Andrew
Years ago

Complete Historical NBL Stats

I've finally finished building my historical NBL database and thought you guys might be interested in having a look.

The database contains every stat line for every NBL player in every NBL game since the league's formation in 1979

It's available for free over at https://www.spatialjam.com/nbl-historical-stats

The database also includes advanced stats, per 36 numbers, team stats and has a Player Career Tracker. There is a bunch of other functionality in there too.

Hopefully, it fills a gap in the market at the moment, where we've never been able to find and query our league's history, except through RealGM (back only a few seasons and their metrics are incorrect for a number of them) or the notoriously hard-to-navigate NBL website.

Topic #41444 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Andrew you are the best!

Shame on us Aussies - it took a Kiwi to get it done.

Reply #638518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No love for this? Odd. We've been screaming out for this forever.

Reply #638532 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

pretty awesome mate! I might just delete my massive Excel Spreadsheet of Crocs stats and data...

Reply #638533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rod you retired from being a DJ?

Reply #638536 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Thank you, Thank you, thank you Andrew, a huge task , and one done purely for the fact that someone needed to do it before it was far too late, and so you made it happen as a volunteer. well done, the NBL , and all past and future owners/clubs owe you a lifetime free pass to all games , but....

make sure you have something in there that names you as the author.

Reply #638538 | Report this post

Danny Green  
Years ago

What a resource! Cancel my plans, I might be here for a while

Reply #638540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pretty sad that it took someone outside the league to get it done. This information is a key bit of the league's history!

Reply #638541 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBL has always been shithouse at making old stats accessible to the public and in the 25+ years I've been following the league they were never going to get their act together in regard to this so well done Andrew!

Reply #638545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac what happen to that database from the old NBL stats site? I rememebr you had it in a zip file but then it disappeared and everyone forgot about it.

Reply #638552 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Andrew, you are an absolute legend! Top work!

Reply #638561 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac what happen to that database from the old NBL stats site? I rememebr you had it in a zip file but then it disappeared and everyone forgot about it.
It was up somewhere and then I moved servers and never fixed the URLs. It was a partial resource, so a bit pointless now that Andrew has this.

Reply #638562 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL has always been shithouse at making old stats accessible to the public
I'm not sure it's even possible to get boxscores from last season.

Reply #638564 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Right here...

http://www.nbl.com.au/fixtures-results/?roundNumber=1&theYear=2016&matchType=REGULAR

Reply #638565 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Credit where credit is due....

All boxscores from 1979 to 2014/15 can be found here...

http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?client=0-189-12314-327335-0&pool=1&action=ROUND&round=1

All boxscores from 2015/16 and 2016/17 can be found here...

http://www.nbl.com.au/fixtures-results/?roundNumber=1&theYear=2016&matchType=REGULAR

Reply #638566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no surprise another incorrect kr post. Thanks Lukosius.

Reply #638568 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nothing I said was incorrect.

Reply #638569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No but the implication was that you were right. Same diff.

Reply #638570 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Thanks guys for the kind feedback.

Definitely was a huge task - I'm going to clean up the code I used to do it and put it up on Github so others in the community can help to grow and build on this project as well as replicate the work if they want to in the future

I'm obviously not looking to make any money from this (no one would get into NBL stats to get rich), I believe it should be an open and free part of NBL history. Just happy to contribute to the NBL fan community in some small way.

Also, @anonymous1 I basically consider myself an Aussie when it comes to basketball now anyway - I wear green & gold for Boomers games, so happy to share the credit between the two countries!

Reply #638571 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Sensational effort mate. I know of official NBL stats people that have had a lot of difficulty getting box scores out of the NBL, you have done very well.

May I pass on my thanks.

Reply #638573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic!!!!!

Reply #638574 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

This is tly amazing!! Outstanding work Andrew. The NBL should be slinging lifetime court side tickets to all games your way!!!!

Reply #638578 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I could not count the number of times I have wanted this level of information to satisfy a curiosity or resolve an argument! Great work, Andrew.

It is such a bad reflection on the NBL, past and present, that you have had to do this as a volunteer.

Reply #638583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a reflection of the NBL but also the NBL's fans. Very poor out there in terms of NBL content.

Reply #638586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazingly brilliant job, and thanks a lot. Does it get updated as the season progresses, and if not the Nbl should continue to up date it. Once again thank you.

Reply #638589 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's a reflection of the NBL but also the NBL's fans.
It shouldn't be the fans' job.

No but the implication was that you were right. Same diff.
No, the implication was exactly what I said: I wasn't sure if they were available. Either due to the awful navigation on the website, or the information having been removed. Evidently it turns out to be the former.

Reply #638591 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I find this pretty good..
One time ago phil smyth wanted his name removed , so you lose information like this...

Reply #638592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now now Camel are we allowed to say his name I thought we had to use the code word Voldemort.

Reply #638594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it isn't the fan's job but aside from boxscores/complete archive out of all sports and leagues I follow NBL has the worst fan-generated content online. and a lot that is out there is sloppy as well. There are ppl that live on here or other hoops forums but don't contribute one bit to anything even editing wiki to improve NBL info out there.

Reply #638595 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tweeted this earlier, but the nearest active player to Andrew Gaze's record of NBL minutes played is 13,000 minutes behind. They'd have to play 11+ seasons of 28 games and 40 MPG just to catch him. The nearest past player (Ronaldson) still fell 1,000 minutes short (1-2 seasons).

Reply #638602 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Thank you Andrew,

I always enjoyed the Mark Davis and Bruce Bolden battles back in the day and always thought Pud was the much better player.

I was surprised to see Mark Davis and Bruce Bolden were very similar in a number of statistical categories.

Jonah has further reason to visit Hoops.com.au now.

Reply #638645 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

All boxscores from 2015/16 and 2016/17 can be found here...

How did you find that? I spent about half an hour looking through the NBL site to try and find it before giving up and digging up this thread.

Reply #640737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly a lot smarter.

Reply #640738 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Of course, the problem couldn't possible be with the league.

Absolutely pathetic.

Reply #640938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a couple of games in round 2 like that too (314700, 314702). I think they changed versions of the stats package that week and had lots of problems. Unfortunately, the league doesn't seem to think that they should be fixed.

Reply #640942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754