Boomers Fan
Years ago

Lakers trade Russell/Mozgov to Nets for Lopez/pick

DeAngelo Russell/Mozgov for Brook Lopez/pick 27

Like this trade for the Nets. Got a potential 10 year starting PG on the cheap. Not sure what they'll do with Mozgov, ie whether they play him or stretch him.

Giving up on DAR so early from the Lakers perspective is crazy, but if a package of pick 27/28 and one or both of Randle/Clarkson can get you PG13, then that softens the blow somewhat.

Topic #41415 | Report this topic

AKA  
Years ago

The key to this trade for the Lakers is the cap space cleared for 2017-2018 free agency period by getting rid of one of the worst contracts in the league in Mozgov's. Getting rid of DAR would indicate that Lonzo Ball will be drafted with pick 2 so it makes sense to make some room in the back court that is rather full. A win-win for both teams IMO

Reply #638150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mixed feelings on it. Great being able to get rid of Mozgov's contract, Lopez is a nice piece but getting older and has an expiring contract, while Russell was still a young number 2 pick with potential who they could have received more for imo in a trade that didn't involve the Mozgov contract.

Overall I think its a good trade given the circumstances (like AKA said the key was the salary dump), my frustration is just the fact they signed Mozgov to that contract in the first place. Considering that's the card the new front office was dealt with though, its a good trade being able to dump his contract. Just yeah, annoying that he was signed in the first place to that contract.

Brooklyn did well too to turn Lopez into a nice young PG that is an asset they can finally start a rebuild with and Mozgov won't affect them much. Pretty Win/Win trade overall.

Reply #638157 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'm not sure why the Lakers would give up anyone to get Paul George if he wants to go there at the end of the year anyway. I certainly would be keeping Randle.

Wouldn't surprise me if LA chases PG and Westbrook at the end of this season to make their own superteam. Rumours are they will chase PG and LeBron but I reckon they'll try hard to get Westbrook.

Reply #638184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers are making some really poor choices imo.

Ball would be another terrible choice.

Need a hard worker like fox.

Reply #638185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers think the Magic will turn them around from a basketcase. Let's wait and see. He's a name/businessman but not really an exec.

Reply #638190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wondering if Magic will be to the Lakers what Jackson is to the Knicks. Time will tell.

Reply #638200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#638185 have you actually watched Ball play? He was a significant player last year. He has the tool and skills to replicate that in the NBA. He doesnt have to be a 20ppg a scorer he just has to be a facilitator and leader on the court. He can do both of those with ease. Fox is great as well, but he doesnt run an offense as well as Ball does.

Reply #638238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wonder how much of any attitude towards Ball is almost entirely because of his father? Never seen him play, so maybe he is unlikeable there, but he wouldn't be projected highly unless he was capable.

Reply #638246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is a stud, media looking to make him look dumb because of his dad.

Reply #638255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst Ball could be a very good player, imo I think Lavar has done the biggest smokescreen ever, others have better potential to be better stars like Fox and Jackson, but seniors antics has everyone talking about him and not junior. But somehow he's been pegged as number 2 pick, but recently it looks like Lakers are figuring out he may not be worth it. Great passer, but does that make him significantly better than some of the others.

Reply #638275 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

If anything, I was under the impression that he was rated higher before everyone got to know his old man..

Fairly sure he'll go to the lakers after the trade they made.

Reply #638280 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Yup.

Reply #638283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:41 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754