SteveK2
Years ago

Isaac Humphries released by Wizards

As per Olgun Uluc's tweet he was dropped before their first Summer League game. A major setback for the young man. With 4 centres in the lineup, he was going to struggle for minutes anyways. Where to for him now? Europe or NBL?

Topic #41494 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Premier League

Reply #639280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wednesday night social

Reply #639284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows, he's either taken bad advice or making poor decisions. Unathletic 7" with short wing span, someone in the Nbl might take a punt. Reminds me a bit of Jordan Vandenburg who is now playing in Japan.

Reply #639291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl team will definitely take a punt. How he goes is another story... but he will be given oppourtunity. Lets not forget ben allen and all his chances to be more than a 3 point shooter with glorious hair.

Reply #639293 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Just watched the Sydney kings video they put up today. Jeff and Andrew said Isaac will be working out infront of the kings tomorrow

Reply #639299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon re Ben Allan, He averaged 10 points as a senior in college on a team that went to the sweet 16 and still remains the best result in school history. He stretched the floor and covered the paint when Samhan was off, he was always going to get years to prove he belonged.

Reply #639302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries will be with the kings by end of July

Reply #639305 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I suspect the Kings are not as desperate to secure his signature as they were earlier. He would still be high on their list but it seems they have managed to attract quite a few interest from equally if not more talented or proven bigs.

Rakeem Christmas would have been a very outside chance prior to the Orlando Summer League but with his recent injury and subsequent mediocre showing, he just got waived by the Pacers. You'd have to wonder what kind of conversation Gaze would've had with him during that coaching stint.

Reply #639306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anybody thought maybe he's just not that good. OK junior career with his height, now going up against similar sizes he's just really ordinary.

Reply #639322 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Isaac was looking pretty good in workouts, I think he'd still do well in the NBL and after not reaching a Summer League team would give him a bit of motivation to work that much harder to prove people wrong and get back there next season... Agree with Steve that maybe the desperation isn't there that they would have to pay more to get him, but hopefully this has driven his stock down a little bit that it's made the NBL more appealing but the Kings would still see the value in getting a talented local kid in... As a backup, he'd be great, but they were selling him as a starter pre-Summer league but that wouldn't be the case now, I'd imagine...

Apparently they put an offer to Mangok Mathiang as well, who I think did pretty good for Charlotte in SL so not sure of any chance to play in the NBL, but he'd be a much better starter level, wouldn't he?

Reply #639329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, he declared as a pro to try at an NBA summer league after not getting drafted, therefore his college career in the USA on scholarship is over, correct?

Reply #639358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ correct

Reply #639363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries didn't play much last season so it's hard to read much positive into his on-court performances, but what I did see was promising. High effort level for a kid his size, and I think it's easy to forget how young he is, especially when you look at him compared to say a Jock Landale. He's not real quick or athletic and I don't think he's a major impact player in the NBL next season, but I don't find it hard to imagine him being better than, say, Brock Motum. Not making the NBA as a 19-year-old doesn't exactly spell the end of his career.

Reply #639386 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

^^ Well said there. Not making the NBA shouldn't be the end of your professional basketball career. Brock Motum did make it into the NBA but even out of it currently, he is in high demand in the Euroleague. Just recently signed by Anadolu Efes on a lucrative 1 year deal rumoured to be at least 500-600k. Maybe not NBA money but not too shabby either.

Aside from his lack of playing time making it difficult to assess him, I reckon Humphries may also be a victim of the new vogue in the NBA of going small. 6'9" guys with outside shooting ability, fast, athletic with enough strength and wingspan to protect the rim. Even Dwight Howard finds it hard to fit in with this new style.

Good assessment as well with Humphries unlikely to be a major impact player if he does play in the NBL. Consistency may be his biggest challenge. If he could contribute similar to what Alex Pledger does for the Breakers, it would be a good debut. If he struggles then he may have to face the reality that he may need a few more years of improving his game.

Reply #639390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754