Isaac
Years ago

Joe Ingles vs LA Clippers, Game 4

8 points, 6 rebounds and 11 assists. Career high in assists and first 10+ playoff assist game by an Australian. He had two big threes in crunch time as well.

Joe Johnson led a charge to take the Jazz from down 80-87 in the fourth to win 105-98.

Joe Johnson (28 points, 5 assists) scoring or assisting on 16 of last 17 points.

As someone on Twitter said, it was the JOE SHOW.

Topic #41218 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't follow the NBA much anymore but I read an article after Game 2 or 3 that Ingles is a restricted free agent after the season and he can expect a big pay rise.

Great to hear and see I never in a million years would've thought his game could translate to the NBA I thought he even did well just to get that training camp invite from the Clippers but he's gone from strength to strength with Utah.

Reply #634187 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I agree, Zodiac. I never expected him to be up to that level, and said so on this forum enough times.

I'm very happy to say I was wrong. He may not be quick enough to guard the elite players but he more than makes up for it in so many ways, as shown by the minutes he plays and his coach's confidence.

Go Joe!

Reply #634189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When he was signed by the Jazz at the time everybody was saying he was done so to be an Aussie companion to Exum. How things have changed.

Reply #634191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly Mode!

Reply #634194 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And to break in relatively late in his career too. He is really starting to get noticed now by a variety of NBA pundits.

Reply #634213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie, Lebron not elite enough......

Zodiac.... Ever watch him play against the USA at the Olympics when he was only 20.... Maybe the only Aussie I thought had the most amount of natural skill and height to have a long successful NBA career since he burst onto the NBL scene.

Reply #634218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not quick enough to guard the elite players"
He's currently their top perimeter defender on the wing, hell they've even been putting him on Chris Paul during the series, especially during crunch time.

Now who would've thought Joe Ingles would be the choice lockdown defender for a top defensive team in the NBA?

Reply #634219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can remember Ingles NBL debut. Dragons @ Kings in Canberra. Shot the record points for a rookie in debut game. Many seem to forget.

Reply #634221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re-reading Ingles entry on Wiki:

"Ingles' two basketball goals as a boy were to play for the Adelaide 36ers and Australia. He was highly sought after when he came out of the AIS in 2006, and he subsequently met with the 36ers as a 17-year-old, but a couple of Adelaide blunders set him off interstate. Ingles said of the situation, "The minimum salary at the time was $20-$22,000 and while money wasn't a primary concern for me, they offered me a two-year deal at $12,500 per, plus two season tickets." Ingles had several other contract bids to consider, all offering at least the minimum and many of them providing additional incentives. His decision to not sign with the 36ers came when his contract from the club arrived with his name misspelt. It did not leave a glowing impression on Ingles or his family, so he moved his attention to Melbourne."

Oh my Sixers! Oh me oh my!

Reply #634223 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This is not at all a knock on Joe, who I am immensely happy for after grinding away for so many years and finally seeing some rewards for it, but they sure are liberal with what qualifies as an assist in the NBA.

Reply #634224 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

First double figure assists game for the Jazz this season. No one else from Utah has topped 8 assists in 2016/17.

'223, that quote neglects the final nail which was that they (I think the non-basketball GM) listed him as a centre.

Meanwhile, the Dragons were throwing around signing bonuses that matched what some players were getting offered outright!

Reply #634225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"223, that quote neglects the final nail which was that they (I think the non-basketball GM) listed him as a centre."

Haha oh me oh my!

Also if Sixers were offering less than league minimum of $20K to $22K (in this case Ingles only offered $12.5K) isn't that against league rules?

Reply #634231 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

They offered Ingles less than league minimum as he wasn't even offered a spot in the ten, more of a DP role.

This was following on from the Sixers missing out on rookie of the year Newley only a year or two before. It was all part of a long tenured coach's last few years which saw dwindling results as he wasn't able to transition from winning with a veteran team to regenerating the team around youth. It was a tough environment with management at the time and it was some dark days for the Sixers.

Contrast this with Joey, who won with veterans in Brisbane and has been able to unearth guys like Sobey and sign local college returnee Deng when the relative budget wasn't so high compared to the league.

Reply #634239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Voldemort.

Reply #634241 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, great game today by Joe. He made a lot of great plays for the Jazz including two huge threes late in the game to get them over the line.

Such a great story. Many players would be happy just to make the end of an NBA bench in the latter half of their career, but Joe has come in and carved out an important role for himself on a very good team.

Amazing to think that he is now one of the most reliable three point shooters in the league, is a good defender who uses his length very effectively and he can create shots for others on offence as well - not many '3 and D' guys can do that!

I suspect Joe is going to sign a very big contract this off-season. So big that unfortunately the Jazz probably won't be able to keep him!

Reply #634247 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Wish I was his agent. He's going to get paid big time

Reply #634250 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I like how quietly he goes about it. He even knocked back all star 3 point comp saying let the real stars do it.
He also plays his role beautifully. Never goes for his own stats.
Well done Joe!!

Reply #634255 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Great patience and timing Joe !!

Reply #634259 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

We love Joe!!

Reply #634262 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

He really should consider staying even if it means a 10-15% loss on what he could make elsewhere.

In a few years he can come home and play for Adelaide and maybe stop the Cats getting a 4-peat.

Reply #634271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754