Anonymous
Years ago

New Sports Centre at Lightsview looking good

Great to see the new rec centre are taking their time and getting plenty of feedback. Hopefully it's better than the ARC fiasco where only two courts are full size and the others are short because they messed it up, so only div one and two Norwood teams are the only ones to play there Friday night, so much for them finally finding a home.

http://www.portenf.sa.gov.au/lightsviewrechub

Topic #41501 | Report this topic

+  
Years ago

Yes it is great - some positive moves amongst the community creating jobs, supporting sport and vision for all those new families living in the Northgate / Oakden area. And the right size, St Clair sounds good as well, are West going to also work from there ? Activity planned up in Mt Barker - another growth area. Well done to the people involved.

Reply #639405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did BSA get ARC so wrong or was that more Norwood

Reply #639424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be Norwood who got that wrong

Reply #639433 | Report this post

Jayden k smith  
Years ago

Is there a projected date for opening ?

Reply #639522 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

i don't know that it was Norwood who got it wrong as such, it is a community centre so there are restrictions on the size and space there was to work with.

i think as is the norm with some of the people who are the voice of Norwood they omitted to mention this when spruking the new stadium to anyone who would listen. i am sure they didn't just realise the courts weren't full during the build!

the Lightsview project will be awesome for North, and basketball in SA in general. Fingers crossed they pull off the 5 full courts and can put hands up to host bigger tournys.

Looking forward to watching the club grow and not at the expense of the existing members and kids as i am sure they kept a close eye on the disaster that was Norwood's growth (hope they did)

Reply #639527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The three undersize courts at ARC are the ones that have been there for 40+ years, so no blame for ARC, Norwood or BSA. No surprises either.

Reply #639599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when built 40yrs ago were they for something else other than bball?

Reply #639603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we spend $20mill+ of tax payers money on a facility which is not fit for purpose, is flawed from day one. And now we are stuck with undersized courts for the next 40 years!!

Someone in government should lose his job over that.

Reply #639646 | Report this post

Truth Teller  
Years ago

The back three courts at the ARC as stated above are the same size as the previous installation at Campbelltown Leisure Center. The steel structure over those three courts weren't replaced, all that occurred was that the walls were knocked down and the new facility built onto it.

Saying that if BSA were involved that were not to occur is a hypothetical that cannot be proved, but the track record suggests that BSA couldn't get the job done. Prior to the last president and current management of Norwood coming on-board it seemed that Norwood were on track to disappear. Now they have a growth problem, which is a much better problem to have.

What these clubs should do is work together for the good of the sport. Yes Norwood had issues scaling up but they had to fight tooth and nail for everything they got. There are some very good lessons which clubs can learn from to improve the sport.

Reply #639648 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Absolutely, time to work together.

With the rise in girls AFL i am aware of the best and most talented female juniors being approached to concentrate on AFL by reps and coaches. The pathway is so well mapped out and the game is growing in attractiveness for the girls, i suspect if BSA and the clubs dont get their acts together there is going to be alot of talented kids leaving the sport and that is sad.

Reply #639702 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754