the cats with a more humble executive please!
The success should be with the players foremost and then their supporting cast. This guy is a poor man's Vivek radinive.

Reply #634067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely. The recruiting sucks. Those four titles the Cats have won in the last 8 years just prove he was damaging the place...

Reply #634069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hilarious how many people form an opinion after reading a few bullshit Boti blogs.

Reply #634070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Absolutely. The recruiting sucks. Those four titles the Cats have won in the last 8 years just prove he was damaging the place..."

Exactly! LOL! What a shitty run the wildcats have had in the Marvin era. I bet they can't wait to see the back of him!

Reply #634071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with Boti blogs. Marvin ran the league for years with Perth interests at the forefront. Perth have been outstanding over a long period of time and now he's lost that powerbase he's walked. CYA.

Reply #634080 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think Mother Teresa could retire from the Wildcats Front Office and she'd be accused of:

- Only helping the poor because of Bendat's money.
- Getting her Nobel Peace Prize because she sat at the Nobel Comittee.
- Establishing the Missionaries of Charity only because that town had a mining boom.

I don't think its Nick Marvin the person, its Nick Marvin the Wildcats CEO and MD like to tear down. The next person will get the same treatment.

Reply #634082 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Nick Marvin introduced himself to my son & I at a game a couple of years ago. He seemed like a nice guy. Any other opinions would just be based on hearsay.

Reply #634085 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure Mother Teresa is a great example... There is a hell of a lot of critical stuff that's been written about her over the years.

Reply #634086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Andrew you're not the only one to meet him. He was a rude, abrasive and arrogant to me and many others. One major sponsor who I know walked due to it.

Reply #634087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Marvin ran the league for years with Perth interests at the forefront. Perth have been outstanding over a long period of time and now he's lost that powerbase he's walked. CYA."

Very well said.

Reply #634088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not sure Mother Teresa is a great example... There is a hell of a lot of critical stuff that's been written about her over the years."

Actually a perfect example. People who don't scratch the surface think both are great, but if you dig beneath both there are a lot of question marks.

Reply #634089 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

"Not sure Mother Teresa is a great example... There is a hell of a lot of critical stuff that's been written about her over the years."

Actually a perfect example. People who don't scratch the surface think both are great, but if you dig beneath both there are a lot of question marks.

Uhh very true that. I never thought anything much about her other than what the media was feeding me until I ran across a book with an interesting title... The Missionary Position. Like they said, always two sides to a story and truth always somewhere in the middle I suppose.

Reply #634094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Andrew the Gullible. Your opinion based on one meeting with a dad and a kid is important to the discussion. Thanks for contributing.

Reply #634098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And as usual the Hoops dickheads run off foaming at the mouth.

Reply #634101 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Hoops dickheads are flogs!!

Reply #634103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Marvin run the league with Perths interest at the forefront?

If he was upset about losing his power base, why didn't he walk away two years ago?
It would appear he and the Cats have thrived just as much as anyone, if not more, since Kestelman took over so that sort of claim is preposterous.

Reply #634106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/outgoing-perth-wildcats-boss-nick-marvin-seeks-new-challenge-after-11-years-with-nbl-club/news-story/62a807eb5c84dc013a7ae75578c22e44

Reply #634107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A news article about an NBL exec leaving,you usually don't see that. Such an attention seeker and all about him. Cringeworthy.

Reply #634111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tall poppies...

Reply #634112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is so arrogant

Reply #634113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep trolling

Reply #634114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually perthnow.com is always quite good about reporting any wildcats news largely due to Chris Robinson. It makes a difference when a reporter ia actually interested in basketball at a national/local level

Reply #634115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Reply #634116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please nobody in Perth cares about basketball. Nick himself decided to write and publish that article. /s

Reply #634117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, look at the picture. Matty Knight is in the background. Nick must have got him out of bed at midnight, made him put this warmups on, then get to the Arena to stage the picture. This just further proves that Marvin has no concern for his health and wellbeing. He is so arrogant.

Reply #634118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's sad a few posters on here try to make sarcastic comments to somehow negate the legitimate comments that he is arrogant. Keep trying but the truth is the truth.

Reply #634119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, its sad that people come here to keep saying he is arrogant and self-centred without a shred of evidence.

Reply #634120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said I've had direct dealings with him as a member and know a sponsor who had a similar issue. Also many others on here are saying the same thing. Keep on disregarding though since it obviously doesn't match your opinion.

Reply #634122 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

This thread has become an anon frenzy!!! Not much to troll perth about recently so they have all come out in force for this one.

I haven't agreed with his methods always but hes been a great administrator for this club and i am thankful he was in the NBL for as long as he was.

I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

Reply #634123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Views you disagree with aren't trolls.

Reply #634125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive also had dealings with him and found him to be the complete opposite of arrogant. He is very humble.

The people saying "its all about him" or "he takes all the credit" are just full of shit.

Reply #634127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I haven't agreed with his methods, but hes been a great administrator for this club "

So his methods are bad and he's a great administrator. The most contradictory statement this year.

Reply #634135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's only below JvG on the all-time list of execs in terms of how they thought they knew it all without a background in the sport.

Reply #634141 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

JVG is a former NBL assistant coach with Geelong prior to getting into management.

Reply #634144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He weaseled into that one too.

Reply #634147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, terrible exec. Four titles in 8 years, his club has 10,000 members...he really should have walked away sooner.

Reply #634148 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

How did JVG weasel himself into that role? I'm guessing as he was early to mid 20s at the time and that there wasn't much money at the club he probably just did the role for free/peanuts?

Often that's the path people have to take to get into professional basketball.

Reply #634150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listen to all you tough retards behind a keyboard. Marvin is as humble as pie and has done wonders for basketball in WA.

With the high turnover at the other shambles of NBL clubs Marvin and the wildcats recruit and retain high character people. This is highlighted by the massive community work that is required by the wildcats staff.

Speaking as someone in WA who isn't that fond of the cats brand and basketball style you cannot fault the behind the scenes management.

Pretty sure Marvin volunteered at local clubs when he first took the job to learn as much as he could about basketball to help him get up to speed.

Reply #634151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure he will get a knighthood ;)

Reply #634152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG got to admit can talk. No bball background yet an assistant at one stage, lol. Also his last role before Kings was at an NRL club. He's "good".

Marvin is not humble, are people just making things up now to troll? Also place Marvin in any other NBL club and the same success doesn't occur.

People seem to forget Wildcats had to move away from CBD when the Perth Entertainment Centre was closed down, going back to a random suburb in a smaller stadium where demand outstripped supply. He gets in before the move to a 3x capacity return to CBD down the track. Right time, right place.

His legacy will be serving as de factor NBL head, and using that to self-serve his club. The highlight being he was AGAINST LK's $10mil until everyone else told him to pull his head in as he had gone one step too far. LOL @ saying no to $10mil for a strugging league!

Reply #634167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

de facto*

Reply #634168 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

a random suburb in a smaller stadium where demand outstripped supply.
Then how do you explain all the empty seats?

Reply #634171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"are people just making things up now to troll? "

Apparently, yes!

"His legacy will be serving as de factor NBL head, and using that to self-serve his club. The highlight being he was AGAINST LK's $10mil until everyone else told him to pull his head in as he had gone one step too far. LOL @ saying no to $10mil for a strugging league!"

Reply #634172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He gets in before the move to a 3x capacity return to CBD down the track. Right time, right place."

He joined the Cats as CEO in 2006, and the Arena opened in 2012. Thats quite the long game.

Reply #634173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Then how do you explain all the empty seats?"

Most games were full. Quit smoking.

Reply #634176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He joined the Cats as CEO in 2006, and the Arena opened in 2012. Thats quite the long game."

No sh_t, Sherlock. Arena was delayed by two-three years. The point remains - he got to move back to the CBD, 3x capacity.

Reply #634177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Apparently, yes!"

Another troll. At first he turned down the $10mil capital investment by LK. That is a fact, because his club were doing well he thought f*ck the rest until he was told good luck playing in a league against hardly any other teams.

Reply #634178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing what a great administrator can do with an owner how will lose millions because of his love for the club.

Reply #634179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF @ saying there were empty seats at Challenge.

As a member during every Challenge season under Bendat/Marvin years there was only one game which had what you would call a considerable amount of empty seats - the game that was moved back from the country due to cancellation - quickly scheduled to a random Thursday. Other than that every game was near capacity.

Reply #634180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Amazing what a great administrator can do with an owner how will lose millions because of his love for the club."

"To win... you must win!"

Reply #634181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Repeating a rumour you read (or made up) two days ago doesn't make something fact.

Reply #634182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It happened two years ago when LK came around.

and funnily enough at the time it was mentioned on here.

Denying something you don't like being said by calling it a rumour doesn't make it a fact.

Reply #634184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How childish.

Reply #634185 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

are people just making things up now to troll?

It would appear so, yes. On both sides. Yourself included.

Reply #634197 | Report this post

HiNRG  
Years ago

There is so much hate on here. Some people like Marvin, some people don't. I have had differing opinions with him many times however I know for a fact what he has done with the Wildcats is nothing short of exceptional. He is a very confident and calculating man, does that make him arrogant? I don't think so but that is up to your opinion.
On court, he has taken the Wildcats from a fringe top 6 team to a team that is deemed failed if they don't win the title. There is a core group of players year in, year out; that is very good management in this league.
Off court, he has taken the Wildcats head office from 5 staff to about 25 staff. Before they were merely a sports team working out of the back of the old Perry Lakes. Now they are a Sports Organization which a purpose-built Training Facilty as well as the Perth Arena. Memberships have gone from 4,000 to 10,000. The club was in constant debt previously, now they are running great profits every year.
The Wildcats are the best club in Australia on and off the court and all you Hoopers can hate on him as much as you like but reality is he can take most of the credit for that.

Reply #634199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly the talk of Marvin not wanting LK involved is true. I for one mentioned it at the time. After that Marvin's involvement was as a club member who voted. The rest of the LK involvement speaks for itself.

Reply #634200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also said something two years ago. Certainly that makes whatever I said true too

Reply #634201 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Marvin's opposition to the LK deal was understandable at the time.

a) LK was the owner of United. The concern is self-explanatory, though so far unfounded.

b) The Wildcats had the biggest and most valuable brand in the NBL. They had more to lose, I think that year they made $1m profit. Its easy to criticise Marvin but his #1 responsibility was to the Wildcats. All other teams had much less to lose hence were happy to take that gamble.

In hindsight, Marvin's position was unfounded but put anyone in that position I think they'd have the same concerns.

Reply #634202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK unlike Marvin actually separated himself from Melb Utd for the good of everyone. Unlike Marvin.

Only once $1mil profit per year was at risk because there wouldn't be enough teams left for a healthy league he yielded. That is his legacy.

Also Wildcats transformation was due to Bendat money. Easy to do if your owner has the funds to do so, which every other club CEO never had the benefit of.

Reply #634203 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Then how do you explain all the empty seats?"

Most games were full. Quit smoking.
Over the entire Challenge Stadium run? No.

In the later years, most were almost full, yes. Usually a few spare seats here or there, but may have been members not in attendance. I do remember the semi final in 2012 barely half-filling the building though.

But in 2003, 2004? Plenty of spare seats.

As a member during every Challenge season under Bendat/Marvin years there was only one game which had what you would call a considerable amount of empty seats - the game that was moved back from the country due to cancellation - quickly scheduled to a random Thursday.
Nobody specified that we were only referring to the Bendat/Marvin era - if demand outstripped supply because of the move to Challenge it would have predated them. If it outstripped supply after they were on board it's absurd not to give them any credit.

And I'll refer again to the semi final cited above.

The Wildcats are the best club in Australia on and off the court and all you Hoopers can hate on him as much as you like but reality is he can take most of the credit for that.
I'm not sure about 'most'. There's no way they succeed as much as they have in a universe where Perth Arena doesn't happen.

You don't have the sort of success the Wildcats have had unless you're both very good and very lucky. It seems most in this thread are determined to argue that it was exclusively one or the other.

Reply #634204 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Only once $1mil profit per year was at risk because there wouldn't be enough teams left for a healthy league he yielded. That is his legacy.
The context makes it seem like you intended for this to be a criticism.

Reply #634205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm not sure about 'most'. There's no way they succeed as much as they have in a universe where Perth Arena doesn't happen."

Yay finally someone gets it!

Reply #634206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please explain how criticism is justified over him agreeing to the LK deal?
"oh but he hesitated! he thought about it! shame on him for backing it after consideration instead of just backing it blindly out of desperation!" seriously ... smh ...

Reply #634207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"LK unlike Marvin actually separated himself from Melb Utd for the good of everyone. Unlike Marvin."

bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply #634208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess that is like Donald Trump saying he is no longer involved in the Trump Organisation.

Reply #634209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK gave NBL $10mil of capital yet look at the hate. Same trolls who think Marvin was a messiah. WTF

Reply #634210 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

"LK unlike Marvin actually separated himself from Melb Utd for the good of everyone. Unlike Marvin."

LK was angling to own the league, Marvin was not.
Furthermore, I have not seen evidence that LK has separated himself from UTD. Wiki still has him as the owner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_United

In fact LK's own website STILL has the UTD under his umbrella still.

http://lkg.com.au/companies.html

"Also Wildcats transformation was due to Bendat money."

Bendat money is a part of the equation but you can have big money but does does not automatically equate to success. Blindly pumping money into an ongoing concern without a strategy is doomed to fail. Example Eddy Groves and the Bullets.

"Easy to do if your owner has the funds to do so, which every other club CEO never had the benefit of."

Umm...James Spencely? LK? AEG Ogden?

Reply #634215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce, were just taking notes at the NBL board meetings or were you under the table offering wristies?

Reply #634216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Err what. Spencely AEG LK etc. have only been in ownership for a few years. No one has had the benefit of long-term $$$$ ownership of Bendat which is now in its 13th year. Eddie Groves also didn't own his club for that long. Most benefactors in NBL only last a short period, Bendat the only one over a decade now. Long term sugar daddy + new arena = success.

Reply #634220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think it was Groves' money!

Reply #634228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course I don't, we all know it was money he stole from ABC Learning, which was mum and dad investor money.

Reply #634233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#GLEESON4CEOMD

Reply #634244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK owns the League for the moment. Nick is still a dick. Same, same.

Reply #634246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick the Dick said "Let's try to get four championships in the next four years. I think any other mindset is unacceptable."

Reply #634248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm not sure about 'most'. There's no way they succeed as much as they have in a universe where Perth Arena doesn't happen."

What a dumbass comment, and of course shows you know absolutely nothing about what Marvin as done at the Wildcats.

Melbourne has 3 times the population of Perth, and as had continuous access to bigger venues, yet they still suck.

Venues and money have done absolutely nothing for other teams.

What you should be asking is how Marvin managed to triple Perth membership almost immediately when moving to the Arena, and how has he continued to grow the membership despite Perth's declining population and money.

Reply #634366 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Perth sporting dollar supports only 1 AFL team and 1 stadium, while Melb's supports 9 AFL teams and associated venues.?

need to think a bit more broadly my friend when you talk about degrees of difficulty between perth and melb in getting to the corporate and public sporting dollar.

in respect of gaining memberships with a shift to a central location, check how that worked in the past with both Sydney and Brisbane. A move in/out of a CBD transport hub in a one horse town, always affects the game membership take up. Always.

Reply #634369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Very Old, hardly any competition for the sporting dollar in Perth. Like it was said before - right time, right place.

Reply #634370 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Very Old.

I see....there's only one AFL team in the Perth metro area.

OK then.

Also think about why the NBL shifted away from Winter. Perhaps using AFL as a competitor to NBL may not be valid?

Reply #634376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to keep our views creditable with facts that are correct.

Perth's population has not decreased in Marvin's time. May have lost a few FIFO bogans, but basketball is too cerebral for them.

Perth has two AFL teams and have had for about 20 years.

Perth has the same competition for sporting dollars as any city. Hardly any corporate head offices of national companies and most local companies are relatively small. Same number of sports played in Perth as any other city. A good percentage of Perth dollars are from mining. What would a mining company gain from sponsoring WA sporting teams when they market their product internationally?

Reply #634377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the decline in memberships is over yet either. Leaving at the peak is always a clever move.

Reply #634381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't think the decline in memberships is over yet either."

The decline in memberships hasn't even started. They got record members last season.

Are you predicting that number will one day come down? Wow, what a genius!!

Reply #634383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne - 9 AFL clubs
Sydney - 9 NRL clubs
Perth - 2 AFL clubs

/thread

Reply #634408 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Melbourne - 9 AFL clubs
Sydney - 9 NRL clubs
Perth - 2 AFL clubs

Don't forget to throw on an additional A-League team for Melbourne and Sydney on top of what Perth have as well as an NRL team for Mexico and two AFL teams for Sydney...

Reply #634415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee correct, but no doubt someone will counter that with some sort of stupid argument that it doesn't matter.

Reply #634420 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth has the same competition for sporting dollars as any city.
Victoria
AFL - 10
NRL - 1
Super Rugby - 0.5
A-League - 2
BBL - 2

NSW
AFL - 2
NRL - 10
Super Rugby - 1
A-League - 4
BBL - 2

WA
AFL - 2
NRL - 0
Super Rugby - 0.5
A-League - 1
BBL - 2

Totals: Victoria 15.5, NSW 19, WA 5.5.

Same number of sports played in Perth as any other city.
Does the NRL have expansion plans I'm not aware of? Will they be enacted utilising time travel?

What would a mining company gain from sponsoring WA sporting teams when they market their product internationally?
Nothing, obviously.

Reply #634422 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NRL team for Mexico
Hell of a road trip.

Reply #634423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good table of team numbers, kr.

Reply #634424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I blame Nick Marvin for not having more sporting teams in WA!

Reply #634425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All sports at all levels compete for sponsorship dollars.
WA has less than 11% of the national population.

Reply #634426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep if KRs numbers of teams is correct then
nsw pop 7.8m
vic pop 6.1m
wa pop 2.6m

so divided by no of professional teams
then
nsw has 410k population per team
vic has 390k
wa has 470k

so that is balanced way of looking at it. Certainly Sydney and Melbourne have the arenas the size to match Perth's for basketball if they could get the crowds there.

Reply #634428 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Two BBL teams in WA?

Reply #634429 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Typo.

Reply #634430 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

2nd team would flop in WA ....Wildcats own this city basketball wise.

Reply #634432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So in Perth each team theoretically gets more of a proportion of population share. Just as I thought.

Reply #634433 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Using state populations will skew any results like that, so I don't really see the point*?

* - which is of course Nick Marvin's evil master plan!

Reply #634438 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

2nd team would flop in WA ....Wildcats own this city basketball wise.
Who mentioned a second team?

yep if KRs numbers of teams is correct then
It isn't, I accidentally gave WA one too many BBL teams. So the number of people per team would be higher for WA than that math, which already has it significantly higher than the other two states.

Reply #634439 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Using state populations will skew any results
In what way?

Reply #634440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

presumably because people who live in Broome probably have more in common with Cairns than Perth. populations of the respective cities would be a much more meaningful comparison.

Reply #634441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"presumably because people who live in Broome probably have more in common with Cairns than Perth"

bwahahahahahaah good one. made my day

Reply #634442 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The anon is correct (look, a pig is flying by my window!)

Reply #634443 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Roflcopter said something funny!

Reply #634446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop being anonist!

Reply #634448 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

lol, nice once bear.

Bear is a flog!!

Reply #634449 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

OK so NSW have 410k population / team and WA has 520k / team (adjusted the the 2 BBL typo).

The Kings have 1500 members (source:called the Kings office).
The Wildcats have 10,000.

1500 / 410 = 3.65 / 1 thousand apportioned population.

10,000 / 520 = 19.2 / 1 thousand apportioned population.

Why do the Wildcats attract 5 times more as a proportion as the Kings?

Reply #634452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More things to do in Sydney. I live in Perth and it's hell boring :(

Reply #634453 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Duh? How do you even ask that?

The Kings stunk. Folded. Reformed. Still stink.

Wildcats have had sustained success over 31 years.

Sydney people aren't pre-occupied with any other state and don't have an inferiority complex.

Perth people are obsessed with the east coast and do have an inferiority complex.

Reply #634455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth people are obsessed with the east coast and do have an inferiority complex."

hahahahahahaha what? Perth people couldn't give a shit what happens over east.

"Sydney people aren't pre-occupied with any other state"

Sydney people are in a perpetual war with Victorians about which state is better, which has the more liveable capital city, which one calls the random food item the right name etc.

Reply #634458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
thats why Canberra exists!

Reply #634459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth people are obsessed with the west coast and have a superiority complex - and rightly so!!

Reply #634466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"hahahahahahaha what? Perth people couldn't give a shit what happens over east."

Yes they do. Born and raised in Perth. Everyone has a complex about the east and how they don't even know we exist.

Reply #634468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm Perth born and raised too and I dont have a complex about anything over east. Definitely no obsession.

Reply #634471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh well that disproves everything then... lol

Reply #634472 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I spend months of the year in WA and specifically Perth and I can assure you that there is a massive complex about the east.

Reply #634473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

said complex includes denial of it

Reply #634477 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

lol

+1

Reply #634478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the Perth fans. Memberships go up by 1/3 and everyone loves it.

Reply #634486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra exists only to take GST (sponsorship money) from WA and give it to the weak eastern states.
WA should leave the Commonwealth as common wealth only applies to how much WA gives to the weak states.

Reply #634487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Perth is clearly fiscally responsible. Please secede.

Reply #634488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"WA should leave the Commonwealth"

Bye bye feral Wildcats from NBL then.

Reply #634489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Love the Perth fans. Memberships go up by 1/3 and everyone loves it."
you must be talking about membership numbers since membership prices haven't changed for a couple of years. yes having more members is a good thing so of course everyone loves it. why wouldn't they?

Reply #634490 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"WA should leave the Commonwealth"

When you go, can you please take Trevor Gleeson with you?

Reply #634491 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

LOL

Now that the resource boom is over, WA is stuffed. Might not want to seek independence so fast.

They sure did run an impressive scare campaign to oust Barnett....looks like some of you muppets believe what politicians tell you. Haha

Reply #634501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth Wildcats managing director Nick Marvin has conceded the club has put its ability to attract new fans "at risk" by raising membership prices up to 31 per cent. Prices for new memberships for the 2015-16 season will increase between 11 and 31 per cent for those buying tickets in the silver, gold, platinum or captain's club categories."

Reply #634503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^what is your point? The cost of renewing your membership hasn't changed for the last three seasons, meaning they are looking after the existing 10,000 members ahead of potential members.

Reply #634505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find it is only 2 seasons.

Reply #634506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have paid the same price for the past three seasons.

Reply #634508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep that's what the quote says.

Reply #634510 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This thread is going in all kinds of wonderful directions, huh.
Yes, Perth's model in recent years has been to freeze the prices of membership renewals, and keep them significantly lower than the price of new memberships. Note that significantly lower does not equal low. Significantly less huge is probably better phrasing. Either way, 10k members is damn impressive. I didn't think they would reach it.

If Perth secedes, I just need to know if South Perth is going to join them. If a trip on the ferry is going to become an international journey then that will be a handy way to pick up some duty free booze. On the other hand if it's the whole Perth metro area seceding then meh ... whatever.

Reply #634511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROFLcopter, we're not stuffed yet. Ore prices to rise again but this won't help sponsorship dollars.
If Barnett hadn't smoked Howard, Abbott and Turncoat WA would have a lot of money, certainly enough to secede.

Reply #634512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give ore take its not about the or any more.

Reply #634568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754