Anonymous
Years ago

Junior Coaching Structures

Hi all

I Would like to get an idea on how coaches out there structure their training sessions.

For example is the 16.1s coach responsible for the entire squads training or does he/she only look after their own team.

We currently have the 1s coach oversee the age group and then coach all teams in a clinic like format for 1 hour on a Sunday.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer I would love to know what other coaches/clubs do.

Topic #41398 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

IMO, the 1's coach should oversee the whole age group and manage that programme. The situation should be that any player could go between grades and know the play structures etc. When all the teams are using different strategies it is not a good thing for that age group as it creates silos.

The 1's coach should manage their team of coaches and assistant coaches to ensure a consistent programme delivery. Use their strengths and abilities to work as a team. Essentially when you cut to the chase there are only a couple of key skills that players need (shooting, rebounding, ball handling, defence) and if the head coach for the group is smart they will work out who has the best teaching skills per skill in their coaching team and then challenge those coaches to identify who needs development.

In a team sport like basketball, a team approach works. As soon as you segregate the coaching message is diluted.

Reply #637976 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

club continues to make the div 1 coach in charge.
club should have a curriculum - and a bit depends on other coaches -if they are inexperienced they need help but if other coaches are good no need to change anything. Whether they all train together or not depends on numbers and facilities. Having been involved in both types - I prefer 1 session weekly for all teams together at a larger venue and then 1 other session just for 1 or 2 teams. This helps focus on team goals and also allows everyone to keep in touch. Div 1 coach should push Div 1 team and not get bogged down with new players - however it depends on your club and size of squad. IMO u10-12s should have a co-ordinator coach who doesn't take a team but oversees and guides all teams in that bracket and the div 1 coach an assistant age group co-ord. then a 14-16s group in a similar role.

Reply #637979 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754