Isaac
Years ago

Majok Deng in the SA Premier League

Was checking ABL stats and noticed that Majok Deng is having a great season and for a strong team - 31.5 PPG, 11.8 RPG, great FT% and leading the comp in total blocks. Had a 47 point game against South the other week.

How's he typically scoring his points? Doesn't look to be overly reliant on shooting threes going by the stats.

Topic #41267 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

watched him play on Saturday night V North. He was outstanding. He is getting into the paint and scoring strongly on the defence. He is definitely scoring 3's though too.

He looks really good.

Reply #635176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam this rare huge stats! 47 in a 40 minute format is big time these days too... hopefully he is unleashed this upcoming nbl season.

Reply #635193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge numbers - and he isn't even leading the league in scoring!!!

Majok is scoring every which way - his mid range in dynamite, he hits a few 3s & he's tough getting to the rim. Expect a break out this year in NBL.

Drmic isn't doing too badly, either!!! Some serious talent in the PL this year. Some of the imports are worth the price of admission themselves.

Reply #635196 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

His shot distribution is very balanced: three pointers, mid-range pullups, post ups, drives, putbacks, transition, free throws... he's scoring from everywhere.

At PL-level he's a complete player because he has the length to get his shot off against just about anyone, and the skill to make them. While Forestville interchange 3-5 often, Deng is essentially playing a small forward role - at 6'10.

Hopefully over time this further translates to NBL-level.

Reply #635197 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Been saying this for ages on here, he's a 3 man. That was obvious even in juniors. Stretch 4 at most. He scored pretty effectively in NBL as well when given the opportunity.

Was a shame that when he went to NBA Summer League he was sitting on the bench pegged as a 5 man who needed to put on weight. Never got a chance.

Reply #635201 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't think he took in a lot of minutes in the nbl.
( a great guy)

Reply #635207 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Amazed me that after his 47 point game, he didn't get a thread on Hoops. Start ABL topics, people!

Which other players are standouts this season? Who else is key for Forestville? I saw in the Messenger write-ups that they've been belting a few teams.

Reply #635219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any highlight of Eian Davis from South? Averaging 33 on great percentages & multiple 40 point games. Is he a chance at NBL?

Reply #635350 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

^His game wouldn't translate to the NBL IMO, but he's obviously a very good PL player.

Reply #635353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Start ABL topics, people!"

I don't get it. Historically this site started out as an SA forum yet all the talk re: state leagues are about SBL on the west coast or SEABL on the east coast.

Reply #635359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must admit i lost interest in the SA local league years back. I still cant see myself going out to a cold stadium on a saturday night anymore, but sure there are plnety that will and its great to have some legit talent around again!

Reply #635441 | Report this post

Flash Maguire  
Years ago

One of the main reasons IMO that the 36ers struggled in the post season was that Joey Wright changed.
In the regular season he played Ferguson & Makok minutes off the bench which provided something different for the opposition.

Deng is long on D & can get up the floor & defend the Nbl guards with great pressure.
He causes turnovers inside & out.

Wright anchored them to the bench as soon as playoffs started & this made the 36ers one dimensional & older.
They relied on big minutes from Teys for example.

Watch out for this kid, Deng if they start believing in him

He is a gun

Reply #635510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playmaker - why not? I haven't seen him so can't comment but his numbers stack up to Creeks from last year & he's an NBL starter.

Is there anyone in PL who would stack up in NBL?

Reply #635569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite good numbers from Majok and a very capable support cast the Eagles went down to North on last weekend. If Starling keeps performing like he has should the 36ers look at him as a cheap import and free cash for a gun.

Reply #635629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754