LC
Years ago

Schenscher & Townsville in Mongolia

CLB3X3 Summer Series Champions Townsville are set to fly the Australian flag in Mongolia, taking part in the FIBA 3X3 Ulaanbaatar Challenger event from June 3-4. They will be led by NBL journeyman and former NBA center Luke Schenscher, whose side has aspirations of upsetting the world's best 3X3 teams who are set to take part in the event.

Luke Schenscher set to lead Aussie 3X3 team in Mongolia

Topic #41355 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Mongolia. Could they have picked a more random country for a basketball tournament haha... to be fair though, the city and countryside does have a fair few basketball rings randomly hanging around probably from the old days of Russian rule

Reply #637212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please explain this tournament to me; why is Australia playing in Mongolia when the FIBA 3x3 World Cup is due to take place in France later this month? Didn't Australia qualify?

Cheers

Reply #637214 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As I understand it this is a Townsville team not Australian team that won the CLB tournament to qualify for this. I think Boti said Peter Crawford played for them in that CLB tournament but his QBL team refused to release him for the Mongolia qualifier so they had to grab a fill in for this.

Reply #637217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, you're sadly very correct. PC was at the St Kilda tournament. The TSV Heat refused to allow him to play, they claimed he was required for the game against Ipswich, I think. My point to that is, PC has done more than enough for the basketball community of Far North Queensland. If id been him, id say im going. Great experience, and really what were they going to do as a club? Cut their best player? Not many that could replace him in the local community.

Reply #637220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most basketball contracts have out clauses for fiba sancured tournaments, not certain how he was stopped from going.

Reply #637223 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This is not a national team tournament - it is professional.

US$20k for the winners and qualification for the World Tour event in Japan.

Townsville earned selection after winning CLB3X3 Melbourne event.

PC was part of the team and the Heat would not release him to play and hence Garlepp stepped in.

Reply #637224 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Watch live now.

Reply #637225 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA3X3 stream cut by YouTube for the background music!

Reply #637227 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #637229 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #637230 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why did they cut it LC?

Reply #637231 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think it was due to the background music playing which breached copyright!

Reply #637232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ARGHH this always happens when I stream games from Mongolia!

Reply #637240 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Official line from FIBA...

Due to technical reasons, the livestream of the Ulaanbaatar 3x3 Challenger had to be stopped. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Reply #637242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hate for someone to ask PC what the actual story is... amazing that no one has thought of asking him for the real reason he didnt go

Reply #637246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The actual story has been discussed above.

Reply #637251 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA3X3 stream is back up today...

Townsville play their final game at approx 5:20pm AEST.

They are 0-2 to open the tournament.

Reply #637257 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia's first team to take part in a FIBA 3X3 Challenger event returned home without a win, however they may have taken the next step required for the sport to help take off back home in Australia.

Mongolian experience set to drive 3X3 success

Reply #637399 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754