Zodiac
Years ago

36ers sign first Indian Vishesh Bhriguvanshi

ADELAIDE 36ers have signed Indian national captain Vishesh Bhriguvanshi - a.k.a "VB9" - to their extended roster for the 2017-18 NBL season.

Bhriguvanshi, 25 and a 192cm guard, will attend the Dream Basketball Academy during his season in Adelaide, just as new Oklahoma City Thunder guard/forward Terrance Ferguson did through 2016-17.

And he is expected to be on the roster when the Sixers head to Singapore for the Merlion Cup in September.

Bhriguvanshi is the historic first Indian player to be signed by an NBL club and will not only participate in the Dream Basketball Academy's 2017-18 program and train with the 36ers but will be eligible to play if he replaces an injured player.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/36ers-to-be-turban-charged/

Topic #41486 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dream Basketball Academy?

Reply #639093 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's a pretty smart player this guy, sees the game well and can really make some nice passes and also finish inside in traffic at times.

Not a good shooter though and, unless he's improved a lot since I last saw him in 2015, then he's got a lot of work to do to reach NBL-level fitness.

Reply #639096 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

This is a great initiative of the NBL; I think it will help to improve the awareness of the NBL in Asian countries, as players have a larger goal to aspire to than playing in their own national comp, and it may well bring some really good players out of the woodwork over the years. I don't expect it will happen overnight, but as Rachael Hunter famously said, "Ut wool hippun."

Reply #639097 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Streaky shooter but his speed and aggressive drives fits in well with the Sixers lineup. Good pickup for DP spot.

Reply #639098 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

Yes. Again, I see this as more of a signing to market within India and become more known to get some publicity. Pretty smart use of a DP spot and the Sixers again the first ones to pounce on a new marketing opportunity

Reply #639099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and the Sixers again the first ones to pounce on a new marketing opportunity"

What?

Reply #639102 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Why would it be bad to use the bloke as a marketing strategy? You hate sell out stadiums or something lol

Reply #639108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't say it was bad. Just wondering where the Sixers have previously been the first to pounce on a marketing opportunity.

Reply #639114 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah I read it the wrong way. If they get him involved with the local Indian community especially doing some basketball clinics I can see a nice group coming out to the games regularly.

Reply #639115 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Unlikely as there is very little chance that he will ever see any court time.

As I read Boti's article he will not be suiting once the season starts unless it is as an injury replacement.

Reply #639116 | Report this post

MattyG  
Years ago

Even without actual playing minutes, his community engagement, and linking the sixers to the Indian community will be valuable in getting bums on seats

Reply #639117 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon...I think Lonzo may be referring to the Fergusson experiment?

Reply #639118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe the ignorant title to this article.

'36ers to be turban-charged'

The dude's from Varinasi he doesn't even wear a turban. No need to be so reductive.

We need to do better than this racist crap, especially if we're wanting to further welcome different cultures to our league.

Reply #639119 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

I was referring to the Ferguson experiment. And that Title has been overlooked by alot of people

Reply #639121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another tacky media grab by the 36ers. Did any one hear this guy is Indian!? And he is a training/development player level too... but he is Indian! Never forget he is Indian.

Reply #639123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #639119 relax ffs. Boti is always coming up with lame puns. Not racist, just lame!

Reply #639124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Another tacky media grab by the 36ers. Did any one hear this guy is Indian!? And he is a training/development player level too... but he is Indian! Never forget he is Indian."

this made me LOL. oh, and very true. oh btw did you hear he is Indian? :P

Reply #639125 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A bit of a stretch to call the turban pun racist. Clearly we have a member of the perpetual outrage police among us. I am pretty sure people in India have made lame puns about Australians before.

Reply #639131 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Too right. I'm glad I didn't make the suggestion that was in my head about sponsorship opportunities with 7-11
Oh wait...

Reply #639140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah Sixers are tied up with On the Run ;)

Reply #639151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this spot could be used to develop an actual australian who one day may actually get on the court for the 36ers, someones getting rich out of it and its the yank promoting himself and his company with the help of his yank mates at the 36ers

Reply #639488 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Business attempts to make money! Film at 11.

Reply #639494 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754