Anonymous
Years ago

Opals squad announced

http://basketball.net.au/opals-team-named-with-additions-to-coaching-staff-to-contest-2017-fiba-asia-cup/

Lavey
Mansfield
Ebzery
Garrick
Snell
Cumming
Blicavs
Griffin
Hodges
Bishop
Tolo
Bunton

Topic #41488 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Hard to imagine that O'Hea shouldn't be part of this squad. While the WNBA players are unavailable, is Liz missing due to travel duties with her DJ career?

Reply #639139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olaf and Penny added to the coaching staff, because what the Opals really needed was two more coaches not based in Australia. Lol

Reply #639142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant believe we are still taking hodges and snell.

Reply #639143 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

O'Hea didn't go to the selection camp - perhaps she is injured? same goes for Jarry. I doubt they would just not attend for no reason. Liz chose to DJ instead of making herself available for the camp/tournament - as a side note I think that's a pretty ordinary decision, but fortunately for her she can afford to put the opals to the side as she'll always get picked if she chooses to be available.

IMO that 12 is pretty spot on, bar 1 or 2 selections. I would've thought someone like Mijovic, Kunek or Tomlinson would get a look in ahead of Griffin purely based on the fact that come any other tournament where WNBA players are available that naturalised spot would go to either Mitchell or Whitcomb.

Reply #639144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Snell is 36....
Hodges 33...

Why isn't batkovic there?

Reply #639145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Cant believe we are still taking hodges and snell.'

I can. If this wasn't already clear, Brondello plays very heavily with her personal favourites.

Reply #639146 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I think I read somewhere ages ago that Batkovic was giving the opals a break for a bit after what happened with Rio selection.

IMO I think the squad needed at least one of Hodges/Snell, personally I'd go Hodges before Snell but anyway, for their leadership and experience at international level. Most of the players in attendance at the camp were very inexperienced at international level.

Reply #639149 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4683613/batkovic-yet-to-make-call-on-opals-future/

here is the article re Batkovic

Reply #639150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take out
Garrick, snell and hodges

Add in..
Wallace, kunek, Tomlinson

Reply #639152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'IMO I think the squad needed at least one of Hodges/Snell, personally I'd go Hodges before Snell but anyway, for their leadership and experience at international level. Most of the players in attendance at the camp were very inexperienced at international level.'

If the Opals can't sweep Asia Cup competition without those two BA should just pack up the programme and invest in women's footy. Tall Ferns are bringing a B team and Japan isn't calling in their one WNBA player.

Reply #639154 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm all for having some vets in for tournaments like this. If you just have nothing but youngsters I think it can be counterproductive.
It does seem like having both Hodges & Bishop is a bit of overkill though. I'd probably prefer to have Mijovic in there.
I'm fine with the team though. Certainly enough talent there to get the job done.

Any chance we'll get to see these games live?

Reply #639155 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, I vote for vets too, the younger players will get more out of it because Hodges and Snell are around sharing their experience on and off court.

Reply #639170 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'd prefer to see the following Opals team:

Mansfield
Tupaea
O'Hea
Ebzery
Cumming
Murray
Blicavs
Griffin
Bishop
Mijovic
Tolo
Batkovic

Reply #639175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tupaea is not a pg.

Reply #639176 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

You're right, Tupaea, only plays as a PG

Reply #639177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best squad possible?

5'7 L.Mansfield
5'8 T.Lavey or 5'10 A.Clydesdale
5'10 K.Ebzery
5'10 S.Whitcomb
5'11 S.Blicavs(Cumming)
6'2 R.Allen
6'2 S.Blicavs
6'2 S.Talbot
6'4 E.Magbegor
6'5 M.Tolo
6'5 A.Bunton
6'8 E.Cambage

Reply #639178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitcomb & Allen both play in the WNBA & so aren't available & Liz is too busy at Glastonbury!

Reply #639179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can add Talbot to that list too!

Reply #639180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not saying best available. best possible team we can put together....

Reply #639181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you think Whitcomb is more value than Mitchell?

Reply #639183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention Bunton & Magbegor over George & Batkovic!?! Bahahah

Reply #639184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing batkovic is done at 36-37 and Yeah I would take Magbegor over George.

Reply #639185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magbegor over George. Ok mate. Jog on!

Reply #639186 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mitchell
Mansfield
Allen
Ebzery
Cumming
O'Hea
Blicavs
George
Bishop
Tolo
Batkovic
Cambage

Reply #639188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not joking. Much more mobile than George, her length will cause problems on the defensive end and she can beat her man off the dribble.

George is obviously more of a perimeter threat wth her shooting ability but she is currently playing center behind Griner and on occasion pf.

The international game is much faster and we will already have Cambage, Tolo, (batkovic or Bunton as centre options).

Reply #639189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George can simply not keep in front of the likes of Parker, della Donne or ogwumike.

Reply #639190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no point even worrying about Team USA if we don't get out of the quarters. That was Joyce's theory by picking Burton as well. The reality is, George is a long way advanced of Magbegor right here and right now. Magbegor has the potential to be a world class player, but she's not in our best 12 as we speak.

Reply #639191 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Her D hasn't improved, and this season she's not hitting her shots either unfortunately, so Phoenix recently picked up Angel Robinson as a free agent. Cayla didn't even hit the floor in yesterday's game.

Bec Allen is having a disappointing season too.

Mitchell & Whitcomb are earning their keep, and Steph Talbot is doing very nicely - holding her starting spot all season despite the Mercury recently adding Mo Currie to the roster.

Reply #639192 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

And yes, I fully agree that the obsession with the USA needs to stop. We are nowhere near them right now, and need to focus on beating the beatable teams.

Reply #639193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, don't aim for the best...

Not a great attitude.

Reply #639194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting 5

Mansfield
Whitcomb
Talbot
Blicavs
Cambage

Reply #639195 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No, what is not a great attitude is constructing a team for the specific purpose of beating the USA, and then not advancing anywhere close to them in the tournament.
Aiming for the best is exactly what we should be doing. As in, aiming for our best possible result, as opposed to aiming to win one particular match (and then not having a clue how to even do that)

Reply #639196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about we just pick our best possible team & worry about where we finish after that? Picking players based on who we may or may not be able to beat is fraught with danger. Recent history has shown us that.

Reply #639197 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

At least we attempted to pick the best available Head coach this time, as opposed to appointing ( essentially) the only one who was prepared to move and live where BA wanted them to.

I don't know if we will do better than the last two under-performing (IMHO) head coaches, because we don't have the same exceptional caliber of players peaking as we had then, but just challenging for a medal in both WC and O's for the next 6 years would be appreciated and a step up. That is, I hope that this coaching group helps the team perform well as opposed to holding them back like the last two lots, I'll be very happy

Reply #639207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why I think we should be looking to the future and not relying on veterans.

No player above 30 should be chosen. Only have to make top 4 to qualify for worlds.

Reply #639209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It sounds like Brondello thought so little of Chambers/Gorris being able to coach this team she brought in her husband and a friend with virtually zero coaching experience.

Reply #639211 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It sounds to me like Brondello is unable to make it to India, so she brought in 2 people who know her system back to front.

Reply #639213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "husband" you speak of is the brains behind their coaching tandem.

Reply #639214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "husband" who underachieves with a stacked Russian team in EuroLeague being the "brains" of the "coaching tandem" doesnt leave me with heaps of optimism.

Reply #639217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's better than Joyce.

Reply #639221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol 'better than Joyce' needs to work it's way into my everyday conversational banter. Unfortunately I'm limited in the number of folks who'd get it.

Reply #639222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel you. I have so many funny NBL/Ausbball references to use but they wouldn't work in day to day life because of public ignorance of it. :(

Reply #639224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd still like the know why O'Hea isn't playing?

Reply #639228 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So the BA appointed assistant coaches who are supposed to take the reins when the head coach can't, have been shoved out the way by two coaches the absent head coach prefers.

It's actually become a comedy act , what the hell is happening in BA/Opals, think it's time Sterling was moved on, along with a few others.

Cambage should be dropped permanently, only excuse for not attending or making yourself available is injury or illness, and that includes those playing WNBA.

The USA players are always able to make their commitments because the WNBA allow for that, but won't fit other countries schedules in

Same as allowing players to attend just two days because their college won't let them go, or slotting in a replacement who was never even in the squad when those already listed should have been called upon.

Holding camps overseas, costing huge amounts from a budget already struggling, so a coach who's going to be unavailable can attend, Christ the WNBA team she coaches was on a break hence why they could use the facilities, so why the hell could they not just fly her over.

Absolute circus

Reply #639230 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Noticed on the press release it has Alex Bunton as ENG as her nationality, does that mean she's taken the one "naturalised" player spot.

omen's Asia Cup Team:

4 Lavey Tessa Swan Hill AUS
5 Bunton Alexandra Lincoln ENG
6 Mansfield Lauren Elizabeth Vale AUS
7 Garrick Madeleine Shepparton AUS
8 Blicavs Stephanie Dandenong AUS
9 Griffin Kelsey Anchorage USA
10 Ebzery Katie Noble Park AUS
11 Hodges Laura Ashford AUS
12 Snell Belinda Mirboo North AUS
13 Bishop Abby Booleroo Centre AUS
14 Tolo Marianna Mackay AUS
15 Blicavs Sara Melbourne AUS

Reply #639231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George is very ordinary but Magbegor is a long way off being ready, and yet to be seen whether she ever will be. Being ok at SEABL level in your 3rd season is hardly compelling form for a national senior team.

Reply #639232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Noticed on the press release it has Alex Bunton as ENG as her nationality, does that mean she's taken the one "naturalised" player spot."

You didn't also notice that Griffin says "USA"??

Reply #639234 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I think Bunton may be like Cambage in that they were both born O/S but moved to AUS at a young age. hence they are classified as Australians as opposed to the naturalised Griffin/Whitcomb who came over here as adults.

On Magbegor, sure she's likely an Opals star of the future, but today? No chance. She hasn't even played at senior level yet (SEABL IMO doesn't count, you've got 2-4 WNBL players on each list, the rest are kids or semi-pros). It'd be a big step up from playing SEABL and u17/19 world championships to playing WNBL let alone a senior international tournament in terms of physicality, tempo and the skill sets of the players.

I think Cambage is an interesting one, she could without a doubt be one of the best current players in the world if she applied herself. Virtually the same team came 3rd at the WC minus Liz, which makes me question whether the team would work better without her - especially given her lack of commitment in recent years. I don't think it's fair that someone who makes themselves available at each camp etc and plays virtually year round when not injured will get tossed out come WC / Olympic time because she wants to play.

Reply #639235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cambage is already one of the best players in the world even though she doesn't give a bleep. she could have been the best but she can't be bothered and years later some people are still in denial about it. take her or leave her but ffs stop expecting her to change she is not going to.

Reply #639236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Camvage could be one of the greats of women's basketball if she tried, but she is far from the worlds best now and has yet to prove she ever was, she's just one of the worlds tallest , just because your tall does NOT mean your good
She is always unfit, can't or won't run, has s terrible attitude on and off the court , and she may be able to dunk the ball but it takes more than that to be the world best , wouldn't insult those that are by putting her in with them

Reply #639238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Virtually the same team came 3rd at the WC minus Liz, which makes me question whether the team would work better without her"

Yes, back then. At least when Taylor was playing, now, most definitely not. The Rio Opals did their best game against France when Cambage was out due to fouls and Taylor played her natural game, getting herself involved and, because of how Taylor plays, getting others involved as well. The Cambage Game is all Liz and nothing else.

Reply #639241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ agreed.....its always ALL about Liz.....you really have to aks is she really needed?,my answer would be NO

Reply #639244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic that Liz chooses when to play. Suspend her until she gets back on the right track.

Reply #639249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yet people are cool when batkovic does exactly the same thing and makes herself available only in olympic years

Reply #639251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ agreed. Liz is far from the only player to pick and choose her Opals commitments even when there aren't other basketball commitments.

Reply #639253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point. It should apply to all of them.

Reply #639254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bombarce - На здоровье !

Reply #639255 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I agree, Liz definitely isn't the only offender. Although it doesn't seem as if there is any sort of 'punishment' so to speak for players who pick and choose when they want to be an Opal. Perhaps this is a cultural thing, because I remember hearing Michele Timms speak one time about what it meant to be an Opal and it certainly didn't seem as if skipping duties would've gone down well in that era.

I think to stop it they need to disqualify anyone who skips any kind of Opals camp - excluding injury/illness or club/WNBA commitments they are unable to get out of of course - from playing in the next WC or Olympics. It is extreme, but IMO would benefit the squad in terms of cohesion from the majority having already played together in the lead up and it'd probably put a stop to those who only want to play in the Olympics/WC.

Reply #639264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Cambages choice as to what she does, if she doesn't want to play move on. Just say if she's wants in or out then don't worry about her again.
On a side note now Taurasi is married to an Australian can she switch sides(no pun intended) and play for Australia even though she has represented USA.

Reply #639269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree totally with Melb Fan, so many players would find it a total honour to be asked to represent their country and this new wave of Opals seem to think its their god given right and they are doing the country a favour with gracing the camps with their presence.

baring injury or illness or commitments for basketball you cannot get out of, then no excuse should be acceptable. commit or allow others to take your place, give those that want the opportunity the chance.

But BA seem to make huge allowances for some players in all ages, they are renowned for taking injured players away on the tours just in case they are ready by the competition date. Its happening again this time for un19s apparently, instead of calling in the emergencies they take a player on the off chance their injury will be right by worlds, very very wrong IMO.

For all Joyces faults he did discount players who refused to make themselves available and called in emergencies when required

BA need a huge shake up.

Reply #639282 | Report this post

finals688  
Years ago

The netball Diamonds choose players that are in form and not on reputation. Diamonds coach attends many Super league games and views tape of others she can't get to so that she can accurately determine who is playing well.
Netball is absolutely shredding womens basketball , just look at the news media, crowds, TV deals etc etc,
As I have said before head hunt Netball administrators that have the knowledge and proven track record bring Womens basketball out of the dark place it is at the moment.

Reply #639389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No point, BA are duds. BA needs a do over. Start from there.

Reply #639393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This tournament will be a wake up call for the opals and the staff.
We are going to be out run by a few teams.

Alot of our players don't have big gas tanks and we will struggle if we don't beat them in the paint.

Reply #639408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thrown the young ones into the deep end and wouldn't have cared if we finished 4th.

5'7 Mansfield 27 PG
5'8 Lavey 24 PG
5'10 Ebzery 27 CG
5'10 Garrick 25 SG
5'11 Cumming 26 SG
6'2 Kunek 26 SF
6'2 Blicavs 24 SF
6'3 Bishop 28 PF
6'4 Smith 21 PF
6'5 Tolo 28 PF/C
6'5 Scherf 21 C
6'5 Bunton 24 C

Vets Out
5'11 Snell 36-37 SG
6'2 Griffin 30-31 PF
6'3 Hodges 33-34 PF

Reply #639410 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Opals squad changes

"Abby Bishop and Alex Bunton have undergone MRI scans and concerns with Bishop's ankle and Bunton’s knee will see them require corrective surgery instead of travelling with the Opals to India.
As their replacements, Alanna Smith will make her debut with the Opals while Alice Kunek, a FIBA Oceania gold medallist in 2015, will again represent the national team."

http://basketball.net.au/injuries-force-alterations-to-opals-team-ahead-of-fiba-asia-cup/

Reply #639573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A sf forward replaces a pf and a pf replaces a c. Odd.

I would have thought the best alternative would have been
Scherf-Bunton
Tomlinson-Bishop

Reply #639575 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Not surprised Kunek got the nod, but very, very surprised Smith was chosen as she only attended the last few days of camp. I'd have thought Mijovic or Tomlinson would be better suited, at least in terms of taking some backing C minutes.

Very unfortunate for Bishop and Bunton though, hopefully they get themselves better asap

Reply #639598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mijovic needs to learn how to play defense before she can make an Opals squad

Reply #639607 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ I agree with the above about Louella being a better replacement for Bunton. Maybe not as big, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter quite so much against most Asian teams. She's at home playing the 5, and can also step out and hit some shots.

Now we've only got one true centre on the team. I really don't think that's wise.

Reply #639616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the deal with O'Hea, surely she would be a better replacement than Kunek, both play the same position it's not like they have replaced Bishops and Bunton with like for like

Reply #639682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we too slow for this tournament?

Snell, hodges, Griffin, Tolo etc aren't exactly quick.

Reply #640270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754