Anonymous
Years ago

Keogh busted for alleged cocaine possession

Cocain. Haven't got the link. Apologies.
Career over. What was he thinking.

Topic #41263 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He just posted a plea on Facebook for someone to take the rap for him.

Reply #635060 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

C'mon Jeremy, I dare ya to put it front page news on Kings website :D.

Reply #635062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow he was the poster child for post-basketball career success in the corporate world. NBL - it's all fun!

Reply #635063 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Former Olympic basketballer Damian Keogh has stepped aside form his position as chairman of the Cronulla Sharks NRL club after being charged with possessing a prohibited drug.

The club released a statement this morning confirming Keogh would vacate his role to "allow him to address allegations of possession of an illegal substance".

Police confirmed they searched a 55-year-old man at a licenced premises on Bourke Street in Woolloomooloo, an inner-city suburb of Sydney, last night.

"During the search, police allegedly located a small resealable bag containing a quantity of white powder — believed to be cocaine," police said.

"The man was arrested and issued with a field court attendance notice for the offence of possession of prohibited drug."

He is expected to appear before Downing Centre Local Court on Tuesday, June 30.

Keogh is also chief executive of movie giant Hoyts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-06/damian-keogh-cronulla-sharks-ceo-charged-over-drug-possession/8502698

Reply #635064 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Well, it was only a matter of time, I feel for Maree she's too nice a person to have to put up with this.

Reply #635083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please explain VO.

Reply #635091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is he holding down his role as CEO of Hoyts then if according to VO it was a "matter of time"

Reply #635093 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Mainstream TV and radio media (ABC and commercial) didn't even mention basketball when I heard and saw. I didn't aven twig at the mention of the name until I read the post here, so maybe the Kings will hope the bball connection doesn't get air time.

There does appear to be a correlation between popular football codes and drug use. League had 3 players busted over the weekend, and the West Coast Eagles and Andrew Johns dramas are well documented.

It's always been the footy players getting caught in the past though. Seems like their administrators are demonstrating leadership in their line of work (bad pun intended).

Reply #635098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remove very old's post.

Reply #635101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players rarely lose their jobs, but if you're off the field you're done. What a double standard.

Reply #635105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does anyone really care? So he got caught with a small bag of coke? High stress job type I assume, people look for outlets. If he was distributing that'd be a huge story but he isn't so let the man deal with the authorities now and be done with it. Most people have tired coke, personally I haven't but it's something I'd do if the environment was right so can't sit here and be too righteous. Again, unless he had a heap of headphones ready to ship out Haha

Reply #635109 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Most people have [tried] coke
Citation needed.

Reply #635116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I were to go to Work with coke in my system, I'd be fired. Shouldn't he be also?

Stepped down from Nrl chairman but still CEO of Hoyt's group.

Reply #635118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NRL drugged up players however keep their jobs though. Hypocrisy.

Reply #635120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, citation needed? Sorry that's gone over my head, can you explain?

Reply #635122 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

8.1% of Australians aged 14 years and over have used cocaine one or more times in their life.

2.1% of Australians aged 14 years and over have used cocaine in the previous 12 months.

These stats are a few years old, from the 2013 National Drug Strategy Household Survey. That's the most recent such survey (that's been published). Detailed report is on the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare web site (www.aihw.gov.au).

Reply #635124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure these statistics take into account the high percentage of people who would've lied about their usuage and also takes into account the sole reason the percentage isn't higher is because it's deemed a 'rich mans drug' in Australia. These sort of stats are pointless. Think keough would've admitted his usuage for a survey? Exactly not many would.

Reply #635127 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, citation needed? Sorry that's gone over my head, can you explain?
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/citation-needed

also takes into account the sole reason the percentage isn't higher is because it's deemed a 'rich mans drug' in Australia.
So the claim 'most people have tried cocaine' should be treated as true because there's a reason it isn't?

You have an interesting view of reality.

Reply #635128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I it's my opinion. I'm always surprised how many straight laced people I meet who have admitted to having tried it when certain conversation arise. My point is people shouldn't judge keough too harshly it's not that big a thing these days. Bland reply as usual koberulz...

Reply #635129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not that big a thing! Um sir, its fucking illegal. That's a pretty big thing with some big boy pants penalties.

Reply #635131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half of Hoops posters are stoned.

Reply #635132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of things are illegal! He'll be reprimanded and fined etx but it's not a big deal these days. If he was distributing etc that's a whole other massive illegal thing that needs jail time. But this is a small bag for personal use get off your high horse unless you've led the most squeekiest cleanest life known to man... which I'm sure you ducking well haven't. People just live to turn the knife once it's in especially on forums.

Reply #635134 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I it's my opinion.
No, it's a factual statement. You're wrong.

If he was distributing etc that's a whole other massive illegal thing that needs jail time
Why? If something is okay to possess, why would it not be okay to sell it?

Reply #635135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty common these days for sure.

But those who take the drug typically lack development in the front of the brain.
It has been proven in the lab.

Supposably 18% of people have a condition where there decision making process is really skewed. Similar to bi polar disorder.

Reply #635136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah as above anon mentioned my overall point Kobe is it's pretty common. Now it's the off-season I'm not dealing with your righteous shit right now, have had a terrible round of afl tipping. Piss off.

Reply #635137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BUT further to your query about it being worse to frostbite than to consume... ask the laws that be, why consumers get much lighter sentences than the distributors. I guess they are wrong too. You have barked up the wrong tree with your rebuttals on this one. Poor bloke clearly has some issues but he isn't fuckin Narcos now is he. Or no difference in your eyes?

Reply #635138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares about the legal debate. His business career will be over.

Reply #635140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe loves a good debate where he decides it's over when he can claim 'your wrong'. Sad it is his career as such is over due to this, because I'm sure to begin using such a drug there is some issues of personal nature that sadly haven't been dealt with. It's an escape drug like no other, good luck to him.

Reply #635141 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

136 above

I think you're mixing your stats.

You refer to (presumably) pre- frontal or frontal lobe irregularities, bi-polar disorder and "really skewed" decision making.

Frontal and prefrontal love be damage or lack of development will lead to impulsivity and poor impulse control (hence looking like "really skewed decision making"). But bi-polar disorder is a whole other ball game.

Peter John quoted proper stats from a reputable source. If you look at the whole report and associated commentaries, you would find some reference to under-reporting of use and the methodologies of the survey would be explained. Riveting stuff.

Those stats have more validity than anecdotal or hearsay "evidence". Even allowing for 20% under-reporting you can't conclude that most people have used cocaine, although it is now a "mainstream" crime rather than being confined to a criminal underclass.

Reply #635142 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Lobe damage", not "love be" damage.

Reply #635143 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah as above anon mentioned
So we can't cite reputable studies, but you can cite anonymous posts on the internet?

BUT further to your query about it being worse to frostbite than to consume... ask the laws that be, why consumers get much lighter sentences than the distributors.
Punishing distributors more makes sense if you're working on the basis that cocaine should be illegal. It doesn't make sense to claim that using is okay but distributing isn't.

Poor bloke clearly has some issues but he isn't fuckin Narcos now is he. Or no difference in your eyes?
I'd love to see you try and cite the post in which I made a claim even approaching that.

Reply #635145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're a twat Kobe. A true forum warrior. You've jumped all over my opinion, which I never stated to be gospel. Coke use, based on my personal experience and to my surprise is more prevalent than I ever expected. And yes the studies show it to be of minimal usage but my opinion is those stats can be jaded. And I'd much rather the cops go after a bikie group distributing it to cut the head off the snake than worry about a 55ye businessman with a small amount on him. Now fuck off im entitled to my option and you don't need to be dissecting it like I've come in here claiming I have all the answers. You constantly ruin discussions with your 'rights and wrongs' but that's not how discussions always play out. Get a life.

Reply #635146 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You've jumped all over my opinion, which I never stated to be gospel.
"Most people have tried cocaine" is not an opinion.

If you don't want to get called out for making shit up, don't make shit up.

Reply #635149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most people have, it's not exactly some rare thing in the big wide world. And based on my life experiences I'm not making shit up, it's like ALOT of illegal things they are there but not always spoken about. Step down, poor point to try and jump on, completely off topic but I'm thinking with the season over you've been desperate to jump on any potential miscue. Righteous prick.

Reply #635151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOve the retards talking about "But those who take the drug typically lack development in the front of the brain. It has been proven in the lab." So it must be true. Keogh and I know him personally has had a pretty decent career since leaving basketball and is clearly not challenged in the frontal area of the brain. Those that had a brain would know his business profile and proven business skills over the last 20+ years since leaving basketball. Retards just unite and post shit about nothing you factually know.

Reply #635152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of people post on here likes it's gospel. They love to see people fail and jump all over it like murder has been committed if it be a drug issue or a blown layup. This issue is a big deal for the individual, it's not a big deal for a basketball forum the drug in question is readily available and pretty mainstream now. So that's not as taboo as years ago, hopefully he will be ok and he can rebuild in all areas he may need too.

Reply #635154 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Most people have
"Most" is, at a minimum, 51%. Really, when I hear 'most' I generally think in the 80-85% range.

The actual number is 8%.

If you don't want to get called out for making shit up, don't make shit up.

Reply #635158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm in the 25-35 age bracket, the majority of people I have interacted with around 70% have at some stage in a recreational setting tried been around coke. For me as an individual with an individual opinion this coke theme is most people and although it's not for me, it's not as bigger deal as some harder drugs, again in my personal opinion. That's not made up, your not calling me out on shit your just a Internet pest, and sometimes I have time to bite back. You don't get the right to tell me what I think or have an opinion on. Ok pumpkin.

Reply #635160 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

the majority of people I have interacted with
This is what statisticians call 'selection bias'.

Reply #635161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annnnnd I'm done... you just keep going to it's not even interesting anymore. Be proud of yourself pumpkin

Reply #635162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, how silly do you have to be to think that your own personal "findings" on this subject, with a sample size likely measuring in the dozens, must extrapolate out to 24 million people.
I totally get that in certain circles it may well be "most" people. But those circles don't represent the majority of Australians. There are plenty of other circles where the percentages would be pretty much zero.
If you're going to try to dispute the results of an actual study, you've gotta do better than "yeah well I know some exceptions".
Come on. Common sense, people.

Reply #635163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was merely adding to the discussion from an individuals point of view based on life experience. I'm almost surprised at how important my opinions are on here haha the amount of stuff that get written on here and I'm lucky enough to have my stuff dissected. It could be said that it's common sense not take every individuals comments on a forum as overall gospel. Common sense people

Reply #635164 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I was merely adding to the discussion from an individuals point of view based on life experience.
You know we can still scroll up and see the post where you absolutely weren't doing that at all, right?

Reply #635165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went to a footballers house party once during the off season.
He told everybody Charlie would be coming around at 230am. I thought why would a guy rock up to a party so late. wasn't a guy named Charlie.

Reply #635180 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

Damian Keogh should be praised for his deep investigative work into the drug culture and issues within Cronulla. Some senior leaders just put out a press release and wash their hands of the issue.

Damian drew a line in the sand and found out what all the fuss was about.

Getting drugs off the street may have also been his motivation making it harder for the players to obtain the drug.

Reply #635183 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

give it up koberulz, you're making yourself look like a self-righteous douche....

I don't come on an internet basketball forum for empirical studies that have been peer reviewed for information. I come on here for opinions and news that can come from any source for some light reading, banter and fun.

If you're that keen to peer review everyone's comments and opinions, maybe you could ask Isaac for double blind, random controlled trials as the minimum standard before any data or information is presented for this hard-core academic community that basketball lovers come to known as Hoops?

Reply #635184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cavalo, THANKYOU! Someone else sees it like I do, koberulz you take this forum life too seriously and your turning ALOT of decent forum posters away because you dissect every comment like it's a university essay we are writing for you! Go crawl under a rock, dissect that.

Reply #635185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And to the anon in bold, yeah that's the opinion I have aswell, it's everywhere, stats aside for better or worse it is very easy to get your hands on. That was my initially what my comments where leading towards until koberulz ruined the mild comments I was adding to the topic. Careful he's coming after your reply next.

Reply #635186 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

And the side issue could have been avoided if the original comment had been 'many people' rather than 'most'.

'Most people' clearly says more than half the population has done it, which in the case of this specific issue [coke use], the stats and my life experience would suggest is a nonsense.

'Many' would have [accurately] implied 'quite a few' and we wouldn't have had this side discussion, interesting though it has been.

I knew there was a reason we have a language with lots of different words!

Reply #635187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah you're probably right not that it should've been such a long whinded issue but I happily retract my initial 'most' people comment and exchange it for 'many'.... back on topic.

Reply #635188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR the Mattic of Hoops.

Reply #635189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pop the point for me now it's it's just enjoyable when your words are going to be dissected to that extreme on a basketball forum. I write mostly from my phone for example hence spelling mistakes time to time, so to have to be so concerned with many or most to appease an passive aggressive antagonistic jerk who knows what's he's doing by making a point over nothing, it's a shame. Something very odd that one out west.

Reply #635190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only you'd said "I happily retract my initial 'most' people comment and exchange it for 'many'.... back on topic" instead of telling koberulz to..

"fuck off im entitled to my option"

...then the discussion wouldn't have developed in to you doubling down on a completely incorrect statement which formed the entire premise of your argument.

Reply #635195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah I agreed the terminology could've been better and the first person to point that out instead of call me out for 'making shit up' got my thumbs up. And he can fuck off he is a pest doesn't matter the topic he has to have his wrath felt. It's odd, and it makes these long whinded back forths degenerate any thread. But he doesn't care about the threads etc it's about his control, not a one off time. Later.

Reply #635198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well you did make something up...

I don't know why you feel his responses were so terrible, but when you had your input in to a discussion you just plucked bullshit out of thin air and think everyone else should be cool with that.

Reply #635199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz can you please go and get a life instead of living vicariously through the interent and this forum. As pointed out above no one cares for your semantics.

Reply #635200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latest here.
http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/05/08/09/04/cronulla-chairman-damian-keogh-breaks-silence-over-drug-bust
Including footage of the arrest!

Reply #635202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"living vicariously through the interent and this forum"

That doesn't make any sense.

Reply #635203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes perfect sense. Go check a dictionary then:

vicarious
[vahy-kair-ee-uh s, vi-]

taking the place of another person or thing; acting or serving as a substitute.

The internet serves as a substitute for kr having a real life.

Reply #635208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the captain who is low on demerit points?*

Reply #635211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most

greatest in amount or degree.
"they've had the most success"
synonyms: nearly all, almost all, the greatest quantity/part/number, the majority, the bulk, the lion's share, the mass, the preponderance
"she spends most of her time in London"

Reply #635212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So?

The "most" anon isn't me (I'm the one who used vicarously)

Reply #635214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet you're still attacking KR when he wasn't in the wrong. Maybe you should stop living vicariously though other moronic anonymous bullies.

Reply #635215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? I, like many others, agree with "most" anon (not the definition of most) about kr's general behaviour on this forum -- it is a general bball site, not an academic journal. He tries to make everything about semantics that no one is interested in.

Reply #635216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a discussion site and the "most" anon came in saying "whats the big deal? Most people have tried coke." If he wants to add that sort of comment to a discussion, he should be expected to be called out on it. What is the point of having a conversation when people just make stuff up?

Reply #635220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh boy... this thread though! Most or many... this is classic shit. KR is sitting back enjoying this right about now. Another round for the mystro of stirring the most shit with minimal effort. Well played odd sir.

Reply #635236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a troll but nothing has ever been done about it so this is what occurs. Same old, same old.

Reply #635237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah agreed.

Reply #635238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What should be done about it? Ban him because he doesn't agree with other people? Because he speaks differently? Because he's smarter then most/many of you?

Reply #635241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ smarter... umm yer nah. He is just an anal retentive nitpicker with no life.

Reply #635242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of questions from someone who claims me is smarter than us... just Ignore his trolling.

Reply #635243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on smarter than 'most' or 'many' of us? Need that clarified before my day can continue.

Reply #635244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"me is smarter than us"

Exactly!

Reply #635245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's all you have? A spelling error because of predictive text stuffing up? Jump all over that baby!

Reply #635246 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Could have all been avoided if 'most anon' had have condeded they messed up rather than doubling down and claiming his own personal experience justified the term. You weren't trolled, you were asked to provide any kind of proof for your claim and you couldn't. Well done you

Reply #635285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram my sincere apologies for my misuse of the terms most and many. My annoyance was more to do with the same old troll calling people out on minute issues rather than being wrong about peoples coke use. Does it really matter if i throw my opinion in amongst many others? Kr singles out the little things that can be jumped on such as this rather than letting them slide. Does my opinion on the usage of cocaine in this country really matter? Ofcourse not! But to dissect it as though ive claimed my opinion to be gospel is rather annoying. This isnt a once off, i read many threads and see his bullish behaviour over and over. So stuff it, of he is going to make a big deal out of one posters use of the english language and tell me my opinion is made up, well ill retaliate. If this was a once off id laugh it off, but he does it to everyone so often. Its a shame this forum has some interesting and entertaining tid bits, but as some have agreed sadly it also has the wrath of KR.

Reply #635289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's get back to the topic of Keogh and cocaine instead of about trolls. That's their aim - to veer us off of the topic and make it about them.

Reply #635291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah true that. How about the interview he did with the sunnies on. Poor bloke not having a good run and that wasnt a veey good look keeping your ray bans on! Been copping it a bit on twitter too.

Reply #635292 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Does my opinion on the usage of cocaine in this country really matter? Ofcourse not!
Then don't post it.

If it matters enough to be worth posting, it matters enough to be worth responding to. You can't have it both ways. You also can't claim that you're entitled to your opinion and can post whatever happens to float into your head, while also getting upset that I've responded to it.

Reply #635293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its probably more that you dictate with your responses to many peoples posts. Its at a stage where even when/if you are correct in your respaonse, you come across like such a dictator of terms that it supercedes the initial rebutal you have. Just some constructive feedback for you.

Reply #635296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You were the one who invented something and stated it as fact. That is entirely on you. If you want to talk shit and have no one correct it then a message board isn't the place for you.

Reply #635307 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Can we have the topic title changed to "The definition of 'Most'"?

Reply #635309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus...someone put this thread out of its misery

Reply #635313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ill take KR being "pedantic" over the anonymous bullies who decide everyone that isn't like them is a troll who should be banned.

Reply #635315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I started it and it's about time we all got back on track.

Reply #635316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keogh was credited with cleaning Cronulla up after their last drug scandal, which culminated in a premiership. Now mot long after he himself gets pinged for drugs. Full circle.

Reply #635322 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754