Isaac
Years ago

Warriors-Spurs Conference Finals series

Great start to the series marred somewhat by the Leonard injury. A home loss might've put a bit more pressure on Golden State. They looked very tough when challenged, but what a solid outing for the Spurs - can't afford to have any omissions when you're facing the favourites but they were leading "comfortably" prior to Kawhi's injury and were in it even at Patty's free throws.

Bet Patty is wishing he made just one of those threes though.

Topic #41291 | Report this topic

Duke Fan  
Years ago

The stats from when Kawhi went off make for frightening reading if he misses any games.

Reply #635903 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Warriors went on a 18-0 run at that point. I think the +/- shift was +20ish with Kawhi on and -20ish when he was off. Which immediately brings to mind the idea that it makes a case for Kawhi as MVP, but the narrative just prior to the game was about how Pop and his roster were a thing of beauty that could execute even without two starters.

Dropping a road game wouldn't have been unexpected though so if they can get Kawhi back for G3 or before, they're a chance (I hope).

Reply #635904 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Executing against Houston without 2 starters is a different thing than executing against Curry/Durant & co. Yeah certainly hope he recovers quickly. I was quietly confident they could do something special in the WCF, but they certainly need him on deck

Reply #635911 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Will Draymond stop hanging out with Zaza now is the real question...

Reply #635913 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Great start to the series marred somewhat by the Leonard injury.
I wonder if the NBA will ever realise that having the benches six inches from the court is a stupid idea.

Reply #635927 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Koberulz, he landed on Zaza and not the bench. So the bench didn't really impact his injury

Reply #635935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great, as if the Warriors needed a lucky injury to go there way. Yet another boring series awaits us.

Reply #635938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Regardless of how the injury occurred, the bench always looks far too close to the court. Wasn't Rondo fined earlier in the play-offs for trying to trip an opponent while sitting on the bench?

Reply #635940 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

I agree with what Van Gundy said in that play where Leonard did his ankle should be a flagrant on Pachulia. Bruce Bowen used to do it all the time and I remember Tay Allen mentioning how dirty a play it was a few years back. I have done my ankle so many times when a guy gets under me when I shoot - particularly in social ball where the refs don't watch it closely. While it may/may not be dirty, it is definitely reckless and needs to be discouraged as it is a safety issue. Obviously Kawhi tweaking it on the bench players foot a few minutes before didn't help either - I agree the bench is too close to the court.

With Kawhi's influence on both ends, he is the number one player in the NBA I would pick to start a team around right now. He couldn't be stopped before that injury in today's game. I don't like the Spurs and am going for Golden State but it is a huge bummer when an injury jeopardises what could be an epic series. Let's hope the docs and trainers can get him ready to play for game 2.

Reply #635941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bench location is fine, makes for better atmosphere.

Going under a player is not however, time to tech for those.

Reply #635943 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, he landed on Zaza and not the bench. So the bench didn't really impact his injury
Are you for real?

Reply #635947 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

There was 2 instances where Kawi hurt his ankle. One when he stepped on David Lee's foot on the bench and the other when he landed on Zaza which was more serious. There's talk that this was a deliberate play by Zaza. I'm not really sure but Bill Simmons reckons it's 60/40 that it was intentional. Jalen Rose used to step under Kobe too back in the day to add to what Uncle Phil was saying.

If you're the Spurs I reckon you rest Kawi so he's ready for game 3 as there's a bigger gap between game 2 and 3 so he has extra time to recover. You hope LA goes for 40 but if not you just have to try and win at home with Kawi back and then try and win game 5 or 7 on the Warriors home floor.

Reply #635957 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Having watched a highlight package of how Bowen used to do it without making it look too obvious, when it clearly was, it does make it more plausible that Zaza knew exactly what he was doing. I'm still on the fence though.

Tough break for the Spurs, the team really fell apart without Kawhi this time around.

Reply #635961 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Well koberulz, seeing the play that took him out of the game is the one where he lands on the player in the game, then yes I am for real, as is logic

Reply #636005 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kawhi out for G2 and possibly G3. Iguodala out for G2 which is a slight reprieve for San Antonio - he's obviously a quiet key for the Warriors since he joined the team.

Reply #636122 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Put a fork in this one, it's done at half time. If Leonard is out for Game 3 the series is more than likely done. Zaza for WCF MVP

Reply #636132 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, unfortunately can't see Spurs getting enough points on the board against Warriors, a sweep is likely - sadly!

Reply #636133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*yawn*

:(

Reply #636139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*yawn*

Time for the NBA to take steps to prevent mass talent accumulation. They can call it the Durant rule.

Reply #636161 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well koberulz, seeing the play that took him out of the game is the one where he lands on the player in the game, then yes I am for real, as is logic
Does being injured worse later make the initial injury somehow not matter?

Would the second injury have been as bad if the first injury hadn't occurred?

Reply #636172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The talk about this play is so over dramatised.. similar plays occur 5 times a game.
LaMarcus Aldridge did the exact same thing to Durant today. How often do you see a jump shooter fouled down low? Every Game!! It occur often enough for development coaches to teach players how to land/fall to prevent these injuries, that's saying something.
If Leonard hadn't busted his ankle minutes earlier on his own teammate it wouldn't have even gotten a mention anywhere.

As for talent accumulation, it's always happened in the league and always will, social media is to blame for this over played complaining.
Celtics in the 60's
Lakers/Celtics in the 80s
Bulls 90s
Lakers 00's
Etc

Reply #636174 | Report this post

NBL Comm  
Years ago

Maybe it is just me but I find the NBA very boring compared to the NBL.

NBA allows players to travel constantly by taking three steps and taking off their pivot foot.

Reply #636435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...and loading up on talent.

Reply #636441 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hate to draw attention to it, but Patty Mills' numbers have been pretty poor against Golden State.

Closed the Houston series with a scoring run of 15, 10, 20 and 14.

Against the Warriors:

5 (1/8 FG)
5 (2/6 FG)
7 (2/10 FG)

Spurs might not have to reach so far now to keep him?

Reply #636448 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's in a contract year and had a great chance to step up in Parker's absence.

They did collectively look quite outclassed though.

Reply #636508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754