Isaac
Years ago

ESPN Can't Afford to Go On Like This

Story from Bloomberg about the recent ESPN cuts - ESPN Can't Afford to Go On Like This

ESPN has responded by moving away from sports reporting -- most of the 100 people laid off this week were reporters -- and toward opinion, which is usually expressed with an absurd amount of vehemence, given the subject matter. But let's face it: There’s only so much Stephen A. Smith a person can take.

List of those axed here: A Running List of ESPN Layoffs

Some recognisable names including Chad Ford, Ethan Strauss, Marc Stein and Henry Abbott (think he was the guy who gave them TrueHoop?).

Too easy to get NBA highlights from r/NBA. I use ESPN for boxscores and the occasional article, but that's about it these days.

I liked the r/NBA jokes about how ESPN are clearing cap space to go after Woj.

Topic #41241 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also the sports channel market is competitive now.

Once upon a time ESPN had no competition in regards to national sports channels.

Now it is ESPN vs. Fox Sports vs. NBC Sports Network vs. CBS Sports Network. Especially Fox & NBC who have ramped up to become serious competitors.

Therefore rights for everything have gone through the roof.

There will be reconsolidation back down to less national sports networks in future.

This doesn't even include the 3493090 of regional sports networks in the US.

Reply #634674 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Pretty tough on those guys that were let go. Some of them had been at ESPN for 7+ years.

Personally I don't look to ESPN for my opinion pieces. I will go to The Ringer or The Undefeated. Only quality really left now is Zach Lowe and Kevin Arnovitz.

Reply #634675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ESPN are going style over substance. The loudmouths stay yet the real journalists get turfed.

While times were good they did over employ however.

Reply #634680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Welcome to the real world.

Reply #634683 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ESPN are going style over substance. The loudmouths stay yet the real journalists get turfed.
Sadly true, and common in other media. Opinion requires less preparation and research, just personality types with little care for offending or being wrong.

Reply #634697 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Woj will be on big money at ESPN but he doesn't really offer them a whole lot in terms of reporting. I suppose he could come in handy at the draft shows but then he wouldn't be able to break the picks in advance like he always does.

Reply #634728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many personalities at ESPN (despite the cull) yet none are discussed specifically on here except for a reddit hypothetical one.

Reply #634731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure what you're referencing there anon. Woj plays it pretty straight - I don't know that I'd call him a sports personality. Or did you mean someone else?

The Woj signing is apparently going ahead now.

Reply #634735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754