LC
Years ago

WNBL back on TV - 3yr deal with Fox Sports

It's been three years, but the league will return to national television in the coming 2017/18 season, thanks to a new broadcasting partnership with Fox Sports.

WNBL returns to national television in three-year Fox Sports deal

Topic #41223 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Great news :)

Well done, Sally.

Reply #634288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow

Reply #634293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is season shorter now?

Reply #634294 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Shorter season, yes. No details yet about whether that means fewer games or a more compressed schedule. I'm going to guess it's fewer games, since the schedule has been "uneven" for a while now (play some teams 4 times per season, and others only 3 times). Now seems a good time to tidy that up.

Reply #634297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More compressed is the way they are doing it

one game live a week

Reply #634298 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sounds like they are indeed going to even up the schedule

Players welcome WNBL's new three-year broadcast deal with Fox Sports

WNBL and Fox Sports enter three-year broadcast and promotional deal

The WNBL season will be shorter, more intense but still include 21 games per team when the new campaign begins in October.

Reply #634303 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

So glad that these players are finally getting that TV deal they deserve and I'm looking forward to being able to see more teams play! Hopefully there will be some sort of solution for the un-televised games so that we are able to view them too, look even just the footage without the commentary would be enough for me.

Seems a similar structure to past seasons with teams playing twice some weekends, however I do like that it seems that they will be playing each team 3 times instead of the old some 3 and some 4 times format - it certainly will make the standings fairer in the end.

Reply #634305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the earlier finish also gives players some time between SEABL and Euro, WNBA commitments, as it is now its literally finish WNBL one week if your in finals and your straight into SEABL the next.

Reply #634310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes perfect sense. Was ludicrious the premier comp being men's NBL grand final was on before women's grand final!

Reply #634327 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Was ludicrious the premier comp being men's NBL grand final was on before women's grand final!
...what?

Reply #634328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A gentleman lets the ladies go first.

Reply #634331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not the 'premier'comp, its the mens comp and WNBL is the womens, both the highest we have here in Australia, my god you must still be dragging you club behind you whilst your knuckles graze the ground koberulz!!

Reply #634336 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

This is great news now clubs and coaches need to get back to work on ensuring ALL games are an athletic spectacle. The WNBL needs to both sell and promote our game. The 2 years prior to the axing of the ABC coverage many games featured over zealous defensive coaching resulting in low scoring dragged out games. Now I love defense but TV needs hi-action athletic games with both teams in the 80s.

Netball has shown the way with super fit athletes. Basketball has in part become a dribblethon. Yes catch and dribble the third option in the triple threat position?

Some years ago women's basketball dropped the bodysuit. Netball adopted a shorter skirt and Lycra tops. AFL men got shorter and tighter pants. I question some of the old ladies about the change and was told that the girls didn't need to flaunt their bodies.

Lets hope that the Women's game looks to drive into mainstream entertainment and excitement.

Reply #634343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes catch and dribble the third option in the triple threat position?"

correction: dribble the 3rd option from the quadruple threat position.
passing the 4th option.
shooting the 1st option.
and also the 2nd option.
- sami whitcomb

Reply #634345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The WNBL needs to both sell and promote our game. The 2 years prior to the axing of the ABC coverage many games featured over zealous defensive coaching resulting in low scoring dragged out games."

Same problem the NBL has.

Reply #634350 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anonymous #634336

koberulz was questioning the the statement in the preceding post. The indented block of text was to identify the quote from that post. Your criticism should be redirected to that poster.

Reply #634356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies to koberulz my mistake

Reply #634357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree they need to be promoting the league but they also need to be presenting it in a more professional manner . Coaches and coaching staff could take a leaf out of the WNBA and USA college staff dress code ... these club tshirts and leggings worn by many of the female coaches and assistants and jeans and tshirts for the male coaching staff really do need an upgrade
If you wish to be taken seriously as a professional group they need to look like one

Reply #634358 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754