Isaac
Years ago

NBA Finals: Warriors vs Cavs

After a long wait, Game 1 is here!

Your tips?

If nothing else, should be great to see LeBron fully tested and what he could unleash.

Topic #41354 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warriors sweep. Plus Warriors sweep for the next couple of years. They are on an upper echelon to every other team in the league.

Reply #637178 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Not sure about the sweep, LeBron will probably pull one game out of his but. Bet when Curry and Durant go for 30+ and double figure assists, as they look like doing today, then they don't lose

Reply #637179 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Warriors with 31 assists and only 4 turn-overs compared to the Cavs with 15 assists and 20 turnovers! There's the game right there. You can't give these Dubs that many extra shots and expect to be close.

Reply #637180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

AKA - incredible. Had to go check to make sure!

Warriors: 4 turnovers tied single-game NBA Finals low (2005 Pistons, 2013 Spurs).
Lue said his opposition are the best he's ever seen.

Imagine how happy a coach would be with that sort of efficiency.

Curry's pass to Durant where LeBron slipped was supposedly an accident. He assumed Klay was going to cut and the pass slipped. LeBron saw Klay double back so never watched for the ball heading towards Durant.

Reply #637181 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

GSW are on another level frankly and I when people ask me why I think they'll win, I can summarise it quite neatly with "they simply have too much firepower". Granted the Cavs can win, but the point being that it will take a number of Durant, Curry, Klay and Green (probably 3 of them) to be really off their game.

The finals don't really excite me too much - quite predictable and we're made to fall in love with the idea of a team of Curry, Durant, Klay, Green etc. winning the title.

Reply #637184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever. Buying a title with a former opponent superstar and MVP. Cavs or other teams could do the same if they spent the dollars and had players leave and join their nemesis team. Say what you like about LeBron, he moves to help players and teams become better for it.

Reply #637193 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Barring any serious injuries, I'm predicting Warriors in 5. Covfefe will try to adjust and probably get 1 in Cleveland but quite obvious Durant and the Warriors core from last season would be extra determined to try and sweep.

Durant was so aggressive in game 1 its looking ominous and if the series degenerate into a tough slug-fest, Zaza gave them that nastiness that went missing when Bogut got injured last year.

Reply #637198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Buying a title with a former opponent superstar and MVP.
Is that the Cavs getting LeBron?

Reply #637199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The irony of complaining about Golden State buying a title.. when Cleveland have the highest payroll in the league and spend $21 million more than the Warriors.

Reply #637202 | Report this post

Anonono  
Years ago

How about some posters telling us Steve Kerr can't coach, just living on the legacy left by Mark Jackson aka Bevo.
And don't forget Golden State won a title before Durant arrived.

Reply #637203 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Let's not forget that GSW won the first 2 games easily last year and still lost. Obviously this is a far better team with KD. And hopefully no series ending injuries or suspensions to anyone takes place like it did last year. But let's jump ahead and assume GSW take out the title as easily as their performance in game one suggests - and play a hypothetical game.

Who would the Cavs have to recruit to be able to compete with the Warriors next season? Let's say they swapped Love for Khawi Leonard. Now would that tip the balance in favour of the Cavs? Probably, but that's never going to happen. So are there any realistic possibilities out there for the Cavs to recruit to get close to the Warriors - Melo maybe?

Reply #637207 | Report this post

Years ago

Cavs could have the all star east team and still find it hard to compete with the Warriors. Can't see anyone coming near them for a long time.

Reply #637222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still think kd move to gsw was poor form given okc were challenging the year before. unprecedented and warrants comments of ring chasing. would he have gone to them if they were say 6th last year for hypotheticals sake. prob no. yes they are the best at them moment and last 2years looked that way but cavs took them out. yes they will likely be the title holders for many years. if kd stayed at okc or moved to another team there may have meant more challenges and a more exciting season and an exciting future for NBA but the only excitement this season was the progress reports on westbrooks record breaking and thomas's brooklyn. rest of it was drawn out and mundane and obvious result of a gsw sweep will be done very soon and all anyone will remember is westbrook and thomas because people want something new and surprising not what is expected. boring.

Reply #637274 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Triple doubles by players from opposing teams. Only second time ever in the NBA playoffs:

According to Elias Sports Bureau, this was just the second time in NBA playoff history that two players recorded triple-doubles in the same game. The only other occurrence was in 1970 when Milwaukee's Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and New York’s Walt Frazier both did so in a 1970 Eastern Division finals game.

Reply #637278 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"unprecedented and warrants comments of ring chasing."

How is it unprecedented? Kevin Garnett, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, Dennis Rodman etc It started happening many years ago.

Reply #637281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boring boring boring!

KD the ultimate glory hunter, his legacy.

Reply #637284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KD to GSW is a whole new level compared to those names above. MVP and All-Star goes to a team with three other All-Stars already and an MVP. Ridiculous.

Reply #637285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not as if Lebron went to South Beach just for the weather. Sheesh!

Reply #637289 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

lol

Let's not write the Cavs off just yet.
Maybe after game 3 we can do that....but I hope not.

Reply #637293 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

KD to GSW is a whole new level compared to those names above. MVP and All-Star goes to a team with three other All-Stars already and an MVP. Ridiculous.

Fair enough, Brunson may have missed the mark with those names but what about Moses Malone from Houston to Philly? Ever heard of his famous words "fo fo fo"?

Rockets were knocked out in the Finals in 81 by the Celtics. MVP in 81 was Philly's Julius Erving. The next year Malone was MVP but the Finals were between Lakers and Philly. Lakers beat Philly 4-2 for the championship in 82.

Malone became a free agent and what did he do? The reigning MVP joined a team that was knocked out in the finals that had the previous MVP. They went 65-17 in regular season and 12-1 in the playoffs and swept the Lakers in 83. Maybe not fo fo fo but it was fo fi fo. Oh and Malone was MVP in 83.

So now we have KD in 2017, a reigning MVP joining a team knocked out in the previous Finals with the previous year MVP in it. Deja Vu? Precedence?

Reply #637294 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Ugh this blows. The whole season has been inevitable for almost a whole year now which made it really hard to get into. I don't have any problem with KD having the right to do what he does, but the decision has killed the leagues showcase as a spectacle. If the best team can destroy the team who are clearly head and shoulders above the other 28, what is the point? Its like being one of the teams that isnt Barca or Real Madrid in la liga.

And how much leeway does Draymond Green get with the refs. He could be teched up after every call, while others where he blatantly yells and continues to carry on and nothing. I love the guy but a tech is a tech.

Reply #637301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree. Green gets away with more than others. Lance Stephenson no 2.

Reply #637306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ZzzzzzzzZZZzzZZZzz

*yawn*

Reply #637475 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I figured the Cavs would probably be able to "steal" one at home to avoid a sweep.
They sure messed that up! Get the brooms out :/

Reply #637476 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Was a great game until the last 3 mins, when the Cavs failed to score.

K Love and Kyrie (who otherwise played a good game) went 1-14 from three (7%).

Klay, KD and Curry went 15-27 (56%).

Possibly the three best volume shooters on the same team. So much fire power, so hard to contain.

Reply #637477 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Yeah thought if the Cavs could steal a game it would be this one. Did Green punch anyone in the nuts? Otherwise it's brooms

Reply #637481 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

Cavs should have won. They blew it, we all know GSW are good enough to take a half chance like that. What a disaster that last minute and a half was.

Reply #637482 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Viewership is up, but they might not get more than 4 games. Wonder if the league might look to adjust their salary cap rules as a result?

Reply #637483 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Cavs blew it. Was their last shot.

Reply #637484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the league adjusted their salary cap, it destroys Cleveland and Portland before anyone else.

This is unfortunately what happens when the fans and media in general place so much emphasis on winning rings, and that's the be all and end all.

I also think a lot of it comes down to the actual culture of the Warriors, which I think was the main grab for Durant over anything else, they have fun playing the game the right way, and you can see that in their body language.

Reply #637485 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

So who wins if the teams do a straight up trade of Love for KD? I think that would make for a much more interesting Finals but I think the Cavs take it out.

Reply #637487 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:09 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754