Freethrows
Years ago

2017/18 NBL rosters

Unless I've missed something, the current NBL rosters are as follows:

Adelaide: have eight local players, with spots available for up to three restricted, Asian or local players. Will most likely go with three imports: 1, back up 3 and back up 5.

Brisbane: have nine local players and one import (unless Torrey Craig can be naturalised before the season). Assuming Cam Bairstow is re-signed on his 1+1 contract (I'm not certain if club or player have the option), they have one spot available for a restricted, Asian or local player. Recent reports are this may be Stephen Holt. If it's not Holt, they really need to sign another guard.

Cairns: have six local players and one restricted player signed, with room for up to four players (max two restricted players). Will probably go for two imports and two locals. It's rumoured that one of those is Damon Heuir. Need starting 1, 3 and 4 guys, and an 11th man to fill the gaps.

Illawarra: have six locals and one import signed. Same situation as Cairns, except they need a starting 3 and 4, a backup 3, and an 11th man (unless Cody Ellis or Kevin White are their 11th man!)

Melbourne: have five locals, one Asian import, and one restricted import. They have five spots remaining, up to two of which can be imports. Need a starting 1 and 3, and backups at 1 and 2. Unless you think Adnam is their backup 1, in which case they need an 11th man.

NZ: have seven Kiwis signed. Have four spots open, with up to 3 import spots up for grabs. Need a starting 1, backups at 2 and 4, and 11th man.

Perth: have nine locals (I'm counting Webster in this group), with two positions open, which can be filled by restricted or non-restricted players. Need a starting 3 and a backup big, depending on how they use Knight and Brandt (and Waxy).

Sydney: have five or six locals signed, depending on what you believe about Garlepp's contract situation. Have up to three import spots available, among five (or six!) total. God alone (or maybe Andrew Gaze) knows what they intend to do with their roster. The way I look at it is they have two kind-of 1/2s, two 3s, a back up 4, and a backup 3, 4 or 5 (I've never understood Garlepp.) Will probably sign, then sack or lose six, seven or eight imports through the course of proceedings between now and next March. Violet Crumbles until the end.

What do you think each/any of the teams should do with their rosters? Are there any obvious additions the teams should make?

Topic #41268 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent work.

Reply #635286 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Kings and JVG have been dropping hints left, right and centre for the last couple of weeks that they're targeting a gun 3pt shooting import stretch 4 that can slide to 3 plus 2 bigs that can switch between the 4 and 5 spot.

The one thing that interest me the most was JVG teased that one of the big is most likely an Australian with a respectable resume. There isn't that many FA or incoming FA from overseas leagues that I'm aware of, that can play both the 4 and 5 spots, and HAVE respectable experience.

Definitely can rule out Baynes, he's up for payday in NBA. Bogut is a strict 5, injured and still will garner interest in NBA when he returns. Maric and Schenscher are strictly 5s. Barlow is 4/3. Michael Vigor, Simon Lokan and Lewis Thomas may be able to play 5 but I don't think they are 'well credentialed'. Jonah Bolden is hot stuff at the moment and likely to be drafted, plus don't think he can play 5. Isaac Humphries playing 4 is going to be ridiculous and he's likely to go Europe if not drafted.

So that leaves me with only 3 possible names: Venky Jois, Dan Trist or Brock Motum. Jois, I'm not sure if he is suitable to play 5 in NBL but he is a physical and athletic player. Trist played 5 for Lafayette and I think he'll be an FA after his Danish stint. Motum is also going to be FA after this season with Zalgiris.

I've heard rumours that Zalgiris offered Motum a new 400k contract with Maccabi Tel Aviv reportedly looking at him as well. Before you discredit the ability of JVG to match those offers, I've noted that our season is almost 2 months shorter than theirs and we play less games overall, meaning on per game/month pay basis we can be very competitive with the added allure that they're playing close to family and can still pick up a short mid-season contract in Euro leagues once our season finishes.

It would be a massive signing if they can secure Motum and may explain why they played hard ball with Maric's option. In saying that, its just me speculating and it may turn out to be a fizzer. Any of you can think of any other NBL caliber Aussie 5/4 with extensive credentials?

Reply #635301 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Expect Damon Heuir to back as a taipan next year, he's been tearing it up in the first couple of games of the qbl this year. Really hope he keeps improving and can translate some of what he's shown he can do onto a bigger Nbl stage.

Reply #635319 | Report this post

Swoll boi  
Years ago

Deon Prewster to NZ is a rumour I keep hearing.

Nate Tomnlinson is attracting attention from Brisbane and Cairns.

Reply #635326 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Let's hope Heuir gets a NBL deal elsewhere.
He can have 40 a night in the QBL and he wont get minutes from you know who!

Reply #635329 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Pretty sure I saw that Bairstow picked up his player option for next season before the FA period started...

SteveK2 summed up the Kings situation pretty spot on... I can't think of any other Aussie big out there that would fit any top shelf description, unless it IS Trist and they're just putting their usual spin on it... I'd love Jois to come on board, but it's not like he's even that big to play the 4 really, although he'd bring some hustle and toughness which would be great...

Wouldn't put it past JvG to be aiming high for someone like Motum and all very good points are made, I just don't want to get any hopes up and then get Trist (who I was keen on coming out of College before we got stuck with Hill) but is his current league that strong? The playing hardball with Truck idea has some merit, I had just put it down to them not fully appreciating his effort last season and also maybe Truck thinking he could head back OS... His current Spain stint I think would have put a pin in that thinking maybe...

Either way, hopefully the quiet off season so far will pick up a bit in a couple of weeks when more of the Euro teams finish up...

Reply #635336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the Kings owner has told jvg to cut back on the money, I'm not certain Trist is the answer. All very quiet at kings though.

Reply #635343 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think for the most part, the largest chunk of money was well spent last season (Lisch and Newls with the majority share and Truck probably getting more than what value we got out of him, not always his fault though), just some recruitment fails like Powell and Blake (also, cutting a player that had been through all the team building for months with the team when they were on a roll was a management fail IMO) and coaching fails (failure to adapt to the other teams figuring out their shuffle).

Unless teams are signing someone who isn't playing anywhere else, it's going to stay quiet, but it's good to hear (ever so vaguely) that the Kings have a few players lined up, it's just that painful period before NBA summer camps that if you're targeting a good enough player, they still want to try their luck there, so you have to wait...

I hate waiting...

No way Trist is any answer other than as a back up, and my fear is that they won't invest in quality bigs and we'll have to rely on imports that like we saw with Whittington, it doesn't take much for them to have their true personality shine through and go off the rails... One of the reasons why I woudl have liked to have held onto Bryson since things were going good as a team... he wasn't on target but still always put in effort at the other end and didn't get his head down and whinge...

Reply #635346 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I don't think money is the major issue right now. The money freed up from Truck, Khazzouh and Blake's contracts would amount to quite a significant amount that JVG can wield to nab a big name. Early indication is that plan A would be that Aussie big and 2 imports, but they would have other contingencies where they may end up with 3 imports.

That last home game in Sydney gave them a fleeting taste of what may be a regular occurrence if they can contend for the championship. Its big $$ if you can fill up Qudos or even more if they make the upper decks available. IIRC that monstrous arena is 18k max capacity if fully opened. I don't think AEG will skimp to make that a reality. The moment they opt to cut back on spending is the moment they're planning to give up on their investment and I don't think it will happen after only one year.

I'm not sure if it will be Trist. No disrespect to Trist, but giving up that option on Maric for him just doesn't make sense. It will have to be someone that can be deemed to be an upgrade on Truck. The Kings' acquisition pattern right now points to an upgrading path and also a disturbing trend for shuffle haters :). I want to see how they go with a roster that live and die by the 3pt shot.

Reply #635471 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Cairns Taipans coach, Aaron Fearne, has stated he is after an Aussie 3, and imports at 1 and 4: http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/taipans-pursue-key-signings/

It would be fabulous if they can bring in an import 4 who can really do some damage. Was he talking about a 4 who can handle the ball on the perimeter, do you think, or a 3? "We want to try to add some length, athleticism, a perimeter threat. Someone that's comfortable handling the ball on the perimeter," Fearne told NBL Media.

The article mentions Coenraad and Barlow as possible options at 3, along with Owen Odigie and Mathiang Muo - of whom I would be happy to see only Coenraad - and Fijian Joshua Fox. I haven't been able to find out more than a few statistics about him, with a short internet search.

Could someone like Venky Jois be on the radar? What other options are there for returning Aussie College 3s?

Gee, I hope Nate Tomlinson is not on Fearne's radar, that would be absolutely terrible. He's not a good player, and he'd be a really bad fit with our current squad. I just can't imagine him as a Taipan at all.

@Wookie, I have a feeling you're right about Bairstow; I haven't seen any statements from anyone about him, though. @CT, same applies with Heuir.

@Thunderjam, we're keeping hold of Heuir this season, in case McCarron gets poached from us at the end of this year!

Reply #635546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754