Martha
Years ago

U16's Nationals

What a joke basketball Victoria is. If you are down at the classic and going to Nationals you can see Victoria's state side play in the GF today. The state coach is also the Bulleen coach and has 7 of squad in her rep team. You would hate to be trying to make a state team in Victoria, not rigged much.

Topic #41383 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted. Naming U18 players.)

Reply #637656 | Report this post

Martha  
Years ago

I would love to know how in a state as strong as Vic 7 of the players can come from the team of the coach?

Reply #637658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having had two children go through state programs (one made state teams, tho other didn't, always just missed out) I can say that my experience is.

1. The selection decision does not rest solely with the head coach - there are assistants & a selector.
2. Form in the East Coast Challenge plays a part.
3. Team mix is important - you can't have a team full of guards or a team full of bigs.

As unfortunate as it is with Basketball you are generally playing for one of two spots - starter or bench.

Finally, whilst making junior state teams is a fantastic achievement, the true test is where all these juniors are once they have finished juniors. Some are good in juniors because they matured early which generally means they have a size & speed advantage.

There are many cases of players playing in WNBA, WNBL, SEABL, State etc who never made state junior teams.

So if you child is good and loves the sport, continue to encourage them to be the best they can.

One casual observation - Bulleen have made the GF presumably because they are a good team. Good teams generally have good players.

Unfortunately Victoria is a strong state for Basketball, especially the girls so if you think you child should play Nationals, then you could move to country Vic or in interstate?

As an general example of Victoria's strength. Last year at the U20 Nationals Victoria entered two men's teams and they both made the final.

Reply #637660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my observations the state teams come from a number of the stronger programs that generally have better coaching and more committed kids and therefore attract better players.

Knox, Dandenong, Diamond Valley, Bulleen, Nunawading (Girls), Melbourne Tigers.

Can I ask did any of the Seven Bulleen players move from other clubs to Bullen?

This is often a factor - Kids, or their parents, changing clubs for better opportunities.

Reply #637661 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

I've got no knowledge of who should be in the team and who shouldn't but...they still made the GF? Right or wrong I'm sure this would help justify selections...

Reply #637666 | Report this post

Martha  
Years ago

I'm not sure if anyone moved clubs but given that 3 Victorian teams made the top 4 of classic and 7 victorian teams made classic I would think the spread would be greater. Having older kids I have to agree with anon normally they come from the top 5 teams. This group had three main selectors, all 10 kids selected came from those clubs, 5 from the Head coaches club and then two emergencies from her club. Having watched this age group for a numbers of years now I do know that until this years selection they did have a spread of clubs represented.
Looking at all the other state teams there does seem to be a good representation of clubs....just not this age group this year.

Reply #637686 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

naming juniors ? "anonymous" is obviously a rather pathetic sample of the morally impoverished "me me me" generation.

Who's posts are about to be deleted, but not ,unfortunately IMHO, the continued existence of their DNA from the gene pool.

Reply #637725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About 15 other threads discussing players who are u18 and you can't talk about players who have already been named in these chosen squads. This is a major junior tournament, many of whom will represent Australia at junior level and we can't discuss this in Australia's biggest hoops forum?

Reply #637726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the State Coach? Bulleen Coach? -oooh thats right Bulleen is the State Team doesn't like any of her players names being used but she is definitely happy to abuse and use the Melbourne Junior Classic as a forum to have her team ready and prepared to win the Under 16 National Championships. What an absolute disgrace !!

Reply #637744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clearly..

That's why coaches should coach and selectors must be neutral.

It's not what's happening and it's not giving credit to those who should be there.

Reply #637749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?client=1-5008-0-456869-0&a=STATS&sgroup=scoring&sgstat=Av%20Pts

Very useful data..

Reply #637752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are now resorting to stats. What do stats mean and what do they not show. Great work again coach or Bulleen parents. Everyone could see through what was going on. Your kids didn't come off the court for the whole tournament so you would better hope their names would be up high on the list. Unless there is stats on exact court time ratio - assists given and received -
turnovers - the list goes on - basically they mean nothing except to the ridiculous parents who allow their children to focus on this rather than just player the game. Pretty sure last time I checked it was a team sport. Looking forward to the next comment !!

Reply #637770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to be very careful using stats as reasoning.
The top two bulleen girls are two of the best players in Vic Metro, no one disputes that. But what you have in between them and the rest of the players that were picked from Bulleen are a lot of emergencies and kids who didn't even get a look in because they weren't from the right clubs. Hopefully the system will change in the future but nothing will change this year so it is fruitless

Reply #637775 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

About 15 other threads discussing players who are u18 and you can't talk about players who have already been named in these chosen squads. This is a major junior tournament, many of whom will represent Australia at junior level and we can't discuss this in Australia's biggest hoops forum?
No, read the guidelines. Your account has been blocked.

Reply #637783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wake up parents and move on. To those of you who daughter missed out on selection we watched the Bulleen/State coach do exactly the same thing last year to all our girls. She then went on to use the Melbourne Classic as a training tool with the girls she picked from Bulleen for the State Championships as well. Alot of our girls were shafted again this year in the Under 18's with a bias selection panel. Lets hope BV wake up and make it a clean sweep of moving coaches out and getting a fresh coaching panel in for 2018. Most importantly be positive for your kids.

Reply #637784 | Report this post

Martha  
Years ago

Given that appears this same coach did this last year as well its time that BV red card her. BV need to look at who they select to coach the state teams. It should be a given that you can't coach a state team in the age group that you are a rep coach.It is understandable that her selection is questioned when she selects 7 of the girls in her rep team. There are lots of great coaches out there. I hope BV start looking for some new blood.

Reply #637788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Knox should of being the team to get a go at the Classic Title if this is the case or at least receive the silver medal. Seriously - how can this be going on and how and why are BV allowing it.

Reply #637817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every year, same whinging. It's not going to change. Move on, get better.
Not saying system is right.

Reply #637821 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

You are either a troll, or you are just not connected with this planet. Love the Knox girls but not good enough this time.
Bulleen deserved their win - full stop. And so what if the coach who volunteers her time and picks a few from her team for the state team. They are a top team - spanking everyone else for a reason. The team that got silver deserved their medal also. Victorian clubs should be more worried about their junior girls if this classic is anything to measure by. We all know it's 16s and above that matter. Flogging teams in12s and 14s is great while it lasts, but it doesn't last that long. Interstate teams catch up - refer 18 girls final, 16 girls final and Manly also super competitive in 16s, then 16 and 18 girls nationals. What are the other states doing better with there older girls when clearly the Victorian girls are so much better in 12s and 14s? The girls pathway obviously not working at club or state level.

Reply #637866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the selections were right. Havent dropped a game yet.

Reply #639861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or the other teams are just a lot weaker.

Reply #639863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams this year aren't good at all

Reply #639876 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754