Zodiac
Years ago

Las Vegas SL: Utah vs Portland

Now that the Orlando & Utah Summer League's have finished the big one in Las Vegas started this morning and the Jazz play their first game against Portland on Sunday morning at 11am EST (I think?).

Will be interesting to see if Sobey & Creek get any court time for the Jazz and if Exum continues his good form from the Utah SL.

Topic #41492 | Report this topic

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well I'm looking forward to watching Sobey play his first SL game, especially after seeing Prather and Trice today.

Prather 22min, 8 pt/4 rb/1 ass/1 stl/3 blk
Trice 19min, 7 pt/ 2 rb/2 ass/3 stl

Both were playing well defensively but shot poorly. Prather 2/8 FG and Trice 3/10 FG. If they were more efficient, their play would certainly raise some eyebrows. As it is, Prather already drawing some attention with his 3 blocks and speed. Both featured on the highlights below (Prather in white #10 and Trice in black #1).

Theoretically Sobey should be able to match or surpass what those two put on display. Well fingers crossed.

Reply #639259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theoretically Prather would kick Sobey's ass every day. What a joke post. Sobey's athleticism in the NBA is a dime a dozen...entry level! Cool he may get a run but please

Reply #639260 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Sobey's athleticism in the NBA is a dime a dozen...entry level!"

Sobey's athleticism is above average in the NBA for his position (point guard). Name point guards more athletic then him in the playoffs? Apparently they are so common so you should be able to come up with a big list.....

Anyway doesn't mean he will make the NBA but it is still an asset of his. I think his biggest chance is actually his 3 point shooting.

Reply #639262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey a point guard...you sir are a fool

Reply #639263 | Report this post

Sen dog  
Years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Kyrie Irving is more athletic than Nathan Sobey.

Giannis Antetokounmpo played some point as well...probably just slightly more athletic than Sobey.

Reply #639268 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Exum is on his way back to Australia, Not playing Vegas

Reply #639272 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Kyrie Irving is more athletic than Nathan Sobey.

No way, have people on here not seen much of Sobey? The guy gets thrown alleys catches it on the baseline cocks it back with two hands and dunks it seemingly still rising.

Sobey's got NBA elite athleticism for a guard let alone NBL that's why four NBA teams were trying to sign him to their SL teams. I'm not saying he'll make the NBA but he has NBA scouts drooling over his athleticism.

Reply #639277 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Thanks to Andrew's excellent work at Spatial Jam, lets see Prather vs. Sobey last season.

Prather 31 gms 30.5 mins 43%FG 33%3FG 80%FT 4.3RB 3.4ASS 1.6STL 3.2TO

Sobey 29 gms 27.1 mins 44%FG 41%3FG 80%FT 4.9RB 4.1ASS 1.0STL 1.6TO

Theoretically I see them on par, with Sobey actually having slightly superior numbers. So the claim of Prather kicking arse is anecdotal in a 5 on 5 team setting and can only be proven by testing it one on one on a computer game yeah?

Reply #639278 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Jazz just lost to Blazers (63-72). Both Sobey and Creek got some court time with Creek playing better but Sobey not that good in his debut.

Creek got 10 minutes, shot 2/3 for 4pts with no rebound/assist, 1 turnover and 2 fouls. Sobey played 9 minutes, shot 0/5 including 0/2 from 3pt also no rebound/assist, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls.

Reply #639281 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

My time zone calculating skills clearly aren't what they once where but good to see the guys get a run, they'll need to do a lot more than that though to get training camp invites.

Reply #639283 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A few noteworthy comments for the NBL's write up of Day 2:

Another to play well was Adelaide 36ers star Mitch Creek. Checking in off the bench for Utah, Creek was a menace defensively, frustrating numerous Portland players with off-ball denials, excellent containment and solid block-outs. At one point, Blazers guard RJ Hunter and Creek clashed when Hunter became irritated by Creek's intense defensive pressure. Both players were slapped with technical fouls but the moment only served to highlight the energy Creek was bringing to the Jazz line-up.

Tomorrow’s matchup against the Los Angeles Clippers will be a big one for Sobey, with Clippers head coach and GM Doc Rivers telling NBL Media today that he thinks highly of the athletic Aussie guard.

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/webster-prather-impress-summer-league/

Reply #639300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754