Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings invited to Atlas Challenge

Kings off to China for an invitational with a few seabl players and the Indian guy who trialled in the NBL Combine.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-invited-to-atlas-challenge-in-china-will-trial-several-free-agents-20170628-gx0giy.html

Topic #41453 | Report this topic

Wookiee  
Years ago

I like the idea of being able to trial players, but you gotta think that not many are actually in real consideration?

Very much looking forward to seeing Toly back in the purple and gold but with Blanchfield, we're all full up at his spot... It's a really good chance for Dane to show what he's got and I hope he treats it as an audition for more playing time...

Otherwise you'd think that only Hooley could be a chance, maybe Singh, if they get a really good starting 5 and want to take a flyer on him... Some discussion elsewhere on why they would add an American import in Raivio, especially one as random as him...

Reply #638666 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

IMHO only 1 of the 4 regular roster spots left would be up for grabs by these guys. The rest may have to settle for offers of DP spots.

The ones that do well in the challenge will get invited to the pre-seasons for final evaluation so no guarantees if any will make the final roster.

Nice to see Liam Thomas given a chance. Skillwise no doubt he can play in the NBL but I'm not sure if he would physically be able to handle the strength of NBL centres nowadays.

Looking at Bose and Muo is a bit odd since no shortage at 2 and 3 with their current lineup but I suspect they are preparing for the possibility of Ellis getting picked up, hence the talks about Hakim Warrick, etc.

Much still depends on their choice for starting C. Saw quite a few interesting names on the Orlando SL that Gaze will be heavily scouting. One that stood out to me and someone that Gaze would hone in on was Eric Mika. His game is very similar to Mark Bradtke.

Reply #638670 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Thomas will never be a beast, but he's learned to compensate for that. And he is loooong! Natural shot blocker. I have no doubt he could be a backup centre in the NBL

Reply #638675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomas stats as senior in a weak conference are very average for a 7"er, take away blocks and not much there.

Reply #638689 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Thomas' role was mainly to protect the rim, not much plays were run for him so his scoring looked meh. He's a pretty efficient scorer ala Pineau when he got the opportunity. Rebounding numbers could be higher but no surprise its affected by his shot blocking and slight frame.

Reply #638708 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anybody know of a link where the results of this comp are?

I'm interested to see how a few of the Kings players went.

The tournament is finished but can't seem to find anything online about it.

Reply #640993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings won the tournament beating Lithuania in the Final.

Reply #640996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney went 5-0. Some teams they faced were national teams which were weak nations (Qatar, Ukraine). Other teams they played were just random selection teams ("USA All Stars" & "Lithuania All Stars").

Reply #641008 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:28 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754