Isaac
Years ago

Bullets interested in Travis Trice

BRISBANE have opened talks with reigning Taipans MVP Travis Trice about switching south to the Bullets for the 2017-18 NBL season.

The Cairns Post can reveal the Bullets are actively pursuing the import point guard to run Bullets' coach Andrej Lemanis’ offence next season.
It is understood the Bullets are keen to add "quickness and impact" to their point guard position with one Bullets official describing Trice’s fit as “perfect” with the club.

If Trice does link up with the newest NBL club, he would add to the signing of new import Stephen Holt, who was a standout for Melbourne United in the 2015-16 NBL season, averaging almost 16 points and four assists a game.
Full story

Topic #41439 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Would make them a bit loaded with pg's wouldn't it...Holt is the only one who could really play SG and where does that Leave Gibson & Bruce?

Thought they would have gone for more of a SG/SF and a big to replace Bairstow.

Reply #638494 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

The few games I watched of Trice last year I think he could play off the ball. He played college ball with Denzel Valentine, who was a ball dominant player, and that wasn't much of an issue for him.

Reply #638495 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are Gibson and Bruce still signed?

Reply #638500 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

I believe so. I think the Bullets need a Shooting Guard personally with Holt, Gibson & Bruce. Someone like Ramone Moore would fit well in my opinion

Reply #638502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I originally read the topic as "Bulls interested in..." and thought WTF??

Reply #638506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like this as a potential signing. I have doubts Gibson will stay healthy from this time on, moving forward, calf injuries usually spell father time is rocking up. Trice gives you immediate impact and knowing the league always helps. Trice, Craig and Holt not a bad import combo at all if they can pull that trio off.

Reply #638513 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Trice will be their main shooting guard playing the role Mills plays for the Boomers, that's the type of player they were missing last year in Lemanis' system. But Gibson and Holt are also combo guards so they will have versatility.

Reply #638547 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Does Andrej run the same sets as he does with the Boomers? That was some beautiful basketball

Reply #638550 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I went on and on all last season about how I don't like him. He's mentally weak and passes up the big shots, constantly batches and whines and is maddeningly inconsistent.

From what I saw of him he's also a massive twat. Who turns up at the club fans Xmas party in their old college gear and then ignores everyone who wants to come over and say hi? Better off in Brisbane I say.

Reply #638724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say hello to someone that doesn't like me either. And how dare he wear what he wants to.

Reply #638738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bullets have now signed him.. check davidpick twitter

Reply #638744 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I'm with CT on this. Trice may be better off under a coach that doesn't expect as much of his PG as Fearne, but I agree he's soft. I don't think CT was suggesting Trice only ignored CT, either. I wasn't at the "do", but I understand he was pretty aloof.

Fearne basically suggested if Trice came back looking for a roster spot, he'd have him, but there was no way Fearne was going after Trice.

I hope and trust he comes up with a great PG import for this season!

Reply #638804 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

By the way, is there any official notice of this, yet?

Reply #638805 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

How long are the Bullets going to persist with a strategy of only recruiting promising but flawed existing nbl players from other teams? Are they genuinely allergic to scouting new talent? I don't get it. Do they expect to take a streaky inconsistent player like Torrey Craig, Adam Gibson or Travis Trice and coach an exceptional performance out of him every game? At this rate they'll have Jason Cadee as captain when his contract at the Kings expires.

Those 'meet the fans' are always a bit awkward, the only people who are ever really into it are the marketing team and Alex Loughton. But you know, it's 2 hours out of your life to hang out with a bunch of people who pay your wages because they love what you do so much. Just smile and shake some hands, it's not rocket science. When you finally get to the Nba you won't have to do it anymore, until then grow up, say hi to my kids and stop being such a little bitch.

Reply #638817 | Report this post

XP€N$IV  
Years ago

Bullets are merely a placeholder team so their recruiting makes sense. "Don't rock the boat."

Reply #638821 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Trice may be better off under a coach that doesn't expect as much of his PG as Fearne"

Lemanis' most successful seasons relied on a PG called Cedric Jackson. What is it about Lemanis that makes you think the PG position is not critical to success to him?

Reply #638834 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Trice, Craig and Holt not a bad import combo at all if they can pull that trio off.

Heard rumours that Craig may not return after his SL stint. He's cleaned out his place and taking away everything. Either he's ultra confident of securing an NBA roster spot or something is up. I thought he planned on getting naturalized?

Reply #638838 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

I heard similar things CT, unfortunately.

I can't fault you analysis of his game either. I think a lot of his deficiencies will improve as he matures, I hope so anyways becuase he’s damn talented.

There was a letter to the editor in today’s paper about it that was amusing too....

Reply #638841 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Lovebroker: "Lemanis' most successful seasons relied on a PG called Cedric Jackson. What is it about Lemanis that makes you think the PG position is not critical to success to him?"

It's not so much that I think the PG is not as critical to Lemonass as it is to Fearne, rather that I think Fearne is harder on his PG than Lemonass.

Reply #638859 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

So what's with the Bullets roster, now? They have Holt, Trice, Gibbo, Bruce and Matt Kenyon to man the two guard spots, Craig* and Te Rangi at 3, Kickert and Petrie at 4, then Jervis and Young at 5, with Bairstow to make his return (possibly) at some stage.

How do they line up?
Holt/Bruce
Trice/Gibbo/Kenyon
Craig*/Te Rangi
Kickert/Petrie
Jervis/Young

That's 11 players, so either: one of Bruce, Kenyon, Te Rangi or Young is not signed for this year, or Bairstow is not coming back... then there's the other option, which is the asterisk beside Craig's name. Maybe he's not coming back. Then who's gonna play 3?

Reply #638861 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bairstow isn't coming back. There was a story a few weeks ago, his return wouldjbe so late in the year that they're not going to try and bring him in.

Reply #638863 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

With all due respect to the Bullets front line but without Bairstow fit, that front line is not a playoff making front line.

The only positive thing is Jervis may get the minutes he left Perth to get. But it seems towards the latter half of last season that Lemanis gave Young more opportunities.

Reply #638865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754