interested
Years ago

Runners Up

No-one remember's second place, but does anyone have the top 5 place getters for the Halls/Woolacott medal?

Topic #4140 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Halls:

Kelson
Francis
Seward

Woollacott:

Forman
Wilson
Watson?

Can't remember order, but also in the ten were probably: Sullivan, Dix, Puddifoot, Phillips, Ng, Davis (I think), Gerlach. Sorry, hard to remember it. Maybe someone from BASA can post the names and votes of the top ten.

Reply #48024 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Would have thought Reggie Vandenburgh .. Would have polled well.. I saw most centrals game this season and he had a great year ... I gusse Jye took alot of his votes .. but still he must have been up there

Reply #48036 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Would have thought Reggie Vandenburgh .. Would have polled well.. I saw most centrals game this season and he had a great year ... I gusse Jye took alot of his votes .. but still he must have been up there

Reply #48037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For Dixy not to be in the top three is a disgrace!! If you disagree with that statement then you know nothing about the league or basketball in general.

Reply #48038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Either that or you understand how votes are allocated and are able to make simple calculations?

Reply #48045 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

LOL

That deserves a basketball icon Isaac . A pat on the back.

Reply #48047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cheers. Don't get me wrong, the HSA rating doesn't lie, and Dix had a superior season. But he missed some games. He lost crucial votes to Newley, Gange and (most importantly) Sullivan. A three vote is the maximum. You could get a three vote for (in the case of Paul Bauer against Woodville) turning a game but only scoring 18 points, or for a 24 and 10 in a low scoring game. Dix might get 30, 20 and 8 in a few games, but that's still three votes, not five! In the case of 10 votes being allocated, as I believe happens for the All*Star Five, Dix's play would win through, and it did -- he got Player of the Year and made the Five.

Also, with regard to the Woollacott, I suspect that Dix's scoring is mostly done quietly and inside whereas Oscar, Jye, Brad Sullivan, Wilson, Danny Phillips, etc are usually knocking down more noticeable shots and they polled solidly because of it. If refs are generally not looking at a stat sheet before casting votes, then they'll remember those big shots over the little putbacks. Note, for example, how poorly Matt "Putback" Elder polled despite posting very solid stats in most games.

Reply #48053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt really like the way in which the votes were shown. How come they didnt do the 3,2,1 votes like previous years?

Reply #48066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The count seemed to be read out pretty fast

Reply #48104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's much better when 3,2,1 is read out but understandably takes a lot longer

Reply #48105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, you know Dixy was robbed. The proof is on your own site.

Sabres v Eagles 18 Jun, Pasadena

Forman, Oscar 42 11 5/16 1/4 0/0 0 7 7 3 1 0 1 1 HSA 23.5

Dix, Jason 40 36 15/26 3/6 3/5 4 15 19 6 1 0 1 1 HSA 70.5

No contest! The stats don't lie.

Reply #48115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think you can on one game between two players to determine who should win the seasons best & fairest ... if you are, does that mean when someone matched up on Dix and had better stats, that they're deserving of the medal?

Reply #48117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok you're right. Here's his season stats:

42.0 24.8 48.8% 27.5% 71.6% 3.8 10.5 14.3 4.9 1.6 1.0 2.7 2.5 52.6

Still shits all over the next best!

Reply #48120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

48115, you will be pleased to know that BASA have recalled the Woollacott medal and will issue a new judgement based entirely on the June 18th game. There will be a new dinner held in the Dome basement on September 2nd (coincides with Adelaide United's first home game, the Sixers playing Perth, and a Flower Show) for $85 (only $10 more than last year). They'll run a very brief re-count featuring only that single game, and issue a new medal. Unfortunately, the winner's name will be spelt "JSAON DIX". And then someone will mention April 9 and we'll have to start all over again.

Here's a curious point: Jye Watson didn't receive the three-vote for his game against Forestville (50 points, 8 rebounds) despite shooting at more than 50% and hitting 13/14 free throws.

Reply #48125 | Report this post

Go O  
Years ago

I think you will all find that dix got 3 votes during that game v sturt anyways.
Jye Watson received two votes during the game when he scored 50 but the refs didnt look at the stats just went by who they felt was best.

Reply #48126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding Watson, well what does that tell you about the integrity of the voting then?

I'm worried if you honestly think that Dixy shouldn't have finished in the top 3.

Reply #48127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soon you'll try and tell me that Tim Smyth took votes off him in the Eastern game earlier in the year.

Reply #48129 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

re 48115 is there a reason you did not include the previous sabres v eagles game stats in your post.
No one denies Dix is a great player but to quote 1 game is weak. Try going to the Hoops stats and compare forman with Dix and there is a lot of similarities in most categories..with some favouring dix and some forman. Then consider their teams and the 3-2-1 voting criteria and the result is understandable.

Reply #48140 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Same reason why the Brownlow medal favourites don't always win, and the best person doesn't always win.

It has to do with who the player is competing with for votes, how games were won/lost, who was most in the umpires eyes on the night, and in the umpires eyes who was not only best on the night but was fairest (i.e. didn't piss off the umpires). All of those factors make it very hard to say that the favourite should win.

Ben Cousins could get a rude shock this year, because there are so many exceptional players in his team to take votes of him (take Judd for an example).

Reply #48141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flatshot - refer to post #48120. NC = no contest

Reply #48235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754