SteveK2
Years ago

Should Kings sign the first Indian player in NBL?

Amritpal Singh was invited to try out in their recent rookie camp and impressed them enough that they are considering signing him.

IMHO there is more pros than cons in it. Unlikely he will be a starter at this stage but would he be good enough to be the main backup at C?

The Kings have 4 roster spots left excluding development players. I don't think he'd be happy if they offer him a DP spot and the meager pay that goes with it. Of that 4 spots, the Kings still need another backup PG, starting C and a backup C/PF with the last spot pretty much open to any position.

Here's a few of his highlight clips:

So whaddya think?

Topic #41374 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I think we need some clips of Singh being defended. What even was that from #12?

Reply #637508 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Agreed with PlaymakerMo, there was no defense.

He would never start in the NBL. I doubt he would be a back up either. When the game is over he could come on for a few minutes or if they are in foul trouble.

Not sure how many more fans he would bring to the games either. The Chinese player experiment last season didn't really add that much value IMO.

If he gets into the team and proves me wrong that is fine.

Reply #637514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFAIK he tried out in the combine. Nothing. Let's hope the Kings don't go with someone how has been underwhelming already.
Mathing Muo is killing it in the SEABL and he tried out. I know who should get a shot and it's not the Indian.

Reply #637517 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If we hadn't already signed Dane as a fully rostered player, I would say that it might be worth a shot, some comments from someone who was there being that while he seemed to get overwhelmed with the pace at times, he gobbled up the boards, which is something that the Kings could really use, and as an end of the bench prospect that could be pulled out at times to combat some of the bigger lineups for short bursts, it might be worth it, but as Steve said above, only 4 roster spots and need some more starting level big talent first...

Team as it stands:

Lisch / ???
Cadee / ???
Newls / Blanchfield
Perry / Garlepp / Pineau
??? / ???

It's disappointing to hear from JvG that they will not be targeting an Import PG, so it looks like the focus now is on the 5/4 import, with a rumour that Maric could be coming back also...

I know both Newls and Blanchfield can slide to the SG spot, but back court depth really was a weakness last season and I STILL say getting an import like the American Damo (Sanders) would be the best option... Doesn't need to be able to put huge points on the board, there are so many other options, just needs to be able to be thrown at the best opposing guard to help shut them down and facilitate to our offensive talent...

Reply #637530 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

Yes sign him up as a import and the Kings can sink further down the ladder.

Reply #637531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the question should not be ""should they sign the first Indian player"", the players nationality should not be a factor if they are a good enough player thats all that matters

Reply #637539 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Can he cook a particularly tasty beef vindaloo?
Agree with the anon above. Sign the best players they can regardless of nationality

Reply #637540 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yes sign him up as a import and the Kings can sink further down the ladder.

The NBL conveniently amended the player designation rule by allowing each team to swap one local spot for an Asian player so he won't take up an import slot.

Sorry couldn't find better highlight clips of him since there's few to begin with and mostly he is matched up against midgets. These UBA centres are of comparable size to him but correctly noted that the defense are terrible.

Wookiee heard right though, he is being evaluated mainly on size for defensive matchups and rebounding. Unlikely they'll rely on his raw offensive ability.

Reply #637541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone should have a look at Lewis Thomas from Hobart. Raw and needs another season in the SEABL but potentially a good off the bench Aussie. Good height, game smarts and flying under the radar right now.

Reply #637562 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Was very nearly picked up by an NBL club a year or two ago, from memory.

Reply #637563 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He wouldn't be an import from memory the Asian player rule is separate from that? Oh, and yes India is a part of the Asian continent

Reply #637564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely KB.

Reply #637571 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Was very nearly picked up by an NBL club a year or two ago, from memory.

Were you referring to Lewis Thomas? He was a training player for the Wildcats two years ago, along with DKD and Corban Wroe.

The Kings would've looked at him when he was playing for Glasgow recently. Might be a bit undersized and raw to play centre though, only 6'8". A good rebounder but probably not what they're looking for with Pineau and Ellis already signed.

Speaking of which, Olgun Uluc put up an article confirming that the Kings offered Humphries a contract. Looks like the NBL would be close to last on his options though, probably to Wookiee's consternation :).

Reply #637574 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd have thought that Illawarra would be a better option just on last years stats where AJ played roughly 30 minutes a game and Holyfield played 10, rather than how the kings split theirs 20/20 as it would expose him too much and Illawarra could really benefit from Indian sponsorship too if he gets enough exposure, something I don't feel the Kings need after their new owners last year being a consortium owning major sporting teams

Reply #637583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks already had their fill of Indian sponsorship.. LOL!

Reply #637594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, sign him because it will be another great decision Gaze and JVG they both can hang their hat on like the great decision they made signing the Chinese player, who had an excellent season last year getting zero minutes!

Reply #637713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played 5 games idiot.

Reply #637715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... of 0:01 minutes.

Reply #637754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bo Liu Sydney Kings: 5games 1.68mpg. Can't you even look up the NBL website to see what he actually played before you gob off?

Reply #637792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754