Isaac
Years ago

Penny Taylor marries former teammate Diana Taurasi

Quite the basketball match-up:

Phoenix Mercury star guard Diana Taurasi has married former teammate Penny Taylor, who now works for the team as an executive.

Taurasi and Taylor were married Saturday, which Taurasi described as "one of the happiest days we've ever had."

Taurasi, 34, has spent her entire WNBA career with the Mercury since being drafted by Phoenix with the No. 1 overall pick in 2004. Taurasi and Taylor were teammates with the Mercury for parts of 10 seasons before Taylor retired last year and was hired as the team's director of player development.
ESPN story

They won championships together in 2007, 2009 and 2014.

Topic #41298 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Penny Taylor married to a bloke?
Obviously things must have changed since I last heard that!!

Reply #636014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This happens a lot due to peer pressure in WNBA, LPGA etc. One minute they are with a guy then....

Reply #636016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Please tell me that was a joke.

Reply #636018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LPGA players have converted a lot of formerly straight players to the other side.

Reply #636019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh dear...

Reply #636020 | Report this post

Yes, she was married to Rodrigo Rodrigues Gil, a Brazilian volleyballer. That guy was bi and now she's married a dike.

Congrats to Penny. Awesome chick.

Reply #636024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't somebody please think of the children!!!1

Reply #636037 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Yes, clearly that's why people 'choose' to be gay: peer pressure. Top of the class, genius.

Reply #636055 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's the same reason there are no homosexual people outside of women's pro sports.

Reply #636060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously there are butches everywhere, in sport or outside of it.

The butches within these sporting circles are instigators and bullies. LPGA great example.

Reply #636066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/02/22/former-wnba-player-i-was-bullied-for-being-straight/

Reply #636067 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Congrats to them both. Luckily they're in a country where they can actually legally get married.

Briefly spoke to DT in Rio and she seemed very genuine on top of being a superstar.

Reply #636070 | Report this post

{  
Years ago

why is this a big deal it's their private life and choice

Reply #636071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam you religious people... grow up.

Reply #636072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Candice Wiggins story is very alarming.

Reply #636073 | Report this post

{  
Years ago

Candice can have her view as well.

Reply #636075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She can, but shouldn't be bullied about it.

Reply #636077 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I wont believe any of this until I have video evidence.....

Reply #636085 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

I wish them both all the best . PT is all class as a player and as a person, sexual orientation is totally irrelevant.

However -- I'm also certain there's an opportunity for a very politically incorrect ( and possibly offensive) Simon Kerle sledge in here somewhere,

But given he's now a "Good Guy" http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/former-nbl-wild-man-simon-kerle-to-help-adelaide-36ers-at-blitz-tournament-in-brisbane/news-story/98c644e143f58219ed1d75a22a2752ed

and as I also don't want to be tagged as a conservative right wing religious gay-basher I'll refrain.. ;)

Reply #636093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Heal sledge then?

Reply #636095 | Report this post

Stepback  
Years ago

Wow some very ignorant posts on this topic. I previously had more respect for some of the people that post on this forum. If people are gay, the sport that a person plays has absolutely no bearing on there sexuality. Perhaps it is more likely that gay women tend to be stronger at certain sports as it those that they attracted to compete in rather than the sport that has made that person gay...

Reply #636101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, Stepback. This thread is an embarrassment to this message board.

Reply #636105 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This thread is an embarrassment to this message board.
Really?

Reply #636106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said an embarrassment, not the only embarrassment, and I stand by that even if you're a fan of it.

Reply #636107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This probably made the Opals awkward.

Reply #636109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great thread brings back memories.

P.S. who bagged Carmel after the divorce?

Reply #636111 | Report this post

sharna  
Years ago

Why would this make the opals awkward?They have had a gay coach, gay players and straight players no one cares. It caused some issues between LJ and PT for alittle while as it is LJ ex but that was so long ago and sorted.
PT has been with her wife for 8 years maybe you cave men should come out from under the rock. She was married to the man who she couldn't even speak the same language as and spent most of their time apart for like 3yrs hardly worth counting.

People amaze me when they think something MAKES you gay... so uneducated. so if you joined a gay sports team as a straight man you would become a gay male... i dont think- same thing here but if you do have gay/lesbian tendencies you might meet the person you love just like anywhere else.
Australia is so embarrassing sometimes.
Congrats to PT and DT - most men are just jealous and wish they could pull someone as hot as PT

Reply #636125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Sharna

Nothing "makes you gay"

Reply #636126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well done people. Managed to take some nice basketball news and end with me deleting loads of comments and locking it. And it's 2017.

Reply #636183 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754