Lonzo4Life
Years ago

Dante Exum: make or break year??

To me, with his recent Summer League outing, Exum is showing some promise but likely will be stuck behind Rubio for most of the season. If all falls over this year, do the Jazz persist with him or let him go??

Topic #41481 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

If it falls over I think they let him go. It's not a great vote of confidence they're making a guy heading into his 4th year with the team play summer league.

Reply #638918 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

His injuries and playing time lost mean he pretty much has to prove himself again, hence SL.

I don't see his SL stint as a reflection on him and his skills.

Reply #638938 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah I think it might be a make or break year for Dante. The Jazz have to make him a qualifying offer at the start of next season if they want to hold onto his rights. He needs to convince them they should pay at least $6 mill per season for him. He showed good signs in his Summer League game yesterday, being aggressive from the start and making threes and jumpshots off the dribble, which was a known weakness. As the commentator said, he still hasn't got a strong enough left hand dribble, which is a worry for a guy who wants to play point guard!

Reply #638948 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I think they trade him closer to deadline. Either he starts getting some good stats up and they try to get something good in return or he does jack shit still and becomes a salary dump

Reply #638958 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Might be make or break in terms of if he has real starter/impact potential and the money that goes with that, but as a 3&D guy I don't see him out of the league any time soon, if he stays healthy.

Reply #638966 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Don't you need to be able to hit the 3 to be a 3&D guy though?

Reply #638995 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think both teams have got money on the other.

Reply #638998 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

He should really be called a defence and drive player. He will be around the league for a while because:
- length and quickness.
- already a quality defender (points conceded per 100 possession etc).
- He's coachable and hard working, which scouts and GMs like.

He came into the league in 2014/15 not match fit (he couldn't play in an organised league since his stock would drop). ACL tear, then rehab to gain confidence, last year was his real rookie year.

My name is not Cecil Exum and my bank balance is not increasing as we speak. Speak to anyone educated on his situation stateside (Fran Fraschilla for instance) and they will tell you likewise.

Reply #639000 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

My name is not Cecil Exum

That's a relief I was about to ask you if you have been dunked on by Andrew Gaze.

Reply #639001 | Report this post

JamesJohn  
Years ago

yea make or break defs......

people seem to forget he is only 21!
guys were drafted this season older than exum
he will play back up to rubio and i hope he is horrible
so another team will sign him and hopefully use him correctly

Reply #639018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was a mystery going in and got drafted based on a few junior games then got put in hiding. No real surprise he hasn't progressed based on that especially with sitting out with injury. If he does nothing by all star break expect him to be filler in trade if jazz decide to tank. Then might bounce around a year before united sign him.

Reply #639020 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its definitely never a good sign that he's playing summer league again, but it is a good sign that he appears to have taken it well and embraced the challenge of proving himself once again.

I think he'll be able to stick around for a few years even if he doesn't quite break out this season. He still has some great physical tools and there will be teams willing to buy low on a guy that still hsd the chance to work on his short comings (Michael Carter Williams was truly awful last season and still found a home early in the free agency market for this season).

Concerns are still around his lack of aggression at the top level and lack of playmaking. In the end he may end up being used as a secondary creator wing. But he'll need to at least sure up that 3 ball to be sure of that.

In the end I think he'll find himself a role. He may not end up being the star we were hoping for, but he seems to have the right mindset and determination now (along with those physical tools)

Reply #639027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly a few unfortunate compounding factors outside of his control which have led him to his position at the moment. That being said I think he was also drafted higher than he really should've been. There was a lot of hype and a lot more unknown about him at the time, and Gordon Hayward still hadn't really broken out and the Jazz made the right call to take a chance to pick him up when they did.

Would like to see him spend some time in the NBL in a few years.

Reply #639035 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

Looked Good again. 26 Points, 5 Rebounds and 10 Assists against Philly and Markelle Fultz today. Also, Fultz had 6 turnovers so defense must have been pretty good

Reply #639036 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dante Exum dominated Wednesday's 100-94 win vs. the Sixers' Summer League squad, double-doubling with 26 points on 9-of-16 shooting, three 3-pointers, five rebounds and 10 assists in 29 minutes.
Exum looked far more polished than the competition, which is exactly what Utah wanted to see from their 2014 lottery pick. "He's not the young guy anymore," Utah Jazz Summer League coach Alex Jensen said. "It's time. You've got to stand out." Exum passed the initial test but he still has plenty to prove before demanding fantasy owners' attention. Jul 5 - 11:20 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NBA/2282

Reply #639037 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754