Aussie
Years ago

NBL Television broadcast deal for 2017/18

Anyone know what we may see?

The Foxtel broadcast deal was for every game live for 5 years (pending ratings)

Apparently the ratings are up last season by 20%, on the previous season (I've heard anywhere between 10-20%).

What can we expect to see come October? The same coverage or less?

Topic #41304 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing form Telstra so far :(

Reply #636155 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Or more

Reply #636156 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Great response champions.

Anyone else?

Reply #636158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About tree fiddy

Reply #636160 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Its probably too early in the offseason to make any announcements, but I would assume it would be much the same as last year with fox and nbl.tv.

I think you just have to wait a bit longer as TV deals take a while to finalise.

Id be very interested to see what (if any) FTA deal is made. I thought SBS were pretty average and would like to see a bit more support from a FTA channel. When you compare what SBS did for the A-League and then see what they did for the NBL, I'd be wanting a bit more effort to get closer to matching that if they were serious about helping the sport. Which I dont think they are.

Reply #636185 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They just simulcasted coverage

Reply #636191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct Haz. For all SBS has done for football in this country, they don't believe the same courtesy should be extended to basketball. They will cry foul how their own sport has been treated, yet do the same to basketball even though it is in the most similar situation to football. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" isn't their motto.

Historically out of the five free to air networks they have been the worst for NBL coverage. Their news usually doesn't even mention it, except for this season because they aired games.

Reply #636193 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Haz - given the WNBL deal was announced a couple of weeks ago, it seems reasonable to expect some announcement about tv coverage for NBL in 2017-18 by now.

The lack of one suggests there're material changes being considered. Otherwise, I'd expect somethign like teh WENBL announcement. i.e., here's the core TV offering for 2017-18 but we're still negotiating bells and whistles.

Maybe NBL are sounding out FTA options and the future business model for NBL TV? Maybe they're trying to get a big sponsor on board to support costs of better production and coverage, like netball and soccer?

Anyone got any rumours to share?

Reply #636199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL deal is between BA and Fox Sports.
NBL deal is between NBL and Fox Sports.

Two different entities.

Reply #636200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox Sports by signing WNBL can now say to NBL: "We have this basketball content" as a bargaining tool. Although with NBL paying for all production it is easily sourced content for them.

Reply #636201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how is it a bargaining tool to have wnbl?

Reply #636205 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The lack of [an announcement] suggests there're material changes being considered.
Really? To me it suggests exactly the opposite. They signed a five-year deal, what is there to announce unless something changes?

Reply #636215 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Exactly, nothing thread.

Reply #636217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"how is it a bargaining tool to have wnbl?"

On second thoughts - it isn't.

LOL... touche.

Reply #636218 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"WNBL deal is between BA and Fox Sports.
NBL deal is between NBL and Fox Sports.

Two different entities."

My response to Haz's post was referrign to the noptino that it's too early in the off season to announce anything. WNBL and NBL have essentially the same off seasons.

koberulz, as OP stated, the five year deal was announced as having conditions and they included a review at the end of the first season. If that review was completed and there was to be no change I'd have expected a "steady as she goes" announcement.

Reply #636234 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I have no idea what is being negotiated, or why its taking time however i could only assume that Fox, with a 5 year deal in place would be continuing with similar coverage. There has been nothing to suggest they will scale back coverage, after the league has just come off one of its best seasons on and off the court.

The FTA component has traditionally always taken up the entire off season to finalise. Didnt the channel 9 deal come right at the last week of the offseason?

The SBS deal looked like it was slapped together at the last minute too.

Honestly, I would be stunned if there was no FTA offering this season. Id say the league are working on getting something a little better than SBSs coverage, with Fox to stay the same.

Reply #636249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what answers were you expecting Aussie?

Reply #636273 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I have no idea what is being negotiated, or why its taking time
Why are you assuming anything is being negotiated?

koberulz, as OP stated, the five year deal was announced as having conditions and they included a review at the end of the first season. If that review was completed and there was to be no change I'd have expected a "steady as she goes" announcement.
There was one. A year ago.

Reply #636276 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Um we still have this whole bullshit about cricket Australia and if that will stay on free to air tv or go for the big bucks with a move to Foxtel.

It would be foolish not to believe that if cricket is also on FOXTEL along with motor racing and other such options at its disposal that Foxtel may not want to show all NBL games live but overall I think that channel 9 will win the cricket rights and NBL will be seen as quite the commodity and coverage will be kept the same.

But maybe with more Abby Gelmi and other pretty sideline commentators that seem full of knowledge.

Reply #636280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754