Isaac
Years ago

Aron Baynes signs $4m/1y deal with Boston

Shams Charania:

Free agent center Aron Baynes has reached agreement on a one-year, $4.3M deal with the Boston Celtics, league sources tell The Vertical.

Topic #41497 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

Its a good situation for him. He's immediately their best true centre so will be able to back up and play alongside Horford and gives them a genuinely good rebounder. Playing for one of the bes5 teams in the conference means he'll get noticed if he does have a big year which will help the next contract.

Left some money on the table when opting out in Detroit which was always a risk (no matter what some people think...) but I think he's landed in a good spot.

I kind of expected Bogut to end up here, so not sure where he might go now.

Reply #639330 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wasn't he on 3-year $20m with Pistons? I'm not sure what he was supposed to be paid on the last year that he opted out, but if it was even split $7m/yr then this would be a massive paycut. Bad strategic move by his agent you'd think.

Reply #639331 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The third year of that deal was a player option for $6.5m that he just opted out of and although $2m is in our eyes a lot to walk away from he's made plenty so far in his career and he gets to showcase himself on an ECF team instead of still being stuck in Detroit.

It wouldn't have been the plan no doubt when he first opted out but this is a pretty good situation to land in at just the expense of $2.2m. Even if he does nothing he will have a lot more interest next year than this year.

Reply #639334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun Uluc:

Sources: Aron Baynes declined offers from the Rockets, Clippers, and Pistons, before signing with the Celtics.

Good vote of confidence from Stevens to bring him in, even if the price was good for Boston.

Reply #639338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram is very worried about Aron now. Poor guy only got $4milly.

Reply #639339 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Oh good one of the anons that doesn't understand the concept of risk to contribute nothing to the conversation. Well done you.

Reply #639341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what?

Reply #639343 | Report this post

Cram Sandwich LOL  
Years ago

Let's see....

6.5 million to play for a potential 7-8 seed in the Leastern Conference or 4.3 million to play for a potential conference champion.

I know which one I'd choose. If I were Aron, which I'm not, I'd be thrilled to be playing for the Celtics instead of Detroit.

Having spent significant time in both... Boston is a better city, offers a much better lifestyle and is just an overall better city than Detroit. At the end of the day, what's a million or so after tax? Not a whole lot really. Especially not when he's got more cash than what he knows what to do with the for the remainder of his and his grand children's lives.

Reply #639357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Was just having a dig a Cram as he was worried last month about how much Aron would be getting paid ;)

Reply #639360 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I'd do just abour anything not to live in Detroit too to be honest. Absolute hole.

Reply #639365 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

You don't need to have lived in either city to know Boston is going to be better lol

Reply #639368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boston has the Cheers bar, so you get to drink where everybody knows your name!

Reply #639371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Suspect he'll have to get used to the lobster instead of BBQ though. #prayforaron

Reply #639377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now he's going to look like a giant leprechaun.

Reply #639381 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754