Anonymous
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood's AFL Debut

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/former-perth-wildcat-hugh-greenwood-to-make-afl-debut-for-adelaide-ng-b88480701z

I didn't think he'd ever get an AFL game after leaving the Wildcats, but good on him!

Topic #41309 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Great guy and someone who has character unlike most of the idiots who want to drag him down. See the last topic on this. Named and shamed.

Reply #636247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The odds did seem stacked against him at the time. He was around 23, had a decent basketball contract and bright basketball future ahead of him and walked away from it for a long shot.

He was a promising u16's footy player, but lots of 14 and 15 year old's who are good players won't go on to still be standouts in a few years time after maturing and the majority won't make the AFL.

Corey Adamson was once an u15's AFL All Australian who became a pro Baseball player in the US. He retired from baseball in 2014 at around the same age as Hugh did (maybe 22ish?) to try play AFL and was cut by the Eagles last year without a game.

In recent years if an AFL club selects a 23 year old its often a ready to go player and not really a project type. Especially not one who hadn't played in years to try and convert back to a footy player.

When he was signed by Adelaide I thought that would make it even harder for him, needing to break into such a strong team that was contending made it look more unlikely.

I doubted him, but I was never against him and hoped that he would make it. Congrats to him on being able to get a game, I hope he goes well!

Reply #636248 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Fair effort breaking into the team on top of the ladder too.

Reply #636250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game will determine a lot for his career going forward.

Reply #636251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pardon my ignorance but the game is yet to be played?

So what if he gets out there this weekend. He could go out there and lay an egg. Let's wait and see.

People are vindicating his switch purely based on being on the team list (wtf). Wait until he actually plays.

Reply #636255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You realise he has been playing in the 2's for over a season now and it is great form that got him elevated to the senior team right? sure he hasn't proven a thing yet at afl level but clearly the guy is good.

Reply #636258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Great guy and someone who has character"

Yeah, the character to break a three year contract four weeks in. The character to sign a contract when you had your eye on the other side the whole time.

Reply #636259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes 2s. State league. wow

Let's wait and see.

Reply #636260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He definitely has a long way to go before he makes a good career out of it, but managing to get a game is a huge achievement. Breaking into the side for that first debut game is probably the biggest and hardest step to make, especially given he plays for the side that is on top of the ladder. He's put in good performances in the reserves to work his way into the best 22, now he needs to show he can perform at AFL level.

Expectations shouldn't be that he stars in the first game, he just needs to play his role and show that he belongs in the AFL.

Reply #636261 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think Blicavs at Geelong switched to footy at age 22 after switching from being a track runner and not playing organised footy since he was 14.

There's a lot of roster spots available in the afl, especially with rookie lists (and b rookie lists for unconventional recruits). If someone shows some promise, someone will take a punt

Reply #636262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Blicavs is a good late convert success example, but he's slightly different. He didn't take a risk as big of as Greenwood and had a slightly easier path. He was a little bit younger and played a handful of VFL games after missing out on the Olympics before being drafted and then playing round 1. He wasn't really risking much and walking away from anything like Greenwood (a contract, money, career ahead, etc) since his track career had pretty much gone as far as possible. He also had the luxury of being a 200cm super athlete who was able to walk straight into the ruck role Geelong desperately needed at the time and continue to learn on the fly. Greenwood has a lot more competition for his position (MID/FWD I believe) and needed to show he had high quality footy skills and not be able to rely largely on physical tools for his position like Blicavs (he did have some skill though and also plays midfield, particularly now).

IMO ruck is probably the easiest position to convert to if you have the physical tools and can learn some basic skills/smarts which is why the Americans (Cox/Holmes) have had games, Brogan made a good career after playing NBL. Now guys like Blicavs, Jenkins and others.

Reply #636264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenkins only ever was a DP and was a short 5 man, no basketball career there and Blicavs doesn't play ruck.

Reply #636266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He may not have had a Basketball career ahead of him, but the point was Jenkins was still a convert after playing mainly Basketball a a junior and taking up footy quite late. Blicavs does play a bit of Ruck, but like I said he now plays more midfield.

Reply #636268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop bagging him. It's his choice good luck to him.

Reply #636270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One word Gliddon. CYA NBL.

Reply #636272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's more than one word.

Reply #636281 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Its probably taken him 2 years to build up the elite endurance required to play in the midfield. Guys often come into AFL and take years to build up the petrol take required to play in the midfield.
AFL seems to apprecaite the "court vision" which a lot of guys with a basketball background can bring.
Hope he goes well, but alos hope NBL (or any elite level basketball) doesn't become a recruiting ground for AFL.

Reply #636282 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bemused why the NBL are promoting it on their FB page and referencing him as a "former Wildcat".

Reply #636366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ that is horrible

Reply #636371 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not the NBL will take any advertising/attention it can get.

Reply #636375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Promoting a switcher-awayer from your sport is awful.

Reply #636377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great interview on ABC National radio with his dad "Sticks" speaking about Hugh's journey. His mother Andre Marquis has terminal secondary breast cancer and is a survivor so far.
All the best Hughie.

Reply #636410 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Forgettable first quarter turns around for Hugh with a goal after the siren.

Reply #636412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kicked a goal right before quarter time!

First quarter:
5 Disposals
1 mark
1 goal
4 tackles (team high and 2nd most)
31 Dream Team points (team high and equal 3rd most)

Reply #636413 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bang, bang! 2 more and he's on fire.

Reply #636418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. He now has 3 goals before half time!

Reply #636419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate
baby i'm just gunna shake shake shake shake shake
i shake it off i shake it off

Reply #636421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah all the experts here 2 seasons ago said he couldn't do it and would never succeed. Fracktards.

Reply #636428 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #636429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are all the detractors now?

"COACH Don Pyke can thank heavens Hugh Greenwood said arrivederci to basketball, after his impressive debut during Adelaide's emphatic 80-point win over Brisbane at the Gabba."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/hugh-greenwood-makes-sparkling-afl-debut-as-crows-smash-woeful-lions-at-the-gabba/news-story/61c9a8dc972ff1cfb6ed3383bba177bd

Reply #636434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

crows might have only won by 10 goals if it wasn't for hugh!

Reply #636436 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I was as salty as anyone else when I heard he was switching codes. However after watching the game last night, I could see that he made the right decision. I think he is going to be a better footballer than he was a basketballer, and if that's his dream, who are we to tell him any different? I look forward to watching him develop into - hopefully - an AFL star.

And I also have no problem with the NBL talking him up either. Why have sour grapes about it?

Reply #636437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another classic example of the overuse of the word "hater" in this thread.

The fact is he had one eye on another sport all along, then signs a long term deal with Perth. Always had suitors even during college from the other side. Four weeks between signing and leaving, that is barely a window.

That action is disrespectful to the Wildcats, NBL, BA and FIBA. This is professional sport.

If he becomes a star in his new sport that's fine, no one wishes him to do badly, or "hating". Actually as a bball fan it is irrelevant what he does outside of the sport because I don't follow it so makes absolutely no difference. It's the actions that came about with the switch which were questionable.

Some people really get too invested in one side and then emotionally hit out at legit critics with "haters", ftards, etc. Grow up.

Reply #636474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure he had one eye on the AFL and once the Boomers thing disappeared the focus became more prominent. If you know Hugh he has always wanted to be the best at what ever he can do. it's now AFL.

Reply #636477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noted. But you don't spit the dummy at not being selected by the national team before you've even played one game in a pro league!

Reply #636479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly he didn't care about that. Listen to his father on ABC National Sport on Saturday talk about his ambitions and desires. Far more too it that anyone here even has a clue about.

Reply #636481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly my point #481. His ambitions didn't change drastically over the space of those four weeks.

Reply #636485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad analogy XY.

"Most people" aren't on contract. They are full-time with a notice period. Thus free agents most of their careers. Whereas in sports you are locked into a contract. Puzzled at your comparison to be honest.

Reply #636500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see greenwood in the Crows selection for tonights finals. Haters be gone.

Reply #646109 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754