Anonymous
Years ago

Paul George to OKC Thunder

Looks like a one year rental, didn't give up much to get him, but can he coexist with Westbrook?

Topic #41458 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

As a Celtics fan, I'm disappointed, because I would love to have seen George on my team. But Ainge did the right thing in not offering the farm for a guy who probably wouldn't commit to signing with the team long-term.

On the other hand its worth the gamble for the Thunder I think. They don't lose any important pieces and if they somehow manage to convince George to stay as well as Westbrook, then they can be a top 3 team in the West for several years!

As an added bonus, they get rid of Oladipo's horrible four years @ $84 mill. I doubt he'll ever earn that contract!

Reply #638726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Celtics are going all in for Howard, perfect fit for both, definite threat to take the east, are young and has ties with, my opinion the best coach in league who his players love.
But Pacers fans must be thinking WTF, surely they could have at least gotten Russell instead along with Mozgovs terrible contract, Lakers could have gotten him a year early and given him no doubt. What if OKC make a run and he likes it there(unlikely) but why take the chance. And now losing Teague, say hello to lottery.
Haven't seen so many superstars traded for bit players before, Butler, George, Paul, First overall pick, and whilst nowhere near even a star, huge potential in Russell for the worst rebounding centre of all time, but that was mainly to get rid of ridiculous contact. .

Reply #638729 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hayward is definitely the Celtics #1 target. He is a good fit for Boston, but I personally think George is a slightly better player. I certainly like George going toe to toe with Lebron more than I like Hayward!

I agree that this new era of trading stars for extremely poor returns seems strange! I guess it mostly comes down to several forced sale situations, with the Kings and Pacers both backed into the corner (the Bulls backed themselves into an imaginary corner).

Still, the Celtics supposedly made better offers at certain points for both Butler and George. Either the Celtics didn't really make those offers, or the Pacers and Bulls decided they would rather take a worse offer than make Boston into a contender!

If the Celtics miss out on Hayward, I like the idea of trading for Derrick Favors. He's entering the final year of his contract and if Utah pays Hayward, they will be into a lot of luxury tax. Could be a cheap buy and if he can stay healthy, Favors would give that extra bit of rebounding and rim protection the Celtics are lacking.

Reply #638731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*sorry, Hayward.

Reply #638739 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754