http://media.heraldsun.com.au/1718V2.pdf

Topic #41474 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a preseason and if so where.

Reply #638871 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Look like all the bitching from Cairns fans paid off, Taipans are the new charity case with 9 Friday or Saturday games.

The Sixers and Cairns have the most Saturday night games. NZ has no Saturday night games and Sydney have no Friday night ones.

Somehow NZ ended up with 5 Thursdays and 5 Sundays.

Melbourne are the only team with Monday and Tuesday games.

Perth have the most Friday or Saturday night games with 11 of 14.

Reply #638872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tuesday game is boxing day for united and will be easy sell out so dosent really count.

What's very strange is united @ Adelaide 2 times in first 2 weeks

Reply #638873 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Same as illawarra in Perth twice in a fortnight and I'm not a fan playing the same team in a weekend.

Reply #638874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two triple headers!

Reply #638876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bizarre fixture for the 36ers in the first 4 Rounds.

Melbourne twice at home Round 1 and 2
Cairns Twice away Round 2 and 4
Sydney twice away/home Round 1 and 3

Reply #638881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be two bye rounds during November 20-28 and February 19-27 so players can be available for FIBA World Cup qualifying matches.

Reply #638882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne spending a lot time in a plane for the first four rounds, not an easy start.

Reply #638884 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

KPMG helped out hey?

Reply #638885 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The NBL fixture has always been like a woman - very difficult to understand.

Just looking at the Adelaide fixture, the first two rounds are double rounds. If the team is not prepared, it could be very easy to be 0-4. Round 5 is a double away game with game 1 in NZ and then game 2 in Melbourne gives the WAGs an opportunity to shop, or the boys to bring them home something from DFO.

We don't play Brisbane until round 8. By that time, Brisbane would have either imploded with injury, or the crafty old buggers are top of the table.

I must admit I do like the Christmas Eve game.

Rounds 15 and 17 are flip-flop rounds. We host Illawarra, then sit next to them on the plane, share a Uber down to Steel City and give them another beating.... In round 17 we fly to Perth, then fly commercially back while the Wildcats fly in the Perth Corporate Jet enjoying fresh lobster caught that morning from Alan Bond's private lobster farm.

However, like all other seasons, I'm sure it is going to be a very tight season with final placings being finalised in the last round.

Reply #638888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL fixture has always been like a woman - very difficult to understand."

♥♥♥♥

To be fair though they do have to deal with numerous venues not being available during certain periods of time (Aus Open in Melbourne, Hopman Cup in Perth, other concerts that get priority, etc.) within a very short season.

Reply #638895 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

Dont mind the Sixers fixture but am a little confused about playing Melbourne at home twice within the first two weeks.

Reply #638916 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Cairns proved last year that the fixture doesn't have to mean all that much if the team is mentally tough, ignores the ladder and focuses on the next game.

Of course I'm only saying that because we didn't get fucked again like last year.

Reply #638924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans were royally screwed last season and had every right to complain. Good to see they were taken care of at last.

Reply #638926 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

This is the problem the NBL teams face when fixturing.

The venues are shared ones where they're booked way in advance.

The NBL needs long ternm stability and then can book venues more in advance.

Reply #638927 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Venue scheduling is always going to be a problem, and here in Cairns ours could get a whole lot worse. There is a big expansion planned for the Convention Centre, as many conferences etc want to come here but the venue is just not big enough for them.

Down the track we will have a bigger CCC, which will attract more dates, which will probably impact on availability for home games but generate more income for the city.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Reply #638929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Adelaide is the only venue with a decent amount of flexibility.

Reply #638937 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

If the NBL teams can show true long term stability .. then they can bok venues further ahead than now.

Lets say contracts for some venues aside ( eg Aus Open for Hisense ) that to get a desired date for a game the NBL would need to book a year in advance ( spitballing here) ... then in future if clubs are more secure in long term viability then the NBL could look at booking venues say 18 months or longer in advance, hence getting an overall fixture that is more fan & club friendly.

Reply #639012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm no.

Concerts etc. generate way more revenue and will always get first preference. Stop "spitballing"!

Reply #639029 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

You don't reckon its 1st in best dressed?

Reply #639044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Concerts etc. generate way more revenue and will always get first preference"

I'd say whoever books it first has first preference. I've never heard of any NBL game being moved or postponed just because the venue wanted to book a concert for the same night instead.

Reply #639045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not first in, best dressed exactly.

But also once you are booked in they don't move you obviously.

It's not black or white. Shades of grey - if there is a huge tour coming to Australia obviously provisionally there will be dates greyed out to accommodate a headline act. So no matter if the NBL come in first there would be dates provisionally not available to them. Most NBL teams nowadays are on discounted rental rates as they learned from the overspending of the past, so they are not the priority for stadia.

Reply #639047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stadium bookings are made well in advance. Tours may be announced to the public just before tickets are released but they've been locked in 12 months prior to that.

NBL Clubs would be given a long list of dates at some venues that they can't have. And the later the draw is released the longer that list will get.

But a concert will always get preference over a potential NBL game and many venues would list a Fri or Sat as not available expecting another event to take it up and generate more revenue.

Reply #639048 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

OK. Here's my scenario,...

I want to book Stadium A for Friday night in 2 years time. Lets say its Friday the 5th.

Stadium A has NO bookings for that date & there is no contractual obligation like tennis or the like for that date to be greyed out.

Can the NBL then lock in for that date & be guaranteed that date ?

Reply #639050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't know what headline acts coming from abroad are going to be here in two years time, usually announced at the most a year in advance.

So no.

Reply #639053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct the stadium would not take an NBL booking two years out.

You have to drop the first in first serve logic. It doesn't apply.

Reply #639054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But once you are booked in they don't move you obviously"

Hmmmm, if only there was another way of saying that, that shows that if you get in first, you come away with the best outcome.

Reply #639075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes well der but read above.

There are dates provisionally not available no matter how early an NBL club asks for it.

Reply #639085 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

But thats also the crux of my point.

I know certain dates will always be greyed out ( eg Aus Open etc) .. but if a stadium says that say, Friday the 5th is open, the NBL/NBL team book the stadium, pay what they need to to lock it in.... its locked in.

ok.. so maybe 2 years is ambitious.. but surely the NBL can find a timeline where they can get better dates by booking a little bit further in advance than what they currently do .. even allowing for greyed out dates?

To me ... that would be long term stability of all clubs involved, not expanding the league just becausde of some short term success( a failure that killed the growth of the early 90s), & using that long term stability in future to secure better dates for a more even draw.

Reply #639103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arena's generally are run by companies owned by or with close connections to big business, governments, media organisations, tour promoters etc.

They're very well aware of the income an NBL game generates vs that of a concert, conference, trade show, other sporting event etc.

Arena management simply wouldn't confirm a date if they thought there was potential to get another event that would make more money.

It's not about the NBL being viable, they have contracts with Clubs that would have to be met by someone. It's about the x amount of fans and how much of a cut the venue gets from ticket sales, merch, retail sales vs the income they can generate from something else.

Sport has limited income. Patrons will show up to find their seat, purchase limited food/drink pre game. Buy nothing until half time (maybe quarter time) and that's it. Ticket prices are low in comparison to major events.

Corporate support for an NBL game (corporate boxes, generally owned and sold by the venue but varies) would also be key.

There's also significant bump in and out (at entertainment centres) for such as small return.

Compare that to a concert which would have big pre event retail sales followed by constant alcohol sales, lots of merch, higher ticket prices, guaranteed turnout, no season ticket allocations and high support as an event from corporate investors and box owners meaning bigger sales of said boxes and expensive (big margin) food and drinks.

As a business running an entertainment venue which event do you think would get preference?

If the NBL/Melbourne United went to Melbourne & Olympic Parks management and said we want these dates 18months out the response they'd get is we're not ready to confirm that, put a tentative booking in and bump it out as soon as they get someone bigger.

Reply #639112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Joe please stop posting - you simply don't get it.

Excellent post in contrast Anon #639112 !

Reply #639133 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Both arguments are correct to a degree.

Yes, if NBL teams are able to request dates further in advance than currently they will get some better dates. No, they won't be able to get all dates they want because they're not at the top the pecking order.

Reply #639135 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

At least its a full explanation.

Only Anon #639112 has put everything into context.

It now makes sense as the arenas don't just make money outta renting the venue.

Simply saying "I don't get it" without a qualifier is not a full expalantion.
Simply saying , " Stop with the 1st in best dressed and any other vague answers is not a full explanation.

Reply #639137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Err what? Many of the anons above the last anon explained it. You're just not that bright and stubborn.

Reply #639147 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Show me who has given as good an explanation as Anon #639112?

I accounted for "greyed out" dates, I accounted for contractual arrangemenst ( such as Aus Open).

Anon #639112 gave a full explanation rather than the vague stuff others did.

If I was stubborn I would've stuck to "my guns" regardless of what Anon #639112 had said.

Reply #639161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

/block Southern Joe

Reply #639162 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Uh huh....

So says the person that won't even put a username to their post ....

Reply #639163 | Report this post

I like his jokes

Reply #639164 | Report this post

Northern Joe  
Years ago

ok now I have a name to my posts

I moved up north from Sydney and love teh Kings and tip them in every single game!!!

Reply #639166 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Now at least you're being entertaining.

well done.

Peace.

Reply #639171 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The times for the fixture have been released, and by the looks of the weekly 5.30pm Saturday and 3pm Sunday games between capital city teams I'd guess that's where the NBL is looking to be on FTA this year.

Probably smart doing 5.30pm Saturday if true, in a little window before a lot of other evening sports start.

Reply #644421 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Not so good for some.

My son plays his domestic basketball at either 4.35, 5.25 or 6.15.... so that'd be a game he misses.

7.30 at least gives people who work till 5pm ( ie .. retail) a chance to at least go home, shower, change & get to the venue.

5.30 still clashes with NRL/AFL arvo games.

Reply #644564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't leave many timeslots to play games then. When are they supposed to play? Never?

Reply #644589 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

5.30 still clashes with NRL/AFL arvo games.
...what?

Reply #644595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newsflash: Every timeslot has other events happening at the same time.

Reply #644606 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

No NRL or AFL arvo games when season starts on 5th Oct SJ. AFL GF is 30th Sept and NRL GF 1st Oct.

Reply #644625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ SJ

Reply #644631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two triple headers:

Sunday 22 October
Sunday 28 February

Very nice.

I like how now most Sundays have double headers compared to the one game last season.

Reply #644709 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754