Sixers Fan
Years ago

Josh Childress NBL Return

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.aussiehoopla.com/josh-childress-hopes-to-return-to-the-nbl-despite-teams-saying-he-is-too-old/amp/

Which teams do you see making a play for him? Would still be a gun at this level, the question is would he be able to stay on the court? With his injury history I might be persuaded to stay away.

Topic #41216 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone on another thread said he may be coming back with United, yet everyone ridiculed it. Watch this space.

Reply #634161 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'd love to see Childress back in the NBL, it was a bit like watching Scottie Pippen in the NBA he could just do it all at such a high level.

I've never seen a better all-round player in the NBL but ideally I'd rather he not come back to play for Melb. They seem to be going down the piss taking route of past Bullets team by stacking the hell out of their team if some of the rumours prove to be true.

It would be great to see such a talent as Childress back in the NBL either way.

Reply #634188 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Josh has a very savvy business mind. IMO he's trying drive up interest for his services. He would be well aware of the impending situation in the import market.

33 is not that old, especially for those that maintain their fitness as he does. His skills are still at an elite level for his size.

The only thing that may be of concern to teams would be his asking price and the pace he plays the game at. He throws himself around so hard, team physicians would be wincing every time he drives full tilt into a packed paint.

You could minimize that by limiting his minutes but if you are paying big $$$, that may not be feasible. Hope to see him back though if someone willing to take the risk.

Reply #634193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might not be a franchise player but he is a known quantity in this league and very good. If his asking price is not ridiculous and he is down with playing here then someone will snap him up surely.

Reply #634195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect half a season per season out of him.

Reply #634196 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Expect half a season per season out of him.

A lot better than most of the Kings imports over a full compliment of games last season... Unless he was asking half the cap, I'd be snapping him up very quickly...

Agree though that it would be more ideal if he could stop throwing himself around so much... His enthusiasm is fantastic, but still, some of those Japan highlights had me watching through my fingers at times, waiting for him to hurt himself...

Would still back him over nearly every other import in the league last season and with a stronger Kings team to play on, he won't need to play 30-36mpg, which can only be a positive long term... He contributes across the board and fills some gaps the Kings need...

Reply #634222 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Kings aren't interested in him.

Reply #634227 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Well at least United would gain a slashing rebounder at the 3 spot. Everyone knows we suck at getting boards.

Reply #634229 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He'd be a very nice fit at Melbourne backing up Moller

Reply #634230 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

What do you think Moller's ceiling is?

Some don't like his game at all. Others can see promise.

Reply #634234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mollers seabl form has been outstanding, Gaze wanted to keep him, played very well for kings last season when presented a chance. Will be interesting to see how Vickerman uses him.

Reply #634236 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Kings aren't interested in him.

Surely they're not that stupid? Your hot and spicey sauce would be?

Reply #634237 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

LOL Luuuc you troll.

Moller only 22, plenty of years ahead where he may blossom into a premier two-way SF/PF, maybe a larger and longer Newley.

some of those Japan highlights had me watching through my fingers at times

You know, Japanese league is pretty tame in terms of physical play. If you were that worried about him there, what about here mate?

What did we have last season? Broken jaw, broken foot, blood pouring out of the side of the head, concussion, clothesline tackle, a few headlocks and oh yeah, a gouged eye ball. Nothing to worry about. :)

Reply #634238 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

A smart club would be able to structure a contract that would mitigate against how injury prone he's likely to be.

Reply #634240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A smart club wouldn't hire him. Matt.

Reply #634249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most NBL clubs are dumb :p

Reply #634252 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He is an elite rebounder which most teams need, he is a hell of a slashing scorer and he isn't as foul prone as other imports that we've seen but in terms of the crop of imports last season I think only Prather and Craig would have challenged Childress for best SF import. The Cairns duo, Harris, Ferguson and Carter were lucky that Childress wasn't here as he'd have schooled them.

I'd love to see him in the league again and sadly it's the region teams that could most benefit from his services but can't afford his price tag.

His injury status doesn't worry me as last season proved how ruthless teams got in the second half of the season with imports and if he starts a season and gets injured around Christmas and replaced in January then I think he's paid for himself if he's got you both wins and public attention which I think he will bring.

I wouldn't hate seeing him play for the Wildcats but I have a feeling that Jaron Johnson may get asked back with Prather unlikely to return

Reply #634254 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

A smart club would be able to structure a contract that would mitigate against how injury prone he's likely to be.

I think the AAA Charter of Athletes' Rights adopted by ABA is going to severely limit how you can structure that contract plus he'll likely won't come to terms unless he is desperate, which I don't he is yet at this stage of his career.

Reply #634266 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Lol yeah, it's a pretty tame league here Steve... Although I meant more how he at times very recklessly throws himself about and lands badly... not really anything to do with anyone else other than himself...

Agree wuth above that even if he lasts the first half of the season, he'd be worth his money in wins and especially on a team like his beloved *cough* Kings who could start with only two imports possibly...

Reply #634284 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

At Perth with jesse wagstaff? AWWWKKWAAARRDDD...

Reply #634339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud: Johnson isn't going to be back with the cats you can bet your life on that. Don't stress!

Reply #634340 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Winning would make Josh less grumpy ......come to the Cats - winners are grinners.

Reply #634353 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

on a team like his beloved *cough* Kings who could start with only two imports possibly...

There's the possibility that quite a few teams will go back to running with two quality imports as opposed to three. Last season was probably a test to see if having three was going to have a major impact, and I can't even say for sure that it had, unless you're the Wildcats or the Dillard Breakers.

Cairns' 3 imports weren't all that spectacular, Bullets ran with two, Sydney's 3rd import didn't have much impact nor Melbourne's, Hollyfield didn't get much mileage in Illawarra and vice versa. While great for exposing the league as an alternative pathway for US high schoolers, Ferguson was a bit disappointing impact-wise. Teams may save a few $$ going with locals instead.

Wookiee, I wouldn't be surprised if Childress gets picked up by United or Cats, particularly if Prather doesn't return. Both teams need star SF for their rosters (I'm assuming Boone has been re-signed), and honestly, only those two would be able to afford him. Sydney probably can, but I don't think he is what the Kings need with Newley and Blanchfield there.

You can pretend he is a stretch four, but he will have difficulty if he's switched onto opposing center or large PF like Daniel Johnson. Kings' primary need right now is an import center that can do it all and those don't come cheap.

The import market for good center and big stretch four isn't really flush with options either. I'm hedging that they have their eyes on someone like Keith Benson. They're probably hoping he doesn't get picked up by an NBA team after the summer leagues, and he's going to cost more than a pretty penny.

Reply #634364 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

Good Player, good for the league, would love to see him back. But propensity for injury is a worry. You'd want to have a good backup plan.

Reply #634367 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

The moment when he dropped Wagstaff was epic.

I was in Perth working so luckily made it to the game. Oh the boo'ing and carry on afterwards made for a good laugh. Got the league plenty of exposure in the US too.

Good times.

Reply #634393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see anyone paying the money he commands at his age, great player, great person, great team man but I just don't see it happening.

Reply #634397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would love him at the hawks.

Reply #634401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I was in Perth working so luckily made it to the game."

How bogan was it?

Reply #634411 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

"How bogan was it?"

Unsure where you live but equally as bad, if not worse, than the Adelaide Crows or Power supporters.

Feral bogans....but ace fun nonetheless.

I went and saw the Mavs play in Dallas and that was pretty bogan too compared to the Knicks, Warriors, Heat, Wizards...so I don't think it's just a Perth thing. Easily the most bogan of all NBL franchises though.

Reply #634414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:O in the post-crocs era or even including them?

Reply #634416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Unsure where you live"

Perth. :)

I know what you mean re: USA differences. The south reminds me of Aus, with the north being more civilised.

Scientific studies have shown climate effects human behaviour, the colder climate is the more reserved people are. You don't see that in Aus as even as a whole we have a temperate winter.

Reply #634418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been to Lakers, Knicks and Heat. Didn't bother with the south over there as get enough of it here at home.

Reply #634419 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Josh Childress is playing in Ice Cube's Big3 league during the off-season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706914-big3-basketball-league-2017-draft-results-and-full-team-rosters

Reply #634663 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754