Isaac
Years ago

Blake Griffin and the Clippers' future

For the second straight year, Blake Griffin is injured in the first round and done for the season. How does the future of the Clippers look now?

Saw some suggestion (quote below) that Griffin doesn't really fit a CP3/DAJ core and both the Clippers and Blake might be best off apart. What do you think?

He's a redundant piece for a team predicated on the Chris Paul-DeAndre Jordan pick-and-roll. You don’t need another ball-dominant superstar who does his best work inside the 3-point line (although yes, Griffin can knock down a few triples here and there). What you need are wings who can defend and space the floor, giving Paul and Jordan maximum room to operate.

Topic #41217 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clips are cursed with these key injuries season after season. I feel for them.

Reply #634169 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I wish I was as redundant as Griffin.

Reply #634175 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Depending on their result, CP3 might not hang around anyway..he'll get more money in LA but might have more chance of success elsewhere?

Reply #634183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely if you're CP3, you stay with a solid owner and another couple of decent pieces and see what they might do if they do replace Blake?

Reply #634186 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

The Knicks will be splashing the cash once Melo leaves.

But will Phil want Blake and will Blake want to be restricted by the shuffle?

Reply #634190 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think they should trade Griffin. He just can't stay healthy and he's the only real tradeable piece the Clips have. Plus its very hard in the era of Lebron and Durant and Giannis to play a traditional PF who doesn't defend the rim.

If the Clips made the conference finals, what do they do when the Warriors play Durant at the 4? Blake can't play centre because it would be layup city for the Warriors. So he has to play the 4 and matchup on Durant and he'll get destroyed.

So yes, if you want to stick with CP3 and Deandre, trade Griffin this off-season for some help on the wing.

Alternatively, I'd like to see CP3 sign with the Spurs to see if he can get a title that way!

Reply #634232 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If Utah wins this series I can't see the Clippers staying together.
I think CP3 wants to play with some of his buddies, ie Lebron, Melo or Wade.

There is a chance that the Clips will try to get Melo to keep Paul in town, maybe a 3 way trade as I can't see Griffin fitting in NY.

But in the end the Clips need to make some big changes if they want to get further in the playoffs.
This group is not working out and they seem to love Doc so a coaching change isn't coming.

Watching this series the Clips come across as a bunch of whinging actors, they exaggerate every little contact and they complain to the refs after every single call.
Even if it blatantly obvious they were in the wrong.

I have been watching a lot of playoff games this year and it makes you wonder if teams will start hiring acting coaches for the players.
Because it is being rewarded and giving some teams a big advantage.

Reply #634243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bean, they can't trade him because he'll be a free agent.

Reply #634263 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

You're right Isaac, I didn't realise next season is a player option for Blake. Tough situation for the Clippers. I'd say Griffin will opt out and want a max contract. So do the Clippers tie up a huge amount of money in a guy who has only played more than 67 regular seasons in 3 of his 7 seasons and hasn't been healthy in the playoffs for the last two?

I wouldn't want to do that, but letting Griffin go as a free agent would be a tough sell to the fan-base! Unless Blake says he wants to leave, I think they'll have to max him out, hope he plays great ball in the first half of next season and then trade him for some decent parts.

Reply #634267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754