Anonymous
Years ago

Patty Mills should walk from the Spurs

I know Pop has his system for Patty where he wants him to always be bench but Dejounte Murray starting ahead of Patty? I don't get it. A rookie averaging 3pts and 1ast is your starter?

Patty is in his prime, he needs to be getting more time.

Topic #41262 | Report this topic

snooch  
Years ago

Doesn't really matter who starts really. Patty will probably end up playing more minutes overall.

This makes the case pretty well

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spurs-rockets-with-tony-parker-out-rookie-dejounte-murray-could-be-an-x-factor/

Reply #635058 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You don't understand the Spurs. He's not disrespecting or underutilising Patty.

Ginobili started on the bench most of his career for the spurs. Patty is the spark off the bench, murrary might start with parker injured but if parker wasnt injured he wouldn't get much time. Patty would still get his minutes (and more than Murray)

Reply #635076 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Patty was on the floor in crunch time. That's all that matters

Reply #635078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty loves the dribble down and pull-up three, doesn't he? It's like a money shot for him.

Reply #635080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How different are the Spurs going to look next year...

Parker, Ginobli, gasol possinly all gone.

Reply #635081 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Parker, Ginobli, gasol possinly all gone.

I doubt it, Parker is under contract for next season for $15.4 million and said before this season he wants to play another five years and Gasol has a player option for next season for $16.2 million.

Ginobili will be a free-agent though.

Reply #635086 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

This is what papal ways does with injuries. He prefers as many players to stay in their usual roles as possible rather. Rather than disrupt multiple players someone deeper on the bench will generally start.

Reply #635087 | Report this post

Years ago

Pop always adjusts lineup though. Just not with Patty. Go get that money

Reply #635108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think every time Patty has been left on the bench during a Parker injury, there's been a good reason. Earlier in his career, it was that he wasn't much of a playmaker and without Kawhi having developed that side of his game, the starters needed someone who could create more than Patty. He benefited from playing next to Manu in Spurs bench lineups.

Now he has improved, the Spurs have less point guard depth, Kawhi is a capable playmaker in the starting unit, and Manu is, well, old. So the starters can carry Murray, whereas the bench could not.

I actually think Patty has filled either the role that suits him best or that the team most needs, in both situations.

Reply #635114 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Pop loves the energy Patty brings off the bench. Just because he doesn't start isn't an indication of his perceived value to the team by Pop. He had 30 minutes and played when it mattered.

Reply #635191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pop seems to think that Mills is vital in the second unit. Whether Patty sees the positive in that or likes the idea of running his own show and getting the payday for it is another thing. Two good options for him in the off-season - either choice has value.

I'd like to see him go and run a weaker team otherwise he might forever wonder what may have been. But doubt he'd see anything other than huge value in what he's learned from being at the Spurs and playing their system.

We've seen with the Boomers what he's capable of doing in a bigger role.

Reply #635218 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He could also go to a weaker team and be a loser who gets more money and similar minutes in starting position. I know what the smart person does... sticks with the winning team for a little less and similar minutes.

Reply #635320 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754